Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough! We may finish the season in the top 6 but we aren’t a sky6 team.  Anyway I only care about Villa so not bothered either way but I know it means a lot to the players.  

Same, I prefer they don’t get called up to avoid injuries or heads being turned. But as you say it’s a big thing for the players.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He scares me. In a good way.  His intelligence is off the charts. He is a man who could physically destroy most people but he can do it with words equally well.  

He's been a great servant already to Villa and I'm excited for the rest of his career with us.

However, I'm almost more excited to see what he will do with his life after football.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

at exactly 29 mins, Mings talks about what Emery taught/said to him when he first came in, very, very interesting.

Basically for those too lazy to listen, Mings says roughly....

"Emery sat me down and pointed to a clip board (with a pitch picture on it), Emery said, sometimes i see you here, sometimes here, sometimes over there, sometimes tackling here and there, a recovery tackle here, covering over there, out of position there, i dont want that from you, i want you do do your job in your role, and let the others be responsible for their role".

Then Mings says in a nice-ish way, that historically they kind of played "off the cuff" a lot, but with Emery he has kind of complicated it, but also simplified it, where we all know what we are doing if we are in front, behind, going forward, in midfield, in defence, low block, pressing, what we do in many situations", where as before, with other managers a lot of the time they just did things off the cuff with no specific planning in a lot of scenarios.

very interesting.

A very sad indictment of the previous managers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

at exactly 29 mins, Mings talks about what Emery taught/said to him when he first came in, very, very interesting.

Basically for those too lazy to listen, Mings says roughly....

"Emery sat me down and pointed to a clip board (with a pitch picture on it), Emery said, sometimes i see you here, sometimes here, sometimes over there, sometimes tackling here and there, a recovery tackle here, covering over there, out of position there, i dont want that from you, i want you do do your job in your role, and let the others be responsible for their role".

Then Mings says in a nice-ish way, that historically they kind of played "off the cuff" a lot, but with Emery he has kind of complicated it, but also simplified it, where we all know what we are doing if we are in front, behind, going forward, in midfield, in defence, low block, pressing, what we do in many situations", where as before, with other managers a lot of the time they just did things off the cuff with no specific planning in a lot of scenarios.

very interesting.

Interesting mention of the coach 'Rodri' who works with players individually - Mings said he's never had this before. Just looked him up - Antonio Saravia is his full name. He's on here: https://trainingground.guru/staff-profiles/aston-villa-staff-profiles

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think it’s much more common than people realise, even at the highest level. Some really elite managers have let their teams play off the cuff. Emery just happens to be very focused on positional discipline, and that’s probably what these players needed. If you’re coaching a Real Madrid type squad, it might not be necessary.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it’s much more common than people realise, even at the highest level. Some really elite managers have let their teams play off the cuff. Emery just happens to be very focused on positional discipline, and that’s probably what these players needed. If you’re coaching a Real Madrid type squad, it might not be necessary.

Ancelotti’s teams are well known for their lack of rigidity but even he still has catered game plans per opponent. 

Think there’s just a general lack of tactical acumen for British managers sadly enough. Not a glowing review when Eddie Howe is the only British manager in the top half of the league. 

• Like 1

It will take the british managers a while to catch up.  So many have failed because they were brought up in an era where blood and guts and off the cuff football was more of the norm. 

The ones that will do well are the ones playing now and learning off a Pep a Klopp or an Emery. 

In 10 /15 years they will be so much better tactically and their understanding of the game 

Look at how Lampard came out when he joined chelsea for the 3rd time. I will get passion and pride and effort. No mention of tacitcs whatsoever thinking just those attributes would carry him through.

20 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The game has moved on an unbelievable amount in 10-15 years. Managers like Emery have changed it for everyone else.

Take away his mistakes and there are probably only a handful of centre halves better than him in Europe. That’s how good I think he is/can be on his day. 

He gives you pretty much everything you want in a centre half - pace, strength, aerial ability, good reading of the game. It’s always been his mistakes that have let him down. He’d give away a goal every 5/6 games previously - not sure if he’s past that under Emery but the signs are good.

With that being said, I do wish he’d score a couple more from corners. Like Laursen used to! 

• Thanks 1

Â