Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Just to bring this Gerrard quote over here. I'd be very very annoyed if the captaincy was taken from Mings. He epitomises what I want from a skipper, very very clearly the leader on the pitch, eloquent off it. He cares a great deal. I think stripping the captaincy would be disrespectful and if I was Tyrone I'd be massively demotivated by it. It'd be highly unlikely that he'd be usurped as leader on the pitch in any case, and I can't imagine anyone that could do a better job of the off the pitch stuff (I don't think anyone else does in the league). 

I'd like to believe it's a "show me what you can do" to Mings, but to be honest, I don't see any value in it being said publicly, or it doing much that having a word privately wouldn't have done, without the perception of publicly undermining him.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'd like to believe it's a "show me what you can do" to Mings, but to be honest, I don't see any value in it being said publicly, or it doing much that having a word privately wouldn't have done, without the perception of publicly undermining him.

Also what even is the point of a "show me what you can do" when he's been one of our and England's best players in recent months? It makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

To challenge players publicly can possibly be effective short term, when the player wants to prove the idiot manager wrong. Not sure it’s a smart way to motivate long term.

Players don’t run through walls for Klopp because they want to prove him wrong. They do it because they for some reason respect and trust him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Talk of mings been taken off as captain. Dont think that will sit well with tyrone. Wouldnt be suprised if he moves on in summer if this occurs

Indeed, none of this should have been public knowledge if there is any truth.

This could potentially only make things worse than they already are, till end of season.

The problem is, how do we make a change without " upsetting people "? Is the only solution having Mings as Captain forever?

Jack was Captain before he left, but Ming's has always been the " leader ".

I'd say Martinez should be next in line, I used to have McGinn in that pot, but it's difficult to have a Captain who often passes to opposition.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, none of this should have been public knowledge if there is any truth.

This could potentially only make things worse than they already are, till end of season.

The problem is, how do we make a change without " upsetting people "? Is the only solution having Mings as Captain forever?

Jack was Captain before he left, but Ming's has always been the " leader ".

I'd say Martinez should be next in line, I used to have McGinn in that pot, but it's difficult to have a Captain who often passes to opposition.

The captain has been swapped at Villa before. Mellberg and Barry were removed as captain before, I think Vlaar and Chester as well

None was ever mentioned in the media

• Like 1

It might have been meant as a message to a potential signing, "If you come here you can be Captain". I'm sure if it was, it would have been discussed with Tyrone in advance, he's grown up, he gets stuff.

Also, while we're at it, Tyrone had a mixed but decent start to the season, but I think has played really well since Christmas - he's a player that's improved under Gerrard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also, while we're at it, Tyrone had a mixed but decent start to the season, but I think has played really well since Christmas - he's a player that's improved under Gerrard.

At the moment he seems to be playing better without Konsa as Chambers offers better passing options which allows him to concentrate on his own game instead of being the sole passer from the back

• Like 2

As much as I like Mings I do think he is a tiny bit slightly overrated by us Villa fans. He reminds me of David James, ultimately is great at his job but is slightly haphazard and calamitous. Always a big error in him that seems to cost us points. 

I think taking the captaincy off of him and the responsibilities that comes with it may help him focus and work on his own game a bit more and not on the whole team. I can understand the thinking behind this, takes the pressure of his shoulders that he may have for being responsible for the team on the pitch, it can be distracting, so in that sense I get it but the way it has come across isn’t very good imo, not good optics. Gerrard inadvertently may burn bridges unnecessarily with his man management style, which does not bode well for building a team. 

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It might have been meant as a message to a potential signing, "If you come here you can be Captain". I'm sure if it was, it would have been discussed with Tyrone in advance, he's grown up, he gets stuff.

Would that be attractive to a potential signing, the possibility of becoming captain right away? To me it would signal ”the team is in turmoil and we expect you to sort this mess out”.

I can understand the thinking but Gerrard talking about it publicly isn't needed.

Could easily have just quietly changed it in the summer.

Or, if they really wanted to acknowledge it publicly, Mings has already said earlier in the year he initially struggled with the responsibilities of it alongside his own game - could easily have him say he requested to be taken off at the end of the season to focus on his own game.

Third option is to just sell him and have it not be a problem, but that seems drastic.

Just no need to make a public issue of the captaincy in an already tumultuous and difficult season. Lots of options to deal with it later and without debate or questions

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Gerrard is making the captaincy out to be a bigger deal than what it should be.

I wonder how much of it is because he himself was such a good example of what a traditional captain should be, I wonder if he internalised the made up importance of captaincy.

He's unlikely to find an example like himself in modern football with pretty much any club. Few and far between and he shouldn't chase that player as he'll likely alienate good, useful players in the hunt for a quality he simply wont find

• Like 1

This won't be popular, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Mings will be replaced as captain, and quite possibly will be moved on this summer.  Here's my reasoning:  His defending in and around the penalty area is simply not good enough.  He doesn't get tight enough to opponents and gives them too much space/time on the ball.  He also drops off/blocks the view of the goalkeeper too much.  He is a good defender when the game is in front of him and does a decent job organizing and keeping the shape, but once the ball is past him and/or he is faced with 1v1 situations he is not very good at all.  In fact, I would argue that he is poor.  It's the "ugly" side of defending where he struggles and I think Gerrard will have seen this, both live and in film reviews.  Before Gerrard came in, Smith had dropped him for a game until he got back in due to an injury.  Let me be clear - I like Mings and he has been a good player for us, especially in the second half of the promotion season.  We would need to bring in a very good player to replace him and I have no idea if that player is out there and available.  But if he is, then I wouldn't lose any sleep if we can sell him on - his stock is high as a current England international and still being the right side of 30 years old. 

I think he's a leader and a great vice captain and a great voice on the pitch . Like Maguire though I don't think your captain can be slicing balls for fun and being the most erratic player on the pitch in bad periods.

I think he's actually improved in recent months but he's liable to loose his head.

• Like 1

Its all been a bit strange from Gerrard. Its not like there are any obvious alternative options as the Captain. Even when Jack was here it was often Mings who was effectively doing the captaincy on the pitch. He has been key for us in our promotion and stabilisation in the premier league and is in the England set up. I don't think we could do a lot better than him in the transfer market.  If Gomez is brought in I assume that would be ahead of Konsa as he is right footed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

If Gomez is brought in I assume that would be ahead of Konsa as he is right footed. 

That's a big assumption to make, there are plenty of quality CB partnerships made up of two same footers. You don't play a CB over someone else purely because of their preferred foot.

I don't think Gomez is the answer, though.

Edited by Tom13

Â