Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Here's a question for everyone to ask friends who support other clubs. Do they rate Mings as neutrals? The reason why I say this is because most opposition fans I speak to do not rate him. I don't think it's malice either but he has got a reputation as being a bit error prone. Therefore are Villa supporters blinkered in their view that we do not need to replace him? 

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

My non-villa friends all think he's rubbish... but may well be suffering the same complication most of our fans do. All they see is an unworthy (only got in due to injury) England International, that is only in the news when he's made a mistake, or a non-football related comment.

They don't see the full picture so their opinion probably isn't worth considering really.

Most of the debate here is extremist. Extremism breeds extremism.  The stronger people slate him for his errors, the stronger the defence of him will be.

He has his flaws, so does every other centre back in the league. I think he brings more to the team (on and off the pitch) than he takes away, and we'll struggle to get much better where we are at the moment. I can't take the opinion of him from non-villa fans seriously..

It's classic confirmation bias.

It's known that "Mings makes mistakes" (which he does.  **** hell, show me a footballer who doesn't) and, therefore, any slight mistake - and I mean slight - gets highlighted and scrutinised.  People aren't able to give him credit for the things he does well because "Mings makes mistakes".  And so, when that's all that people focus on, that's all that people will see.  That's exactly what happens in this thread.  It doesn't really matter how a goal comes about, but a lot of people actively look for things that Tyrone Mings has done incorrectly when we concede a goal so they can confirm that "Mings makes mistakes".

The opposite happens in football too, such as "Cristiano Ronaldo is good at free kicks" because he once scored an incredible goal against Portsmouth and did well at Real Madrid.  The overwhelming majority of his direct free kicks smash straight into the wall.  I have no idea when he last scored one - it seems like forever ago - but "Cristiano Ronaldo is good at free kicks".

• Like 4

If hes that bad (and thats a big if imo)  - let Stevie G source a better replacement -  would imagine there will be plenty of takers and he would fetch a hefty fee - more than enough to bring in Joe Gomez ......be careful what you wish for. 

Mings is a decent PL CB but he is not top 6, which is where we are aspiring to be. He is blood and guts and a leader BUT he is also error prone - in games where he doesn't make errors he is "Virgil Van Dijk" but in games where he does suffer lapses you would take Kieran Clark ahead of him!! If we want to progress, he is a player we should look to upgrade imho. I think we would get a decent fee in for him as well, particularly if we could convince Eddie Howe to come back in for him.

If we do upgrade though we need a 25 y/o plus replacement who is a leader. Whilst I rate Konsa highly he does need this alongside him as he still relatively young and inexperienced for a CB.

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Mings is a decent PL CB but he is not top 6

seen that a few times now, we're a long way away from top 6 realistically a couple of years, maybe we're stuck in a bit of a limbo where we have mings and konsa because thats where we are as a team but we are where we are as a team because we have mings and konsa, maybe gerrard can pull another coutinho out of the bag and get a surprising big name CB to come but i see the likes of arsenal buying ben white for £50m and is he top 6 quality?

i hope the club find another developmental player to sit alongside mings for a few years and then eventually replace him, maybe they think we already have him in kerr or feeney because if im honest looking around the league i dont see who this ready made top 6 quality CB is at say southampton or palace or struggling for game time at city or utd (i dont rate gomez) that we can go and snatch off them or even abroad if im honest, add to that also looking around the league i would say west ham need that CB and chelsea will be in the market for 2 this summer

i think replacing mings or konsa with that quality will be **** hard, probably a lot harder than people realise 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

seen that a few times now, we're a long way away from top 6 realistically a couple of years, maybe we're stuck in a bit of a limbo where we have mings and konsa because thats where we are as a team but we are where we are as a team because we have mings and konsa, maybe gerrard can pull another coutinho out of the bag and get a surprising big name CB to come but i see the likes of arsenal buying ben white for £50m and is he top 6 quality?

i hope the club find another developmental player to sit alongside mings for a few years and then eventually replace him, maybe they think we already have him in kerr or feeney because if im honest looking around the league i dont see who this ready made top 6 quality CB is at say southampton or palace or struggling for game time at city or utd (i dont rate gomez) that we can go and snatch off them or even abroad if im honest, add to that also looking around the league i would say west ham need that CB and chelsea will be in the market for 2 this summer

i think replacing mings or konsa with that quality will be **** hard, probably a lot harder than people realise 

Yep except there limitations - and don't try and make them players they aren't. Not that they are bad players by any means. I thought the idea of coaching was to bring out the best in players - not alter there there role to something they aren't as good at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Mings is a decent PL CB but he is not top 6, which is where we are aspiring to be. He is blood and guts and a leader BUT he is also error prone - in games where he doesn't make errors he is "Virgil Van Dijk" but in games where he does suffer lapses you would take Kieran Clark ahead of him!! If we want to progress, he is a player we should look to upgrade imho. I think we would get a decent fee in for him as well, particularly if we could convince Eddie Howe to come back in for him.

If we do upgrade though we need a 25 y/o plus replacement who is a leader. Whilst I rate Konsa highly he does need this alongside him as he still relatively young and inexperienced for a CB.

Who is a top 6 centre back though. Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Lindelof, John Stones, Soyuncu, the incredible ball playing Harry Maguire 

They were regular top 6 Premier League defenders over the last few seasons 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not sure NSWE share your view?

Gerrard has come here with promises re aspirations and transfer resources and I think they will have a proper go in the summer. Bissouma is not coming here to play mid table football ... He can do that at Brighton. I don't believe that we are as far away as you think. With the right recruitment - secure Coutinho, Bissouma, Hickey at LB and upgrade Mings - we can challenge from 4th down.

Equally an upgrade on Mings would not represent a huge net spend as I think he would attract a decent fee in.

As for Kerr Smith and Feeney, they might be great prospects (and I'll keep my 🤞 just like all of us) but I can't see them impacting the first team picture for a good few years yet. CB is a tough position to break in to forma youngster, especially in an aspiring top half team.

I am, of course, playing a bit of fantasy football here but that's what a forum is for and I do think, with our ambitious and wealthy owners backing Stevie G, we can do this?

I do think his levels have dropped a bit this season and there have been some inconsistent performances (much like the team as a whole).

I remember in the summer he spoke about some of his struggles with anxiety whilst on England duty, I wonder if he’s having a bit of a tough year or so with it all, I think given what’s happened over recent years many people have struggled with heightened anxiety and stress so it would be perfectly understandable, despite the fame and fortune, they’re still people just like you and I.

I’ve taken it as an assumption that the chewing gum thing is part of his approach to dealing with anxiety too, as an aside. 

Not sure what the answer is, assuming there’s a question, but I want to give Mings every opportunity to succeed further here if possible.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

out of interest does anyone know what they are?

fulham and chelsea are the only 2 i can think of

I'd assume that the clearly offside Man City goal from last season will be one of these. These stats don't mean anything though to be honest. Who is the judge of what constitutes an error and which "errors" directly lead to goals? If it was any other of our players then everyone would be pretty dismissive of it. 

Just looking at the stats he's made 1 error leading to goal this season and 1 last season. This is the same as Emi Martinez who wasn't at the club prior to last season. Its a really strange stat in that hardly any player registers more than 2 in a season. I don't actually understand what you're supposed to take from that stat as players like Kante aren't far behind Mings over those 3 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not sure NSWE share your view?

Gerrard has come here with promises re aspirations and transfer resources and I think they will have a proper go in the summer. Bissouma is not coming here to play mid table football ... He can do that at Brighton. I don't believe that we are as far away as you think. With the right recruitment - secure Coutinho, Bissouma, Hickey at LB and upgrade Mings - we can challenge from 4th down.

Equally an upgrade on Mings would not represent a huge net spend as I think he would attract a decent fee in.

As for Kerr Smith and Feeney, they might be great prospects (and I'll keep my 🤞 just like all of us) but I can't see them impacting the first team picture for a good few years yet. CB is a tough position to break in to forma youngster, especially in an aspiring top half team.

I am, of course, playing a bit of fantasy football here but that's what a forum is for and I do think, with our ambitious and wealthy owners backing Stevie G, we can do this?

Has he ?

I thought he moved to be closer to his family (his words)

Current squad shouldn't need mega millions spending on it imo.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who is a top 6 centre back though. Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Lindelof, John Stones, Soyuncu, the incredible ball playing Harry Maguire 

They were regular top 6 Premier League defenders over the last few seasons 

Exactly. If Stevie G can get in a better player than Ming's - do it.

But I reckon it's change for changes sake.

I don't really think ball playing CBs exist any more (to any great extent) - but if Stevie G can source one ....great.

Without Mings
9 games
2 goals conceded per game
11% win rate percentage
11% clean sheet percentage
0.55 Points Per Game

With Mings
88 games
1.43 goals conceded per game
36% win percentage
30% clean sheet percentage
1.27 Points Per Game

Just now, spiezels said:

Without Mings
9 games
2 goals conceded per game
11% win rate percentage
11% clean sheet percentage
0.55 Points Per Game

With Mings
88 games
1.43 goals conceded per game
36% win percentage
30% clean sheet percentage
1.27 Points Per Game

Not saying we aren't better with him, but nine games isn't a big enough sample size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Image result for yawn gif

Morning all......... OK, is he good or bad today, will he be dropped for NewcARSEle?

Morning? You should be ashamed young man. I’ll tell you something… The yoof of today. Probably up all night playing CoD online with Dougie!🙄

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Haha 1

Â