Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

I don’t know if anyone has bid for Jacob, but all this leads me to thinking the North Stand was cancelled because we don’t have the money. Makes sense with Heck coming in and saying his one job is to make money.

The stadium redevelopment doesn't fall under FFP restrictions. Our owners have a combined net worth of over $13bn - I don't think money is the issue with that one. 

Heck says we need more money because we need to make more money... for FFP and the scope to spend more on the squad. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If it absolutely had to be one of Luiz, Kamara or Ramsey though....?

That said, Newcastle can **** right off!

I think this is the crux of the matter.  Ramsey would be the least bad player to lose among our key players, albeit still a big blow to see him leave.  Let's hope it doesn't happen anyway. 

Can't see this happening this window.

We have hardly any left sided attackers and he's probably the most progressive ball carrier we have at the club.

Considering we struggle to break low blocks i'd have thought selling him makes no sense tactically.

Maybe in the summer if FFP is tight.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, useless said:

Again this is the actual article, nowhere does it say we're considering selling him

A player generating concrete interest is Villa midfielder Jacob Ramsey, with the England Under-21 international catching the attention of clubs in both England and abroad.

Newcastle United have made an approach for the 22-year-old as they attempt to bolster Eddie Howe’s side, although unless they manage to achieve a significant sale, he is likely to be beyond reach.

Tottenham Hotspur and Bayern Munich are also among the sides to have made their admiration for Ramsey clear, so if Villa opt to let the academy graduate exit, they will not be short of takers.

That is a big ‘if’ because Ramsey has established himself as a key player and ideally this would not be a consideration, but funds must be raised before the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules and that has alerted suitors, who believe offers above £50million ($63.5m) will at least be contemplated.

Should Villa decide to keep Ramsey, there are other ways in which the money could be found.

Other clubs might be interested, but the main take away is the bolded, we don't want to sell him and don't have to, because we have other ways of finding the money

"Other ways of finding the money" are, of course, there.  They're in the squad.  However, you need to have interested parties to move them on and they also need to match a valuation for the club.

If FFP is as tight as the above suggests, then the type of player who would have interest is indeed Ramsey.  He's young, has been absolutely brilliant and will be a key squad player now that he's back from injury.  Naturally, the club won't want to sell him but the "don't have to" bit could be entirely incorrect if we're in desperate need of getting funds in.  Personally, I have no idea - but those who need to know at the club, will know (or should to!) how tight we are on funds.

My own feeling is that he's the one player who is capable of taking a ball and driving at a defence (maybe alongside Moreno).  Our side seemingly lacks that otherwise.  Diaby has pace, but seems to operate better with a ball in behind (hi Kenny) rather than running with the ball.  Bailey has got better at it, but still isn't as good as Ramsey at carrying the ball forward.  A 2 + 2 = 5 scenario in my head is that Rogers does do this and so does Ramsey; so having that link in place whilst clubs enquire about Ramsey could be accurate - and if we're hamstrung by FFP to that extent, receiving (say) £50m for Ramsey and spending £15m on Rogers gives us approx. £47m more wiggle room this season.

People say this is a sad part of FFP - and it is to some extent - but if we're going to continue to invest heavily, we need to operate at this level in the transfer market.  Fans can't expect us to spend c.£100m each season (which we have done for 5 seasons in a row now) and not generate good player sales.  It's cuckoo land stuff.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Can't see this happening this window.

We have hardly any left sided attackers and he's probably the most progressive ball carrier we have at the club.

Considering we struggle to break low blocks i'd have thought selling him makes no sense tactically.

Maybe in the summer if FFP is tight.

Maybe that’s why we are after Rogers….just a thought.

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:
3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If it absolutely had to be one of Luiz, Kamara or Ramsey though....?

That said, Newcastle can **** right off!

I think this is the crux of the matter.  Ramsey would be the least bad player to lose among our key players, albeit still a big blow to see him leave.  Let's hope it doesn't happen anyway. 

Yep completely agree.  I wouldn’t want to sell him in the slightest but if it was an absolute choice between him or Luiz/Kamara then I’d sell JJ unfortunately. I hope it doesn’t come to that.  

This FFP is going to be a pain for us with some difficult decisions likely ahead.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Ornstein has no clue about our FFP limits let’s be real. The £50m fee is a massive low ball figure. Hard to take it seriously. 

This, he's just saying that because FFP is an issue for a lot of teams. 

We wouldn't be spending 15m on a player in Jan if we had to sell a player before June to meet FFP . 

I think what he means is this year's accounts end in June so if we want to book any profits into this season to count towards FFP we'd need to make a sale before June

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Remember when we brought Downing and he was on crutches 😂

I do, recovery took 6 months got some form and then left us, total waste of time for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You've answered your own question! We would be buying a guy for £15m to replace a guy we'd be selling for ~£50m. That's what clubs up against it financially would be doing. 

You know there is no reality in which a Newcastle pays us 50m upfront. That's not how they do business, for the same fiscal reasons we're all discussing here 

2 hours ago, useless said:

He walks into our starting eleven on the left hand side, no one else in the squad can do the role he does in that position.

Big fan of JJ but he’s been miles off it, and we were sat second mid December without any substantial input from him in our starting 11. 

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yet that's a photo of Leon Bailey...

Don't do themselves any favours.

It's taken a thumbnail from the article that's not specifically about Ramsey, to be fair.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We need to stop overblowing this FFP crap and stop shitting ourselves about losing players…

Journos don’t know our situation either, it’s all speculation and guesswork. Controversial headlines and articles gain traffic and clicks…

Unai and Monchia are on it and know what they’re doing… yes, we have to manage things and be sensible but… we’re not going to make huge sacrifices or set ourselves back imo…

Just listen to Unai and sod the journos…

But at the same time - don't hold it against them when they sell one of our players!

It's an uncomfortable truth but until we're competing in the UCL year after year, there's always going to be that possibility.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

But at the same time - don't hold it against them when they sell one of our players!

It's an uncomfortable truth but until we're competing in the UCL year after year, there's always going to be that possibility.

Sure.. I have faith and trust in them. I’m convinced we have great ambition and goals… I trust in their decisions…

It’s just the external noise and speculation that is annoying, as well as fans bringing up and endorsing selling our best players - how do we kick on and have success if we do that and basically invite clubs to poach them every so often? It’s time to change…

At the very least, I don’t believe we’ll “undersell” anyone… it’s going to take a crazy offer for us to consider selling any of our important players…

There are “other ways” to raise funds… such as we have been doing with recent sales and players that are more on the fringes of the squad or approaching the tail end of their careers…

We’ve sold youngsters who weren’t likely to get major first team minutes or seen as first team players (with buyback options to protect us)… Dendoncker’s gone (hopefully a move that will be made permanent after this season. We have Sanson and Coutinho to shift permanently.. Chambers, Hause… Olsen? Berty will be off soon.

Digne will likely be sold in the near future and, with recent form, his valuation may have risen and we get a decent offer.

Cash and Carlos are players I feel we’d be open to considering offers for…not crucial or irreplaceable…

Who knows what’s happening with Duran…

I doubt well have Lenglet (and be paying his wages) beyond this season…

Wait and see on Zaniolo…

I don’t foresee us weakening the team… finding replacements would be extremely difficult - just as Unai has said.

Edited by Jas10

Â