Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

17 hours ago, useless said:

Archer getting all the attention because of his goals, and he's well deserving of his praise, but I thought Ramsey has been comfortably England U21's best performer over these last four games, as far as I'm concerned he should be with the senior squad, England's best box-to-box midfielder other than Bellingham.

Taking away my villa hat I think Gordon has been the outstanding player 

• Like 1

I actually thought Ramsey looked really tired last night before he came off.  Wasn’t closing the opposition down or making any trademark runs in advance of our forward.  Probably fatigue after a long season. A good couple of weeks rest now will do him the world of good.

I also don’t agree that he should be part of the senior England squad right now. Maybe next season if his form continues to grow but we’ll see.

• Like 3

Gordon didn't play that much, the game he started I could see why there are Everton fans that think he flatters to deceive, looks good in a lot his play but doesn't have much of an end product, hence his paultry two assists last season.

Not being biased in saying that Ramsey has been the standout player either, it's just the way it is, I've seen fans of other clubs saying the same thing, player that probably came closest to him is Curtis Jones, but I'd give Ramsey the edge as Jones tends to hang onto the ball more whereas Ramsey seems to understand better when to release the ball or to try and make something happen.

Also Ramsey was fine last night, none of the other players stood out more than him for example and he did nothing wrong, before he was subbed off he looked just as likely to make something happen as anyone else, Smith Rowe and GIbbs-White were both on the pitch playing further forward but Ramsey and Jones looked more dangerous, besides I wouldn't read too much into last night's game anyway as it was treated pretty much as a friendly by England.

It was clearly evident last night that Ramsey was tired and he did nothing of note whilst on the pitch. It’s not about who was better or who stood out more, his performance alone was below par. 

He’s just had a brilliant season but clearly needs to recharge his batteries for a couple of weeks before preseason. 

No it wasn't below par, that's just plain wrong, I think a lot of our fans bizzarely underrate him and think that unless he's scoring goals he isn't playing well, just because he wasn't going on amazing runs and constantly having shots at goal or whatever it doesn't mean to say he's having a bad game, he's a box-to-box midfielder, there's a lot more to his role than just the attacking side of things, although as it happens he did come close to scoring on several occassions and did go on a few driving runs so it's not even if that part of his game was lacking.

He had two chances and missed both, but I bet if he'd have scored one of them no one would be saying his performance was below par.

Our fans are dreadful at judging midfielders in general, which is why so many of ours get so much unfair criticism, again many seem to think that if a midfielder isn't constantly making blockbuster tackles, or scoring, going on mazy runs or whatever that they're somehow not playing well, or are 'nothing players' can gaurantee whichever midfielders we sign they will get unfair criticism, unless they look like the next coming of Kante or De Bruyne, it's already started with Kamara.

• Like 3

Total, total nonsense post.  His performance was below par for the standards that he has set already. Absolutely plain to see.  I also didn’t say that he had a bad game nor was I criticising him. He looked tired!

I think quite a few of us can have an opinion that is valid without it being constantly questioned or at times posters attempting to ridicule. Your final paragraph isn’t worth answering. 

I’ll leave it there. 

• Like 1

His performance last night wasn't much different to his performances in the previous U21 games this week, he played well, didn't have to be amazing, my initial point still stands that he was England U21's best performer over the last week.

Also stand by last paragraph it's something I've long thought to be true, a lot of our fans, and probably fans of other clubs are pretty much clueless when it comes to judging midfielders, and think that unless they're doing things that look good on a highlights reel then they're having a bad game, it's why Ramsey gets unfair criticism on here when he goes a few games where he doesn't score a goal, Luiz gets compared to Westwood, Chukwuemeka gets accused of doing nothing, Ramsey had the same when first broke into the team, McGinn gets all the criticism he gets, Petrov, Westwood, and Whelan also got a lot of unfair criticism.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

His performance last night wasn't much different to his performances in the previous U21 games this week, he played well, didn't have to be amazing, my initial point still stands that he was England U21's best performer over the last week.

Also stand by last paragraph it's something I've long thought to be true, a lot of our fans, and probably fans of other clubs are pretty much clueless when it comes to judging midfielders, and think that unless they're doing things that look good on a highlights reel then they're having a bad game, it's why Ramsey gets unfair criticism on here when he goes a few games where he doesn't score a goal, Luiz gets compared to Westwood, Chukwuemeka gets accused of doing nothing, Ramsey had the same when first broke into the team, McGinn gets all the criticism he gets, Petrov, Westwood, and Whelan also got a lot of unfair criticism.

Look at fans in general and our media 

Before Xmas there was a genuine debate on MOTD and in the media (I'm sure even Henry Winter joined in) about what does thiago do for Liverpool and if he was a "nothing player" 

If we ever became a possession based team (!) I'm sure there'd be more than a fair few at VP who would hate it because football is all about getting it wide to the pacy wingers as quickly as possible 

You may think a lot of our fans and fans of other clubs are “clueless” when it comes to judging midfielders but that doesn’t mean that your right. It’s your opinion and that’s fine but perhaps don’t be so patronising of others. 

There are lot more worse things you can be clueless at than clueless at judging midfielders, I'm relatively pretty good at it, but I'd rather be good at something much more useful

On 14/06/2022 at 18:37, useless said:

No it wasn't below par, that's just plain wrong, I think a lot of our fans bizzarely underrate him and think that unless he's scoring goals he isn't playing well, just because he wasn't going on amazing runs and constantly having shots at goal or whatever it doesn't mean to say he's having a bad game, he's a box-to-box midfielder, there's a lot more to his role than just the attacking side of things, although as it happens he did come close to scoring on several occassions and did go on a few driving runs so it's not even if that part of his game was lacking.

He had two chances and missed both, but I bet if he'd have scored one of them no one would be saying his performance was below par.

Our fans are dreadful at judging midfielders in general, which is why so many of ours get so much unfair criticism, again many seem to think that if a midfielder isn't constantly making blockbuster tackles, or scoring, going on mazy runs or whatever that they're somehow not playing well, or are 'nothing players' can gaurantee whichever midfielders we sign they will get unfair criticism, unless they look like the next coming of Kante or De Bruyne, it's already started with Kamara.

I think you make some relevant points.....and I agree, Midfielders are hard to appraise properly at times.....and you are right, blockbuster runs or robust tackles do grab the headlines, but equally, passive play or nondescript play, is not an alternative either.

A midfielder for me, has to make a mark of some description, they have to be hard to play against, or a constant threat.....consistency is key and drifting in an out of games, is not consistency.

There are many aspects of a good midfielder and being available is just one of them, as is staying on the ball, more than losing it......The good ones do that and they drive their team on in difficult times, not just when we are on top......They dominate the ball, dominate their opposite number and drive the team on.....it takes special talent and mental agility to do that......and desire is crucial.

Jacob is an undoubted talent....He still has a way to go to be a dominate player......but I do think he will be able to do that, in time.

Edited by TRO

I have every faith he will kick on again next season. Look at Gallagher who is  15 months older than Jacob. He was hit and miss at the Baggies before blossoming at Palace. This age is where players make the most gains the quickest. The kids got the lot. 

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I have every faith he will kick on again next season. Look at Gallagher who is  15 months older than Jacob. He was hit and miss at the Baggies before blossoming at Palace. This age is where players make the most gains the quickest. The kids got the lot. 

I thought he was ok at the baggies....stood out for me.

I like him.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If Ramsey can make only 20% of the improvement he made last season, he’ll be one of the best attacking midfielders in the league. He has all the dedication needed.

He seems so incredibly humble. Such an important and commendable trait. 

He obviously comes from a very good family, which is also why I’m excited by his siblings. 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Forgot to post this but been reminded due to the Ollie thread 

Based on his insta it looks like he's on holiday with Chambers and theyve take a PT with them 

Mate, i'm telling you, it's one of the things I love about this lad.

I'm sure he spoke about, how last pre season, he spent the whole summer working extremely hard and building himself up, whilst everyone else might have been jollying.

We saw the benefits last season.

I hope to god Leon is doing the same, but the last video I saw was him getting a mud massage and eating crabs. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â