How many miles can you drive before you hit road works ?

hippo

Driving to work seems to get slower and slower, and thats even without the hassle of finding somewhere to park. It got me thinking on average how far you could drive before you hit road works - ? - I had a figure in my mind of maybe 10-11 miles - but very unscientifically I know - I reckon the figure is about 6 (and I don't work in Central Birmingham)

9 Mile trip to villa park yesterday - I encountered 3 sets - Friday night I drove 15 miles to Boldmere 2 sets  

6 miles to work - I currently encounter 1 - although thinking back throughout the year it has on occasions been 2 or 3 

Staggering really.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd prefer thwey weren't repaired on the cheap.

The same pothole has been 'fixed' on my street 4 times in the last year. It gets bigger each time. It seems they're being repaired with a combination of papier máché and prayer.

Yes what used to happen was that a hit squad - would quickly drop a bit of tarmac in - and then a proper repair would follow on - but I would a agree the second part doesn't seen to happen any more.

I got chatting to an ex brummie who now runs a bar in Lanzarotte - said he hasn't been to Brum since the 80's - he asked me if all them road were still going on ! 

its not just the tarmac issue, the smart motorway stuff which i keep being told does work and stop phantom traffic jams which is great but the installation of them has royally **** the region, it seems impossible to me to avoid some sort of traffic or speed restriction on a motorway now, north from me is the M5 junction 1 stuff, south on M5 you have the 50mph stuff outside worcester, south on the M42 unless you are on it before 7am you are hitting problems before the M40 split, the motorways just dont work anymore, way too many projects going on

then you add to that severn trent have had a major infrastructure update project going on for a while now, firstly because all the clay pipe they installed some 50-60 years ago all hit its use by date and had to be changed to plastic and then you have the lickhill to frankley project which is 26km of i think 450mm pipe, thats a big project

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The same pothole has been 'fixed' on my street 4 times in the last year. It gets bigger each time. It seems they're being repaired with a combination of papier máché and prayer.

Council departments have to spend  all their budgets to justify their existence and guarantee they'll get the same budget next year. 

Fixing a pothole correctly costs 75% of the cost of fixing it poorly 4 times. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Started with Thatcher and "competitive tendering." The councils used to do the majority of the repairs but the Tories decided that it could be done more cheaply and efficiently by companies bidding for the work with the cheapest quote getting the work.

As we all know, the cheapest quote gets the shittiest repairs. When the councils did the jobs, they did them properly, so they wouldn't have to come back for years, that's why the jobs were more expensive. It's also why they leave a huge amount in the pot until the last couple of months, then spend the money like crazy because if they don't spend it this year, they get less next year. It's a totally ridiculous situation

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Council departments have to spend  all their budgets to justify their existence and guarantee they'll get the same budget next year. 

Fixing a pothole correctly costs 75% of the cost of fixing it poorly 4 times. 

Off topic, but the end of March scramble to spend left over budget reminds me of this -

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

merrell-moab-ventilator-walnut.png

You use that picture to try and belittle Bicks, and I agree - they are an absolute sham of a regular footware.

But my God, as long as Bicks wears socks with those mother ****, he still canes your ass style-wise. 

What you do with your footware, in 10-20 years time will be the same way I feel about the following "fashion" (I.e. you're a dumb word removed for even trying);

vImage result for bad 80s fashion

Image result for bad 70s fashion 

Image result for deirdre barlow

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You use that picture to try and belittle Bicks, and I agree - they are an absolute sham of a regular footware.

But my God, as long as Bicks wears socks with those mother ****, he still canes your ass style-wise. 

What you do with your footware, in 10-20 years time will be the same way I feel about the following "fashion" (I.e. you're a dumb word removed for even trying);

vImage result for bad 80s fashion

Image result for bad 70s fashion 

Image result for deirdre barlow

Cool story.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Started with Thatcher and "competitive tendering." The councils used to do the majority of the repairs but the Tories decided that it could be done more cheaply and efficiently by companies bidding for the work with the cheapest quote getting the work.

As we all know, the cheapest quote gets the shittiest repairs. When the councils did the jobs, they did them properly, so they wouldn't have to come back for years, that's why the jobs were more expensive. It's also why they leave a huge amount in the pot until the last couple of months, then spend the money like crazy because if they don't spend it this year, they get less next year. It's a totally ridiculous situation

if you knew your music you would have known that there were 4000 holes In Blackburn Lancashire  in 1967 , long before Thatcher came to power :P

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Hello Keenan

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

if you knew your music you would have known that there were 4000 holes In Blackburn Lancashire  in 1967 , long before Thacther came to power :P

Hmmm, if you knew music you wouldn't be listening to shite by the lemon :mrgreen:

Â