How many miles can you drive before you hit road works ?

hippo

2 hours ago, Risso said:

That M6 though... 😩

Refuse to use it now, unless its the section between the Croft Interchange and Junction 21a for a Man Air job. I regularly travel to Bristol and back these days and choose to go through Mid-Wales

3 hours ago, Risso said:

That M6 though... 😩

I hate the M6, one of the only roads I know where the speed limit is an aspirational figure. My other half has lived here all her life (over 30 years) and says she's never known there NOT to be roadworks on it or significant disruption.

And 'managed motorways' where some jumped up pencil pusher can just arbitrarily change a speed limit of the road. I used to think laws were passed to decide on speed limits but that's now all circumvented by a simple button press. Anyone ever been to IKEA in Wednesbury and travelled 70mph+ past the RAC Building?! How, at two in the morning on empty roads, it still needs to be set at 60mph I have no idea... 

Rant over.

• Like 1

Yeah the M6 is horrendous. Living in North Birmingham means using it, or roads directly affected by it (M42, A38 for example) is quite a regular occurrence unfortunately.

My best mate lived in Warrington for a year so I used to go and see him a fair bit for a night out or whatever, so I regularly had to finish work on a Friday and head straight up the M6. It was always a **** nightmare.

If the Toll ran the entire length of the M6 I'd use it every time.

• Like 1

The A444 about a quarter of a mile from my house is having a roundabout remodelled and signalled, they've been working on that overnight and at weekends for most of 2018. Usual M6 roadworks from junctions 3-4, smart motorway upgrade and I drive into work through Digbeth via Curzon Street and Meridien Street. Those places have been mental of late, all the university works and the city park. Meridien Street has been dug up about a dozen times this year, as far as I can tell it's all down to exploratory work and utility preparation ahead of when the tram extension heads down to Deritend. 

14 hours ago, Risso said:

That M6 though... 😩

I'll see your M6 and raise you an M25. Thankfully I only have to use is 2 or 3 times a week but it's just ridiculous. 

I went through a stretch of it the other day and the signs went from no limit to 40 to 60 to no limit to 50 to 60 to 40 and no limit in the space of 7 gantries. I was just about the only car on the road (it was 2am) and there was no roadworks and no prangs.

Any other time of the day and 20mph is a good day.

IME the M6 is unusable go on there and you run the risk of being stuck on it for a couple of hours - I take the hit on a longer but more predictable route.   (Oh and sticking another lane on won't achieve anything ) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

IME the M6 is unusable go on there and you run the risk of being stuck on it for a couple of hours - I take the hit on a longer but more predictable route.   (Oh and sticking another lane on won't achieve anything ) 

That's what I do on my daily commute.

The quickest way would often be the M6 up to Wolverhampton. But some days it could be a half hour journey, some days it could be 90 minutes.

I use the backroads and it takes me about 45 minutes. But it's ALWAYS 45 minutes, and I'm constantly moving. Not sat in traffic changing gears every 2 seconds.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what I do on my daily commute.

The quickest way would often be the M6 up to Wolverhampton. But some days it could be a half hour journey, some days it could be 90 minutes.

I use the backroads and it takes me about 45 minutes. But it's ALWAYS 45 minutes, and I'm constantly moving. Not sat in traffic changing gears every 2 seconds.

You should blow £25k on a bigger faster car - that would solve the problem :) 

• 3 months later...
On 19/12/2018 at 00:21, jackbauer24 said:

How, at two in the morning on empty roads, it still needs to be set at 60mph I have no idea...  

Same on the M4 through the Newport tunnel area and also down by Port Talbot. I believe it may be to do with pollution levels rather than speed. Although that may be urban legend as my source is someone told me once, so basically 'bloke down the pub said'

33 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Same on the M4 through the Newport tunnel area and also down by Port Talbot. I believe it may be to do with pollution levels rather than speed. Although that may be urban legend as my source is someone told me once, so basically 'bloke down the pub said'

I assume it's a Welsh thing, they've reduced the otherwise 70mph National Speed Limit A483 in Wrexham to 50mph to reduce pollution, Effectively making all the HGVs drive at 50mph instead of their limited 57mph (the optimum speed that also creates the least pollution). Logically it creates more pollution than if they'd set it to 60mph

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I've been on a speed awareness course and can confirm the official reason for 2am speed restrictions is pollution and noise.

I live near spaghetti and it can take 15 minutes some mornings just to get onto the roundabout below J6 . There's a never ending stream of traffic coming from the right that can back the A5127 through Gravelly Hill all the way back to 6 ways Erdington. 

Image result for its annoying gif

• Like 2

Â