Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

On 07/03/2021 at 20:19, Xela said:

A couple of tweets a week apart

gone into administration now. i did well out of FI a while back...put a few hundred into grealish when we were in the championship. his value just kept going up and i sold him when we got promoted. paid for my season ticket from the profits. and never really went back (aside from a couple of hundred i still have in from when they had some offer on). i never trusted it. a mate was putting in thousands (he's not told me what he's lost) and i said all along, like any stock market, it can crash. difference being is that there isn't a government behind this stock market that would work to recover it. it's a private company. why anyone invested so much money just beggars belief. it's no laughing matter like i've seen some people doing in the replies of the above tweets. there will be divorces at a minimum because of what has happened.

it's gambling, but actually a much less fun version of gambling. it's not like putting a tenner on a horse and cheering it home. "woo hoo my portfolio went up £2 today and i got 30p in dividends" is basically the limit of the enjoyment i got from it.

• Like 1

The NASDAQ taking a pummelling this week, which I’m hugely exposed to. I’m a long investor rather than a day trader (don’t have the cash or the skill for that madness) so I’m not going to get worried but seeing enormous declines is always hard to stomach. 

12 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The NASDAQ taking a pummelling this week, which I’m hugely exposed to. I’m a long investor rather than a day trader (don’t have the cash or the skill for that madness) so I’m not going to get worried but seeing enormous declines is always hard to stomach. 

Just means next time you buy in you’re getting more for your money 👍

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just means next time you buy in you’re getting more for your money 👍

Annoyingly I haven’t got cash to buy the dip!! Serves me right for not always keeping a bit back. Just got to hang tight for it to go back on the up and up whenever that might be. 

21 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Annoyingly I haven’t got cash to buy the dip!! Serves me right for not always keeping a bit back. Just got to hang tight for it to go back on the up and up whenever that might be. 

Ah, I assumed it was a work pension type thing. Not such good news then 😬

• 1 month later...

Anyone else feeling a little concerned right now?

With the pandemic going on, stocks still so high, housing relatively high, global currencies beginning to fail and the US printing trillions...I kinda feel like something has to give. Crypto is doing well this year but that shit will pop at the end of the year as it does every few years. I kinda feel like a market more established needs to pop too. 

This is all the rambling of a completely uneducated person, so happy to be educated by someone smarter than I. 

The housing worries me, it was already crazy and then the government decided to light a fire under it. So many people who have bought in this last year could get their fingers burned if there’s a correction.

I know they had to stimulate certain markets and sections of the economy, the housing one wasn’t necessary imo. Then they extended it for another 3 months too.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 07:56, PieFacE said:

Anyone else feeling a little concerned right now?

With the pandemic going on, stocks still so high, housing relatively high, global currencies beginning to fail and the US printing trillions...I kinda feel like something has to give. Crypto is doing well this year but that shit will pop at the end of the year as it does every few years. I kinda feel like a market more established needs to pop too. 

This is all the rambling of a completely uneducated person, so happy to be educated by someone smarter than I. 

I usually top up shares throughout the year to dollar cost average but I think I'm going to hold off for a while and build a cash reserve as I feel like it will pull back a bit and good entry points might crop up. Interest rates are awful at the moment so it feels wrong to do so but it helps that we've got a few life events possibly coming up that I'd like to have more cash on hand if needed. 

I would stick more in crypto as that's rocketing but suspect that'll turn sharply some time soon. 

I don't want to make predictions too specifically, because I know nothing about anything, but it's hard to see why right now, as the world is coming out of a crisis and the American consumer is starting to feel the heft of their wallet, things would take a sudden turn for the worse.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't want to make predictions too specifically, because I know nothing about anything, but it's hard to see why right now, as the world is coming out of a crisis and the American consumer is starting to feel the heft of their wallet, things would take a sudden turn for the worse.

This is where I am. If I'd have invested all my cash reserves in funds that track indexes last year, I'd be a lot better off now. 

If you invest for the long haul, you'll generally do ok. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's the reasonable way to look at it. But I'm only DCA'ing 20% a month at this point in index funds (pension) and trying to save half my paycheck in cash. Then I drop £1500 on my mortgage and feel I'm pretty exposed.

The reason I'm careful is two fold. Firstly you can rarely see a downturn coming, secondly I think the FED can have their hands forced soon with the US salary increases and inflation. And that's before corperate tax changes and what else Biden might change up.

But the main reason I'm piling up cash now is straight up risk reward.

I just think I have more to gain by preparing for a downturn than extracting a few extra percentages in this market.

Time in the market is more important than timing the market is an old cliche, but it's important to remember buying into overpriced markets can lead to decades without profits. And this market is definitely overpriced.

Not sure if anyones read 'the intelligent investor'. While the book was a bit too aimed towards the US audience for my liking, the chapter on mr market is very good and is a tool to understand behavioural finance methinks.

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

#dogecoin :lol:  

There Meme NFT's - can someone shed light please?  People moaning about bad luck brian, bad guy steve and chocolate rain guy! 

So earlier this year I found £500 of dogecoin I bought back in about 2013 that I thought I'd lost. It'd been worth £500 for almost all of that time, but randomly spiked in value and I sold it about 8-10 weeks ago for an £8,000 profit.

I was pretty pleased with myself, but my mate text me yesterday and it turns out if I'd held it and sold it at it's peak yesterday it'd have been worth about £100,000.

Ooops!

49 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

So earlier this year I found £500 of dogecoin I bought back in about 2013 that I thought I'd lost. It'd been worth £500 for almost all of that time, but randomly spiked in value and I sold it about 8-10 weeks ago for an £8,000 profit.

I was pretty pleased with myself, but my mate text me yesterday and it turns out if I'd held it and sold it at it's peak yesterday it'd have been worth about £100,000.

Ooops!

It's 8k profit be happy with that. You could spend your life always thinking what if and have nothing to show for it but regret. I sold a load of Zil and Eth months ago and would be worth loads now, nothing I can do about it but try and learn from the mistakes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It's 8k profit be happy with that. You could spend your life always thinking what if and have nothing to show for it but regret. I sold a load of Zil and Eth months ago and would be worth loads now, nothing I can do about it but try and learn from the mistakes. 

Thanks. Yeah, I'm mostly just laughing about it because it's a good story. I made a load of money off a dumb internet coin with a picture of a dog on it and I'm grateful for that. But the numbers involved are pretty mind-boggling!

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm mostly just laughing about it because it's a good story. I made a load of money off a dumb internet coin with a picture of a dog on it and I'm grateful for that. But the numbers involved are pretty mind-boggling!

That's crypto in a nutshell. You could make life changing amounts of money, or you could be in a flash crash and lose 95% of your investment in about 5 minutes (that one hurt). 

But focus on the positives, I'm up overall and whilst I could be up a lot more, I could also be crazy down and trying to explain it to the wife. 

Congrats on picking a winning dog! 

Â