Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

Wondering if anyone can help. Started with a lump sum split between a Vanguard global index fund and the s&p 500. Just wondering out of the 2 which to set a DD up to drip feed monthly or does it really not matter?

37 minutes ago, MCU said:

Wondering if anyone can help. Started with a lump sum split between a Vanguard global index fund and the s&p 500. Just wondering out of the 2 which to set a DD up to drip feed monthly or does it really not matter?

Whichever you reckon will get you the most, after fees, when you want to cash out. If it’s >5 years down the line, nobody can forecast that.

Does your bank let you deposit for free? Could you do 50-50 into both?

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Whichever you reckon will get you the most, after fees, when you want to cash out. If it’s >5 years down the line, nobody can forecast that.

Does your bank let you deposit for free? Could you do 50-50 into both?

Yeh was a silly question in hindsight. They both look good in fairness. Unfortunately the minimum deposit is £100 each per month, which after a bit of budgeting I can’t quite part with for now. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MCU said:

Yeh was a silly question in hindsight. They both look good in fairness. Unfortunately the minimum deposit is £100 each per month, which after a bit of budgeting I can’t quite part with for now. 

Fair play. Both are well diversified anyway so you’re grand either way imho.

I go for the more “buy and hold” approach to stocks. There’s so much pump and dump action these days in the market thanks to the likes of WSB. Don’t get drawn in by that shit - they advertise themselves as taking down hedge funds or whatever but the reality is it’s some actual genius investors pulling the pants down of their millions of subscribers. 

Edited by Spoony

On 26/02/2021 at 02:32, Genie said:

Tesla starting to tank, I wonder if there will be a panic sell off. It’s down about 25-30% in a month from a ludicrously high artificial position.

Good time to buy. It's as simple as that. 

It's an apple type company. People that own their products are disciples. Tesla will be industry leaders for the next 20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It's an apple type company. People that own their products are disciples. Tesla will be industry leaders for the next 20 years.

I disagree personally. They were first to market with electric cars but their quality is horrific, worst in the entire industry by miles. 
Now all the old guard car makers are churning out better EV’s there’s no USP with Tesla. The company has never made a profit either.

You never know but my feeling is that their massively overvalued price will plummet over the next 12-18 months.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Completely disagree.

I think Tesla will be a footnote within 15-20 years, personally. They're not well built cars, they're still struggling to scale, and there's a lot of competition on the tech side.

I'd never buy one of their current models, for the money they're not nice places to be, they look crap, and I hate this push towards using a touchscreen for everything, which is just a dealbreaker for me.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Tesla advocates are like Corbynites, Kpop fans and MAGAs. They are completely blinkered and massively loyal. 

Such weird folk. All part of the “retarded ape diamond hand” psycho brigade of Wall Street Bets. Also Elon Musk is a tool and I worry that he’s too impulsive/erratic to actually keep that company turning a profit in the long run. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Also Elon Musk is a tool and I worry that he’s too impulsive/erratic to actually keep that company turning a profit in the long run. 

Tesla has never made a profit, not from building cars anyway. They make a lot of money because certain states in the US require a percentage of the cars sold to be electric. None-electric car makers buy “credits” from companies likes Tesla who do not sell their full allocation  in a way round the law. When you factor in the money from pollution credits it only just puts them into profit.
Tesla doesn’t make money and never has. It has appalling quality and it’s USP is getting thinner and thinner.
Musk is the kind of guy who wants to do exciting one off projects like rockets into space. I can’t see him being excited about improving panel gaps, electrical glitches in the entertainment system or paint resistance to UV. 
I can’t see anything other than a collapse of the share price. I reckon when it starts it will be RAPID. 

• Like 1

Where Tesla win is the charging infrastructure. They are years ahead of anything else in that respect. 

Plus their fans do seem to be an obsessed bunch.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Where Tesla win is the charging infrastructure. They are years ahead of anything else in that respect. 

This is an advantage that needs to be legislated out of existence IMO, with a requirement to use a standard interface and charge the samne price to all customers. Charging infrastructure as a business needs to be decoupled from car manufacture.

Manufacturer specific charging infrastructure should look as absurd as having Ford specific petrol stations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Manufacturer specific charging infrastructure should look as absurd as having Ford specific petrol stations.

Isn’t it the same as phone manufacturers having different charging interfaces?

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is an advantage that needs to be legislated out of existence IMO, with a requirement to use a standard interface and charge the samne price to all customers. Charging infrastructure as a business needs to be decoupled from car manufacture.

I think all other manufacturers use the same charging points/interfaces but they are poorly maintained by the companies that run them. Tesla have spent huge amounts in making their own charge stations far superior. I'm sure things will change over time but at the moment, it doesn't matter how good a VW or Audi electric car is, the charging network it needs is awful. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think all other manufacturers use the same charging points/interfaces but they are poorly maintained by the companies that run them. Tesla have spent huge amounts in making their own charge stations far superior. I'm sure things will change over time but at the moment, it doesn't matter how good a VW or Audi electric car is, the charging network it needs is awful. 

Most people will charge them at home most of the time won’t they? 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Most people will charge them at home most of the time won’t they? 

Millions of houses and flats without off street parking and there will be times when you want to do a journey of more than 250 miles or stay overnight somewhere.

Battery tech will get better i'm sure, and ranges will improve. 

Maybe battery tech firms would be good investments, trying to get back on topic ;) 

• Like 1

Â