Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's paid off massively for a lot of people, but it still looks more like gambling than investing, to my novice eyes. 

It 100% is gambling. I'd say it has relatively good odds of making money on a medium term horizon, but anyone who says it isn't gambling is just kidding themselves.

• 1 month later...

Any one on here used Hfx academy for binary options trading?

I know nothing about trading or really got  any interest in learning too much about it, but my partner has been talking with her friends who are members and now she is interested.

The sales pitch seems to be that you dont need to know anything about it can follow their live stream advice and make money, sounds easy but I'm always sceptical when something sounds too easy.

And the monthly cost seems high

15 hours ago, phily85 said:

Any one on here used Hfx academy for binary options trading?

I know nothing about trading or really got  any interest in learning too much about it, but my partner has been talking with her friends who are members and now she is interested.

The sales pitch seems to be that you dont need to know anything about it can follow their live stream advice and make money, sounds easy but I'm always sceptical when something sounds too easy.

And the monthly cost seems high

I've highlighted the concerning parts. 

Any 'get rich quick scheme' is just that - a scheme to make certain people rich - the people behind it! 

You'd be better off putting money into an index tracker via a stocks and shares ISA. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've highlighted the concerning parts. 

Any 'get rich quick scheme' is just that - a scheme to make certain people rich - the people behind it! 

You'd be better off putting money into an index tracker via a stocks and shares ISA. 

Thanks that was my thoughts. I told her dont think it's a good idea and seems like a sort of pyramid scheme. The more people you get to sign up you level up apparently and make what they call passive income!!

After the school run today it seems like she is not going to go with it apparently her friends where really pushing it in sales mode. They let slip that if they can get 2 people to sign up they dont have to pay the £150 a month subscription!!

• Like 1

Not to labour the theme, but:

16 minutes ago, phily85 said:

seems like a sort of pyramid scheme.

🚨🚩🚨🚩

17 minutes ago, phily85 said:

The more people you get to sign up you level up apparently

🚨🚩🚨🚩

make what they call passive income!!

🚨🚩🚨🚩

her friends where really pushing it in sales mode. They let slip that if they can get 2 people to sign up they dont have to pay the £150 a month subscription!!

🚨🚩🚨🚩

Tell your missus to run as far away from these people as her legs will carry her, and if she wants to invest, follow @Xela's advice about getting a stocks and shares ISA and then investing in index trackers, or at worst some decent funds.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

£150 a month! I was expecting it to be about £20 a month :lol: 

I guess it's so expensive for the same reason Nigerian prince emails are so obvious; need to do a lot of weeding of non-marks and semi-marks to ensure those caught in the net are the purest types who sincerely believe that gullible has been taken out of the dictionary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xela said:

£150 a month! I was expecting it to be about £20 a month :lol: 

So was I 😂 I guess they have to make as much as possible from the people willing to sign up

On 17/04/2021 at 13:21, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone had any experience in investing in whiskey? Something I've been considering trying out for a while. 

Yep … and gin and beer and vodka 

alas my investments are worth zero now :)

Our FD is a whisky fan and for special occasions we usually buy  him some collectible Whiskys for his collection … in theory they’ve increased in value quite substantially but I don’t know if that growth is sustainable , we just buy them for him in the hope he will drink them one day and enjoy them.

when I went to Nepal the first time back in 2001 , I purchased a bottle of Mount Everest whisky , just for the bottle and the name  …. I found the bottle a little while back and the contents have turned white , safe to say that one isn’t a collectible :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I guess it's so expensive for the same reason Nigerian prince emails are so obvious; need to do a lot of weeding of non-marks and semi-marks to ensure those caught in the net are the purest types who sincerely believe that gullible has been taken out of the dictionary.

Do you remember women empowering women where you could buy a heart for 3k a piece, if you were a woman. Clever pitch excluding men

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 13:21, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone had any experience in investing in whiskey? Something I've been considering trying out for a while. 

Whiskey itself or the casks?

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Do you remember women empowering women where you could buy a heart for 3k a piece, if you were a woman. Clever pitch excluding men

Funnily enough, I was reading about that very recently (in Dan Davies' book Lying For Money, about the history and types of fraud). It seems to have been able to avoid detection for a long time, it must have ruined a lot of women's finances, though I'm not sure there's ever been a final figure of how many losers there were.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Funnily enough, I was reading about that very recently (in Dan Davies' book Lying For Money, about the history and types of fraud). It seems to have been able to avoid detection for a long time, it must have ruined a lot of women's finances, though I'm not sure there's ever been a final figure of how many losers there were.

I had to give a manager at my brokerage a written warning for this, she made 48k off other staff. The clever part because of the women only focus it got buried in the office whispers,  “girl power” had been all the rage and it kind of played on that. I tried to make her give the money back she was having none of it but as they all turned on her she soon quit. I covered all their losses in a Christmas bonus later that year which was a bit of a master stroke as I got extreme loyalty for a number of years after I did not have to worry about recruitment as such in key areas 

you’re right regarding never knowing how much was lost because women do not like to think they’ve been had over rather than spill the beans

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I've heard of black market trade for kidneys but not hearts.

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Whiskey itself or the casks?

I was thinking casks but wouldn't be adverse to bottles (not sure I know enough about that though). 

On 22/05/2021 at 08:26, Follyfoot said:

I went to college with an ex-Villa player and his Mrs was into this. He rocked up one day with a bag containing about £20k from it, that he’d collected on the way in! 

I'm brand new to this investing/stock game. Trying to learn as I go by reading books like The Naked Trader, mucking about with virtual portfolios etc.

Bought me some Doge and turned a nice profit, or at least I would have done had I not completely misunderstood how to set a trailing stop the night of the SNL Musk show 🤦🏻‍♂️

So I'm now about 40% down on my initial investment, which hurts a touch but I'm hoping it will rebound when it goes live on coinbase in 6 weeks or so

(He said sounding like an utter novice)

Thankfully, I'm cautious by nature and not quite stupid enough to invest large sums as a novice, so my investments are with piddly amounts. Even if it all goes tits up, losses will be less than £200

Nevermind that former post. 

Anyway. Got a company bonus recently and I just don't know what to do with it atm. Such a strange market to be in. 

1) I could pay down some mortgage, but what's the point when the interests are so low.

2) I could buy stocks, but everything is pretty expensive and I think a pullback is due.

3) I could save the cash, but the interests are shite.

I really don't know what to do.

Bit of luxury problem I guess, but it really isn't, as I'm not wealthy at all. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â