Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

Been interested in putting a little surplus money in to some other types of investments so this thread has been a useful starting point for me

Are there any recommendations here about regular publications that would help pick up information around businesses and markets? 

I watched a bit of the Game Stop hearing with the Roaring Kitty/DFV guy and the guy that owns the Robinhood platform. It was quite interesting. 

I’ve seen some info on Reddit and elsewhere suggesting it’s not over yet. 

I’m new to it all, so don’t really understand too much, but the suggestion seems to be there is still a massive amount of short interest. 

DFV/RC/Keith Gill has posted a screen shot which seems to suggest he’s put more money into it. 

Edited by wazzap24

6 hours ago, Xela said:

As someone who has 17 years in the finance sector, let me give you some inside advice. Follow this and you'll never go wrong when trading:

Reveal hidden contents

Buy low, sell high

Reminds me of the excellent advice my old football coach gave me:

"If in doubt, score a goal"

I signed up to the Beckham backed IPO cannaboid(sp?) company. My first delve into IPOs. Although it looks like I’m probably not going to get any shares (I subscribed for 10,000 shares - £500 worth), or get very little, as the IPO was oversubscribed. No doubt the big investors putting in £1/4m+ will get all the shares.

Bought seven stocks today.

Citigroup, Lockheed, Merck, Bristol-Myers, Pfizer, MDC Holdings, Kirkland Lake Gold.

Let’s see how they do over the next while versus seven ETFs I’ve backed: VWO, SCHE, HTEC, ARKG, ICLN, RWJ, VIOO.

For some sense of numbers, VWO is up 15% and RWJ is up 23% since I bought in December.

Maybe risky, but I don’t really spread my investments out much. I have large amounts in TUI, IAG and Barclays. All bought when they were dipping in the last 11 months and all in profit (currently). 

The travel industry does feel like a bit of a gamble, but these shares are for the long term, and I can only see things getting better, in time, with vaccinations now being rolled out.

Hugely risky, Rob. Respectfully, it’s madness. With three stocks and two of them holiday related you’ve massive exposure to another 9/11. You’re going all in with a pair of 4s.

(The Irish government said yesterday they “won’t let Aer Lingus fail” and openly discussed that society might be past peak aviation. That doesn’t bode well for growth in IAG.)

Aim for 30 stocks not 3, IMHO. You’re up so far, congrats, but look forward five years. What portfolio are you most sure will get you solid growth, given some level of risk? Given a target growth, it’s hard to think the risk is minimized with just three companies.

With three stocks you’re playing 5-0-5, and sending your keeper forward for every corner. But this isn’t really a football match, this is you paying off the mortgage early. Someone mentioned boring Bruceball earlier. IMHO when we’re making decisions about pensions, Bruceball is exactly what you should be aiming for. If it means I can retire a little earlier and spend those years drinking Estrella by the beach, give me Steve Bruce over Tim Sherwood any day.

21 hours ago, Enda said:

Hugely risky, Rob. Respectfully, it’s madness. With three stocks and two of them holiday related you’ve massive exposure to another 9/11. You’re going all in with a pair of 4s.

(The Irish government said yesterday they “won’t let Aer Lingus fail” and openly discussed that society might be past peak aviation. That doesn’t bode well for growth in IAG.)

Aim for 30 stocks not 3, IMHO. You’re up so far, congrats, but look forward five years. What portfolio are you most sure will get you solid growth, given some level of risk? Given a target growth, it’s hard to think the risk is minimized with just three companies.

With three stocks you’re playing 5-0-5, and sending your keeper forward for every corner. But this isn’t really a football match, this is you paying off the mortgage early. Someone mentioned boring Bruceball earlier. IMHO when we’re making decisions about pensions, Bruceball is exactly what you should be aiming for. If it means I can retire a little earlier and spend those years drinking Estrella by the beach, give me Steve Bruce over Tim Sherwood any day.

You may be right. But you may also be misinterpreting my intention for these shares. For a start, my investments aren’t my pension or to pay off the mortgage early, my plan is to take them out at the end of 2021 or start of 2022. They’re not that long-term, in this case.

Having closely watched travel shares go down to 1/5 or 1/4 of what they were this time last year, I know it’s a gamble, but I find it hard to believe that they’re a huge risk to not be up in the next 12 months (short of one of them going bust, of course). 

If, after I’ve done what I want to with these shares, I may invest again and go for the ‘spread it thinly’ approach, although something about that doesn’t appeal to me as much. Maybe that’s the gambler in me!

Edit: Reading back my post from Sunday, I realise now that I said those shares were for the long-term. I guess I should have said..... short to medium term? 😅 I was saying long-term as opposed day trading etc. To me, 2 years from the purchase date is long term :D

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

While nobody can predict the market and thinking you can is an absolute fool's move. I must admit I've been thinking another downturn would happen after the market start a slow correction in Feb, to culminate in March. A bit like last year. It's pure speculation from my part and I've got no idea why I'm thinking it, but I'm noticing a slight correction in the market now. 

If it leads to a major correction in March, I think I have to write a book or something. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately for my predicition it seems the Biden stimulus will arrive mid March, so there's that I guess. Oh well, like a said, a fool's move.  

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bought some TUI just now and it’s $5 up inside 5 minutes. 
By about tea time tomorrow I’ll have enough profit to pay for a nice holiday. :lol: 

Haha Yeah TUI and other travel companies are surging after that announcement. I bought TUI a few weeks back when they were at low 300s. Looking good at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Haha Yeah TUI and other travel companies are surging after that announcement. I bought TUI a few weeks back when they were at low 300s. Looking good at the moment.

I looked at it a few times around 350/360, like many, I expect they’ll recover a lot of the 2020. Bought in at 409 so let’s see. Not mega money, just a bit of a side interest.

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

I looked at it a few times around 350/360, like many, I expect they’ll recover a lot of the 2020. Bought in at 409 so let’s see. Not mega money, just a bit of a side interest.

As has been mentioned in here, travel is a risk, but I just feel like from a few months ago ‘the only way is up’ seemed very likely.

I got on IAG (British Airways) when they were slumping a few months ago too. IAGs gains are not as much as TUIs today, but my fingers are crossed for a decent rise there too.

March 4th is when Cellular Goods (the David Beckham backed Cannaboid(sp?)  company) goes live on the LSE. I got on the IPO at 5p a share and there’s talk that it could reach 50p by the end of March. Which seems very optimistic to me, but the IPO was massively oversubscribed, to the point that thousands of people got a fraction of what they wanted from the IPO, so there will be people (myself included) looking to get extra shares as soon as they go live. Could be one to watch.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As has been mentioned in here, travel is a risk, but I just feel like from a few months ago ‘the only way is up’ seemed very likely.

I got on IAG (British Airways) when they were slumping a few months ago too. IAGs gains are not as much as TUIs today, but my fingers are crossed for a decent rise there too.

March 4th is when Cellular Goods (the David Beckham backed Cannaboid(sp?)  company) goes live on the LSE. I got on the IPO at 5p a share and there’s talk that out could reach 50p by the end of March. Which seems very optimistic to me, but the IPO was massively oversubscribed, to the point that thousands of people got a fraction of what they wanted from the IPO, so there will be people (myself included) looking to get extra shares as soon as they go live. Could be one to watch.

Cheers for the tip.

I’m still waiting for FLIXX to boom :lol: They are promising to pump a load of liquidity in this week as it’s been held back for a while due to exchange hacks. If it gets towards half of what it was at 1 point I’ll be paying off my mortgage. 

I'm vary about investing in travel stocks tbh. I thought about it through 2020, but I just don't think 2021 will be a good year either. I can't really see any recovery that will be sufficient enough. Loads of these companies are absolutely haemorrhaging money and there will be massive share dilutions in a lot of companies methinks. 

I like being contrarian, and I understand your play, but unless the travel companies are anchored in governmental ownership, I'd be very careful. 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I put £400 into eToro to have a little dabble and it’s been down for maintenance pretty much since. Lots of very angry customers on Twitter.

I was one of those angry people. It was down for over 8 hours. 

Didn’t have a massive effect on me as I don’t have a huge amount invested, but enough that not being able to make trades on a very volatile day was a problem. 

I had plans to buy some crypto after the correction and missed the chance. I’d have made a decent few quid on current values. 

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I was one of those angry people. It was down for over 8 hours. 

Didn’t have a massive effect on me as I don’t have a huge amount invested, but enough that not being able to make trades on a very volatile day was a problem. 

I had plans to buy some crypto after the correction and missed the chance. I’d have made a decent few quid on current values. 

Few people on Twitter were speculating that it was related to the big sell off of crypto but who knows.

• Like 1

Â