Pre match thread

roonst83

Obviously a tough game. Boro have the meanest defence in the league having only conceded 10 goals all season but they don't score many and are the joint lowest scorers in the top 10.

This will be a great game to show the contrast to how we have changed from last season where we went to Boro twice, kept things really tight and came away with 1 nil victories on both occasions. We just don't have it in us now in terms of personnel or in the managers DNA to play that way though.

Attacking wise we have the best midfield and front line in the division and despite Boro's tight defence I expect us to score. Given our defensive issues though despite Boro's lack of goals I expect they'll score and for us to win we'll have to score 2 or 3. I'm going for a 2-1 win to us.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Pulis truly was a good coach he would still be managing in the prem, fact is he don't.

It's time for Smith to show everyone that he got what it takes to get us to that next level.

I wouldn't say its time, because he has only been with us a short time....it will be interesting though.

Pulis is not a bad coach or a good one....he is a bit single dimensional, a bit like Neil Warnock, he is good at keeping teams up and grinding out results.

His teams just frustrate opposition forwards....you just have to be good enough to negate it.

When teams deny you space, you then see how good you are at trying to create it.....patience is key, I suspect today.

• Like 1

This game is so so important, whislt a loss away from home against an inform Boro wouldnt be the end of the world, a win, after Derby away, she and Forest at home would really send out a message that under Smith we are the real deal. 

I'm confident we will score, sadly I think we will also concede.

I'm going for another thriller. 3-2. 

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Watching Leeds on TV. we have nothing and no one to fear. If they score we will score 2 

you are right, we having nothing to fear play wise.....just the 11 point gap isn't too grand.

Can't give this lot a lead, need to just knock it about, they'll give us 2/3rds of the pitch to play in and hit us on the counter. Should just play keep ball for the first 45 and take the sting out of it and get them tired from chasing it. Then get more adventurous the later it gets, if we have to chase it I think they'll win. That said, on our day we should have enough to score a few even against this lot.

I'm hoping it'll be a little less mental than the last two anyway. Would take a point now, but no reason why we can't win it....

OK, the consensus seems to be that they will bully us in our own box, based largely on how poorly we defended against forest.  I don't think there's any doubt Pulis will try.  It's what he does every game, he's not going to do less than that today.  I just suspect that DS understands "prepared" a bit better than we are used to.

1) Forest did not beat us by trying to bully us in our own box.  Quite the opposite, they passed around us and through us.  It's a very different weakness.  DS will know that.

2) Of course Pulis will attack the same way he always does.  I think we will likely make a change or two to make that harder.  if nothing else, bringing Revel and Collins in will send a clear message to the CB's that they need to play well or not play at all.  I suspect we may see someone in center mid that will hold the middle and be good in the air.  I don't know what that might look like, but would bet that a CB of Chester and Collins with Axel as a DM has crossed our coaching staff minds.  I'll also bet that our GK coach has had Nyland coming out and catching high balls in traffic all week long.

I hope the roster we have can make the adjustments we need.  But that remains to be seen.  The difference now is that I trust our coaching team to see, coach, and instruct the players to make the adjustments we need.  I'm guessing a draw at 2-2 or 3-3.  But it all depends on how the players make the adjustments needed.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by srsmithusa