Pre match thread

roonst83

8 minutes ago, villaglint said:

One 10 goal thriller and everyone starts craving the more conservative/pragmatic approach of Stevie Bruce. Deano is not afraid and never steps back. 

His bigger concern is not to sure up the DM but rather how he can shoehorn in ElGhazi into the starting eleven. Maybe swap him for Taylor. 

I am up for going full Keegan style Newcastle. Minimum 5 goals in every game, batter most teams and every now and then explode in spectacular style. 

I don't think we will struggle to score goals for playing one dm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Would you play Bjarnason then? I’d play Jedinak to add a bit of grit and physicality which I think we lack

I don't know if you've seen Birkir play or not but he is more than capable playing as a dm just in front of 2 cb's.

He's aggressiveness and playing style being constantly in the opponent's face is just what we lack atm. Really liked what i saw the few minutes he got under Smith before getting injured.

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Good point, maybe Grealish in the Pirlo role and ElGhazi where Jacks been playing? 

Jack is not a Pirlo player. Jack needs to be box to box with a free role together with McGinn, with a Birkir type of player behind them.

That's just my opinion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know if you've seen Birkir play or not but he is more than capable playing as a dm just in front of 2 cb's.

He's aggressiveness and playing style being constantly in the opponent's face is just what we lack atm. Really liked what i saw the few minutes he got under Smith before getting injured.

I didn’t say I didn’t rate him, I just prefer Jedinak for his physical presence, I know he’s getting older but I just think he has been a bit unfairly treated, mainly by the previous manager. Bjarnason is more than decent, has good ability on the ball but is just a bit slight, that’s all

I think Jedinak's physical presence is quite easily avoided - if you can run, you can just run passed him or around him - I'm also not sure his passing is consistent enough for this system, ultimately though, he's now just not mobile enough to play in midfield. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Jedinak's physical presence is quite easily avoided - if you can run, you can just run passed him or around him - I'm also not sure his passing is consistent enough for this system, ultimately though, he's now just not mobile enough to play in midfield. 

Oh I don’t hinge all my hopes on Jedi. It was just a consideration as he’s pretty good in the air, particularly in defensive situations and I expect Boro will look to exploit our frailty in that area.

I’m not completely comfortable with any of Jedi, Thor, Whelan or Hourihane in that role. So I think we’ll have to play to our strengths and just hope that the defence realises it has a point to prove.

I think they’ll score and I think we’ll score. But that’s about as much as I can guess.

Personally my current first 11 would be:

---a goalkeeper ---

Elmo ---- Tuanzebe ---- Chester ---- Hutton

Grealish ---- Bjarnason ---- Mcginn

Bolasie ---- Abraham ---- Adomah

With jedinak, El Ghazi and Kodjia to switch in and out dependant on the opposition.

El Ghazi to possibly replace Adomah in the first 11 dependant on whether he can show real ability and that he deserves a start.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

---a goalkeeper ---

Elmo ---- Tuanzebe ---- Chester ---- Hutton

Grealish ---- Bjarnason ---- Mcginn

Bolasie ---- Abraham ---- Adomah

Agreed. Birkir gives us that balance between attack and defence that we need.

Need a backup for him though, Jedi has no tempo and not suited for the system.

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Oh I don’t hinge all my hopes on Jedi. It was just a consideration as he’s pretty good in the air, particularly in defensive situations and I expect Boro will look to exploit our frailty in that area.

We won't beat a Pulis side that way. He will always have taller and stronger players than you. The way to dominate Pulis is to never give them the ball and play them off the park.

• Like 1

They’ve conceded 10 all season. We need to get the lead and force them to try and attack. If we fall behind it could get tricky.  

Then again I thought that against forest so anything’s possible in this crazy league! 

Edit: They’ve only failed to win one game that they have taken the lead in. That was a 1-1 against Hull away.

It will be attacking football v anti football.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

that should win just because there are more of us than there are of them

It's still 11. The keeper is the clever bit. 

• Haha 2

Hutton is out fellas

If I'm honest Elmo and Taylor terrify me for this game. They are going to get some pressure and will be isolated quid a lot.

Edited by Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Hutton is out fellas

If I'm honest Elmo and Taylor terrify me for this game. They are going to get some pressure and will be isolated quid a lot.

Elmo doesn't terrify me, still a decent player. 

Taylor though...