• Abraham
    • Bolasie
    • El Ghazi (Kodjia 66)
    • McGinn (Whelan 78)
    • Elmohamady (Bolasie 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/12/18 at 17:30

Seems strange not to give a 4 goal striker MOTM but gave it to Bolasie for dragging us back into the game at 0-2 - he is going to terrorise Championship defences this season.

Nyland was so bad for that final goal. We’d done so well to finally get ahead on the night, Axel had pushed Grabban wide and to concede at the near post like that is horrendous. 

Bitterly disappointing to have the ball in the goal 7 (seven!) times and not win.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

well, we didnt lose, should have won, but we showed some fight to get back in it from 0-2 down, then went 5-4 up, and threw it away, lol whats going on :P

Fair play to AV, we are scoring goals, isnt that FOURTEEN goals in the last 4 games????

Chester.......urgh i really dont rate him tbh, Nyland ........urgh, and Hourihane, not keen on him in the DM role, yes he can pass a bit, but the last 3 or more games all i see him doing when he should be tackling/closing down is throwing his hands up, not getting in there or just shirking defensive stuff, i really dont see Hourihane working in that role.

I honestly think if we replace Nyland and Chester, get a new LB and a proper DM who can place a pass AND defend, we will be a force.

Chester and Axel are ok IMO, the midfield didn't get close enough to Lolley tonight, we gave it away far too easily for their first few goals. Nyland I'll agree based on tonight's performance, but he'd been looking better of late, the Grabban goal for 5-5 is hard to forgive though. 

Need to defend better as a unit, but our problem tonight was giving it away when we should have been launching an attack, the great McGinn turn and shot to beat Lolley's challenge had he lost it to Lolley they were clean through. That happened a lot and we lost the ball, these are things we can work on pretty easily though. The hard stuff we seem to be great with, we're scoring for fun, it was sloppiness mostly that cost us. I'd agree with a good DM though, one that can break things up and pick a pass. Not too easy to find though.

/me puts positive hat and rose tinted spectacles on....

Nyland obviously did us a great service tonight, by deciding to allow 5 goals in, he had consciously decided to force our forwards to give us the fans a spectacle of our attacking prowess, i have no doubt as Nyland conceded his 3rd, he thought, "there is more to come from our forward line, we need to concede a 4th to ensure the fans get their money's worth ", and in good faith and for the good of entertainment decided to ship the 4th and then the 5th, thus forcing the wider team to copious displays of attacking play.

Thus....ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY NYLAND< MAN OF THE MATCH  for ensuring we had our hearts in our mouth and were entertained......."ARE YOU ENTERTAINED!?!?!".

/me serious

WTH Nyland ARRRRGHHHH.

You can't blame one player, our whole setup was woefully imbalanced. Forest were able to get the ball forward so easily, there was little protection for the back 4 and every time Forest seemed to go forward they scored. 

Saying that, it seems odd to say that we totally dominated that game, because we did. I don't know what to think, but conceding 5 at home to a middle of the road team is quite shocking really. 

Chester was very poor, Tuenzebe looked shaky defensively but excellent on the ball. McGinn is still injured I think and the 'keeper gives me the jitters. Hutton is so limited going forward and Taylor doesn't seem to offer much.

I don't know, you can't really make sense of a 5-5. Conceding 5 at home is a worry.

I absolutely love the way we're playing under Smith. All I said was I'd rather see us win games than draw games, even if the latter is more entertaining. I don't see what's so crazy about that.

Obviously the ideal scenario is that we play the way Smith does and win games. Which we have been doing and will continue to do. I couldn't be happier about that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

I'm a huge fan of Smith and what he's doing but he can't be blameless for the team conceding so many. His system is definitely leaving us very exposed defensively and he needs to sort it out soon. 

Well he can't fix it by changing the back 4 can he? ;)

I think we could be overreacting a bit, they had 5 shots on target and scored 5. We gifted them goals and we created enough to win 3 games. Abraham should have got 5 himself which is an insane thing to be typing. Looking at how they scored, it wasn't just the back 5 either, Lolley was given way too much time and space every time more an organisational thing and midfielders needing to be more aware I guess. I'm sure Smith will be working on it to sort it out. I think January's transfer window might give him some more tools to do so.

**** great game though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Nylan was shite, but Grealish taking his free kick to Whelan to try for the volley??? They must be feeling sorry for him still after his useless penalty

Will the real Paul Scholes please stand up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think we could be overreacting a bit, they had 5 shots on target and scored 5. We gifted them goals and we created enough to win 3 games. Abraham should have got 5 himself which is an insane thing to be typing. Looking at how they scored, it wasn't just the back 5 either, Lolley was given way too much time and space every time more an organisational thing and midfielders needing to be more aware I guess. I'm sure Smith will be working on it to sort it out. I think January's transfer window might give him some more tools to do so.

**** great game though.

Totally agree with that assessment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

**** great game though.

Apparently smith said they had 8 shots on target in the Interview

20 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

Really poor game management at 5-4. Not sure why were still throwing everyone forward at this stage and then Grabban had acres of space in the box to make it 5-5. I love the attacking play were producing but we need to be able to close things out and be a bit more solid at times

i don't like "no hamstrings left" Whelan, so I can sort of agree.  But I understood in this case.  Nyland showed his worst.  But the second biggest problem was that Hourihane is not at his best at DM.  We let several goals be passed into the net by midfielders running right past him.  in theory at least, and in practice, Whelan did prevent that from happening again.

TBF (or generous) to Whelan, I have never had a complaint with his effort.  He just doesn't have the legs any more, sadly.

• Like 4

Happy El Ghazi is back from the dead 👏🏻

WTF has happened to James Chester. Nothing like the same player of the last few seasons. Clearly struggling with the new style of getting it forward quickly.

Nyland... good grief. Get him out of the 1st team asap. Don't care who comes in, Bunn, Moriera, Sarkic, shit Alan Wright playing on his knees would do better. Every team will have his number now and play with a shoot on sight policy - which given Forests shots to goals ratio tonight, won't end well.

just watched the goals, seriously, the 4th and 5th goals that Nyland conceded were seriously terrible.

I literally dont understand what he was doing for the 4th......like.....seriously what the hell was he doing?

The 5th, should never have conceded that at his near post, never ever ever ever.

the first 3, not sure he can be blamed specifically.

Also....we need to sign Lolley, he's a very good little player.

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Ultimately, Villa to win however it comes, but the ideal has to be a 'just' victory. I believe in order, however absurd that ultimately may be.

We're quite on board, mate. :) I'm just reeling still from the result, it's just so absurd to score 5 against Nottingham Forest and not even win. Or to let in 5 and not even lose, if you will.

• Haha 1

Â