• Abraham
    • Bolasie
    • El Ghazi (Kodjia 66)
    • McGinn (Whelan 78)
    • Elmohamady (Bolasie 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/12/18 at 17:30

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Great all round post but this part really hit the nail on the head.  We can’t play with those 3 in the middle against a fast counter attacking team. We saw what happens. 

To be fair to smith because of injuries I didn’t have much choice. Whelan doesn’t have the legs anymore. I think Thor would have started had he been fit. 

Maybe an area that needs addressing after goal keeper and defensive cover.

edit: I just realised I quoted a quote : response was meant for @OutByEaster?

What Injuries ?  BB & Jedi - they weren't regulars anyway ? 

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

You don’t think Forest will go up then ?🙂

Stoke and Boro for Automatic ?

I don't know, they were away from home and down to 10 men, for a spell, I would slightly forgive their 5 goals more than ours, however, we should have had 2 more and won.

lets be honest Terry, Dean like all of us will have mixed feelings on that game....great spectacle of course in terms of offensive football, but....

Stoke and Boro for Automatic.....not sure about that either.

look its misleading to try and get in to a debate about Offensive V defensive styles.....to go up you have to do both with competency.

In my view we was incompetent defensively ( as a team)

I agree with OBE by the way the midfield have to take their share of the defensive frailties.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's just too much. 

In the opening three minutes of the second half, we had three corners, there was a desperate clearance from under his crossbar from a Forest defender, we had two penalty shouts and shots from Grealish and McGinn blocked. That was three minutes.

It's frustrating, with the chances we had we should have scored more goals. We scored five goals. Those two sentences shouldn't belong together but they do. I'm not sure what the last one was disallowed for, I think we should have had at least one penalty for handball and I think Tammy should have buried the header just before halftime. On top of that, we had enough efforts on goal to win three games. It's frustrating, I'm frustrated, but I was grinning all the way home.

The two centre backs might take a lot of criticism tonight, individually I think Tuanzebe backed away from the ball for the second or third one and was responsible, but I don't actually think either of them defended all that badly, it's just that they were the only players that were interested in defending.

All of their goals seemed to come from players running through the middle of the park with no interference from our midfield - Grealish, McGinn and Hourihane aren't going with runners - there's not a naturally defensive bone in any of em. I think Hourihane dropped off a forward for the fourth when he should have been putting a challenge in, I think that's the only other one I'd put down to an individual. If we want this midfield, we need to put up with conceding goals. I want this midfield.

The keeper just isn't up to it and collectively we are just wide open at the back, but even with all that said, Forest scored with every single shot on target they had - they'll be as pleased with their five goals as we are disappointed with ours. There will be plenty of people who will be worrying about us tightening up at the back, who'll be concerned that you can't win games if you concede - it's true I guess, but it's not our defending that most concerns me.

What's very clear is that if you want to come to Villa Park and win, you need to bring ALL of the goals, all the goals you have, all the goals you've been saving up, all the flukey goals you've got and all the wonder strikes you have in you, because, we are going to score hatfuls this season. I'd back us to beat any team that don't score more than twice against us in the league. 

The front line of Abraham, Bolasie, Kodjia, Grealish and McGinn are a class apart from anything else in this league - they shouldn't be here. We will score five goals again this season. I can see us regularly scoring four. We're massively impressive going forward. I don't worry about us conceding, I worry about us switching off. Against sha on Sunday at 3-1 we took our foot off it and had a rest and they scored, tonight we did the same at 5-4 - Abraham dropped into midfield and everyone wanted a breather - we stopped and they didn't. It was made more obvious when we started up again after the final equaliser, put the ball in the net twice and created another seven hundred chances. That's the thing for me that we need to cut out of our game - if we play for 90 minutes we'll outscore anyone in this league. 

For their part, I thought Forest were lively - they're not bad at the back, they came into tonight's game on the back of three clean sheets, I thought Grabban was superb, Lolley played well and their number 10 was a handful - they played a part in a truly wonderful spectacle. While we're at it, I think their fans were the loudest I've heard at Villa Park this season. Fair play to em. We still should have won though.

As it was tonight, I think 7-5 would have been a fairer reflection of things. Which is a ridiculous thing to write. It was a ridiculous game. Following Sunday we're accidentally stuck in "epic" mode - we're the best watch in football, the most entertaining team in the all four divisions right now and we will score for fun. It's a little disappointing not to have won, but if you don't take some sort of joy out of nights like tonight I worry about you. 

Forest were a little lucky, we were a little unlucky, 32,000 fans were very lucky indeed. I'm not sure where we'll finish this season, although I'm increasingly convinced it'll be in the interesting part of the table, what I am sure about is that we'll get there in a massive storm of goals and excitement, and I for one can't wait.

Good rendition.....agree very much about the midfield, however McGinn can put his foot in , still looked unfit to me.

I must confess as much as I loved the Offensive display....I was mortified in HOW we conceded.

The Wolves game last season is more up my street.....I don't enjoy watching defending like that, sorry.

It was almost bordering on , shots in on the street.

during the game they were much sharper in getting their foot in to disrupt our play, than we was trying to disrupt their play, that touches on workrate too. Kodjia as just one example was just ambling in much of the game, no physical contribution at all as opposed to Grabban who was working his centre half all game.

Overall we allowed them FAR too much space to play in and a decent side, which they are will do just that.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tro I’m glad you feel the same way. As entertaining as it was I don’t wish to see that again. A few solid comfortable wins will be better for the heart. 

It will be better for the quest of promotion too.

On 27/11/2018 at 17:23, BOF said:

Hoping [Lolley] doesn't go down the "I want to be such a thorn in their side that they'll have to buy me" route.

:angry::angry: Oh well.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Defending is boring anyway

Necessary evil.

unless you like trophies and promotions.....I would do away with it.

but if you have arthritis in your neck...you're ****ed at 5-5

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

2 points lost thanks to frankly the worst defensive display I have ever seen from every single player. You defend from the bloody front and we did zero. The blues game defensively should have been a wake up call yet this defensive performance. Not good enough Villa and the sooner January comes the better. I'm fuming. From back to front that was utter dog turd defending. At least 3 of their goals came from Hourihane trotting around rather than either tracking or closing his man down. As for the keeper. Words fail me. Bruce chased him for  a good few years. He should have been sacked for that.

I have had to comment twice, because it represents the best post on here of how I feel.

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

What was the last ten goal game at Villa Park. What was the Blackburn league cup score? But did that go to extra time?

was it old corinthians or something.

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont know what that means.

It was a football team formed in 1882 and played at Queens club, Crystal Palace.

It spoils it when I have to explain, ten goal game.

those were the type of scores with 2-3-5 formation....it was said light heartedly of course.

Edited by TRO

When we went 2-0 down I fully expected us to still win the game. When we got back to 2-2 it all made sense and I thought we’d go on to win comfortably. 3-2 and 4-3 were both a big surprise but I still expected us to win and when we scored to go 5-4 it had a feeling of inevitability about it. 

Anyone ever felt like that before about Villa? Not sure I have, it was a mad feeling and made all the more surreal by the crazy game itself. Made even more mad still by the late equaliser for them. 

When I came up to bed my wife asked the score, I told her and we both burst out laughing. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TRO said:

there will be nights when we don't score as readily....if we defend like that get ready for a few defeats.

you cannot go up defending like that.

There will also be nights where we defend a lot better. 

Â