Black Friday - Good/Bad ?

hippo

Personally I find stories of people fighting over so called bargains very depressing. Is this what we have been reduced too ? Like dogs fighting over a bone - hard pressed consumers fighting each other to save a few quid....the very worst of the 21st century......

• Like 1

I never go into shops, do it all online. Sound Of Vinyl have some great bargains, albums for under a tenner and in some cases under £7

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

Black Friday is great if you genuinely have your eye on something and it happens to get a discount on Black Friday. 

But it’s become 90% fake sales. And people still fall for it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Personally I find stories of people fighting over so called bargains very depressing. Is this what we have been reduced too ? Like dogs fighting over a bone - hard pressed consumers fighting each other to save a few quid....the very worst of the 21st century......

I think some may be hard pressed. Some just want to make a fast buck and flog it on ebay. 

I'd rather may more and not have to endure the public. 

I work for a company that manages the maintenance at a number of retail clients, and yesterday even the staff were telling me that black friday is nonsense. 

In the days leading up to yesterday certain items have increased in price by £300, and yesterday they "reduced" by £200, so still £100 more expensive. 

I guess there are genuine savings to be had but there are also many sale prices that have been completely fabricated. 

35 minutes ago, av1 said:

I work for a company that manages the maintenance at a number of retail clients, and yesterday even the staff were telling me that black friday is nonsense. 

In the days leading up to yesterday certain items have increased in price by £300, and yesterday they "reduced" by £200, so still £100 more expensive. 

I guess there are genuine savings to be had but there are also many sale prices that have been completely fabricated. 

This is exactly it. Some people are absolute fools and still fall for this crap. 

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is exactly it. Some people are absolute fools and still fall for this crap. 

Absolutely. The store in question told me that black Friday is the best sales day of the year so many do fall for it. 

I'm working today and I've just pulled up at a site and there are people queuing outside. 

It's like the retail industry have taken a leaf out of the Sports Direct sales handbook.

This pair of Lonsdale pants was £56,464.72. But today you can have 3 pairs for £2.99. 

Edited by av1

29 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm working today and I've just pulled up at a site and there are people queuing outside. 

It's like the retail industry have taken a leaf out of the Sports Direct sales handbook.

This pair of Lonsdale pants was £56,464.72. But today you can have 3 pairs for £2.99. 

Yeah but they were £3.29 for a week in September, so who's the fool now?

• Haha 1

If retailers come up with an idea to get lots of people into shops on a particular day, don't be surprised that I don't spend a single penny or indeed set foot inside a single shop

Shopping is not a pastime for me (caveat: music), it's an activity untaken when necessary. When something is likely to make that necessity more difficult, I will delay undertaking it

• Like 2

Â