Black Friday - Good/Bad ?

hippo

16 hours ago, hippo said:

Personally I find stories of people fighting over so called bargains very depressing. Is this what we have been reduced too ? Like dogs fighting over a bone - hard pressed consumers fighting each other to save a few quid....the very worst of the 21st century......

Seems like a bit of a straw man. What percentage of shoppers or the general population are you describing? Why equivocate this number with all humanity?

I suspect the (enormous) majority of people simply don't care about marketing events.

The online sales are pretty good, but as @Stevo985 rightly says, only If you've got your eye on something already. 

Its only worth it if it's a genuine sale on current/full price stuff. 

Adidas is very good this year. 30% off all full price items (except Yeezy's 😡) and you can add the 30% To stuff that's already discounted too. 

I did get a few bits yesterday, but nothing 'Black Friday' related other than a fire stick for my lad. 

There are usually a few genuine bargains around but you need to hunt for them amongst the crap. You can usually get some really good deals on consoles which i imagine make up a lot of peoples christmas presents so if you can save £100+ by getting it this weekend it makes sense if you were going to buy it anyway.

The only things i have bought this year were 12 months xbox game pass for 50% off, this years f1 game for £22 & a couple of 128gb sd cards for my phone for £15 each. Don't really need anything else or i may have bought more but i have saved about £90 on stuff i would have bought anyway by purchasing it this week so it works for me.

Also managed to save £470 on my virgin bill for the next 12 months. Sure i could have done this anytime by ringing them & moaning about the price but doubt i would have got as much of a discount (£35pm + £50 off next bill) if it hadn't been for the really cheap black friday deals both they & sky were offering for new customers.

Edited by LakotaDakota

Got a new phone for the wife last week, decent price and airtime, Virgin threw in a PS4 with FIFA 19 for free.

Obviously as non of us are interested in gaming, I sold the console :)

Also not related to Black Friday, but whaddever

10 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think I've ever bought anything on Black Friday. Last year I was in Florida for the week around Thanksgiving and it was crazy how much of the TV news was devoted to it and where the best bargains were.

we are well trained consumers here

Well, we needed a new cooker anyway, been looking for weeks. Got £65 off for buying it this weekend rather than last week or next week.

Got a month to work out how it cooks compared with the old one I've used for the last 15 years. Then it's 8 people for Chrimbo lunch!

Agree with most here who say that it's worth saving up a few big purchases for if you can wait.

My dad in his retirement has started taking a keen interest in the NBA, specifically the 76ers because they have Ben Simmons, an Australian playing for them. I've been waiting for these sales to buy him a few pieces of 76ers merchandise online from Fanatics, along with a couple of items i'd had my eye on. At the shops I was able to buy some clothes i'd needed at a pretty good discount. The shops here were busy but not ridiculous.

Â