Dean Smith

Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I really don't get some people, they find anything to complain about.

Positive things to take from last night far outweigh the negatives, yet a few are concentrating on the negatives and quite frankly making themselves look silly.

We dominated the game possession wise and our chances created were far far superior.

Lets remember they scored with every shot - its something that rarely happens in football. Everyone in the UK is talking about this being a freak result, but watching the game, I'd say there was nothing freaky about our 5 goals - we thoroughly deserved them based on chances created and the way we generally played. Forest on the other hand, scored with every attempt - that is freaky - on a normal day that would have been 1 goal or at a push 2. A fair result last night would have been 6-2.

With this in mind, certain people are using it as a question mark over Dean Smith, whos been nothing short of fantastic since he arrived. Its quite frankly disrespecting your own manager.  

I think you’ve totally taken constructive criticism out of context. Just because we are not spending all day waxing lyrical over our new manager it doesn’t mean we’re unhappy. 

Ridicolous to suggest a poster talking about concerns makes them look silly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you’ve totally taken constructive criticism out of context. Just because we are not spending all day waxing lyrical over our new manager it doesn’t mean we’re unhappy. 

Ridicolous to suggest a poster talking about concerns makes them look silly.

All I'm saying is that it was a one off freak outcome of conceding so many goals, I've seen Nyland getting pelters when really he wasnt that bad (and has been pretty good of late) and before last night where we conceded every shot they took, we had only conceded 4 goals in 6 games. Just feels like people are getting carried away I'm seeing far more nonsense than "constructive criticism". 

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I really don't get some people, they find anything to complain about.

Positive things to take from last night far outweigh the negatives, yet a few are concentrating on the negatives and quite frankly making themselves look silly.

We dominated the game possession wise and our chances created were far far superior.

Lets remember they scored with every shot - its something that rarely happens in football. Everyone in the UK is talking about this being a freak result, but watching the game, I'd say there was nothing freaky about our 5 goals - we thoroughly deserved them based on chances created and the way we generally played. Forest on the other hand, scored with every attempt - that is freaky - on a normal day that would have been 1 goal or at a push 2. A fair result last night would have been 6-2.

With this in mind, certain people are using it as a question mark over Dean Smith, whos been nothing short of fantastic since he arrived. Its quite frankly disrespecting your own manager.  

You have to ask question and critisize when you concede 5 goals in a home game. I'm sorry but it's not good enough

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

All I'm saying is that it was a one off freak outcome of conceding so many goals, I've seen Nyland getting pelters when really he wasnt that bad (and has been pretty good of late) and before last night where we conceded every shot they took, we had only conceded 4 goals in 6 games. Just feels like people are getting carried away I'm seeing far more nonsense than "constructive criticism". 

You got the odd Bruce lover questioning Smith. In the main the concern is our defence and keeper in general.

This is something Smith will need to address and will need time and money to do this. Everyone accepted that when he took over. 

We conceded 2 to Norwich due to errors. 1 to  QPR due to an error. Derby missed 2 one on ones due to errors, Bolton had one amazingly cleared off the line. 

Birmingham scored one due to an error and missed an open goal. 

A more clinical team was eventually going to take these guilt edge chances that we keep letting teams create. It’s a massive concern for some fans and I’m sure it is for Smith too.

its not complaining, moaning for sake of moaning or being ungrateful. It’s an understandable concern. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You have to ask question and critisize when you concede 5 goals in a home game. I'm sorry but it's not good enough

Well I bloody loved it, I'd take a 5-5 draw where we were the much better side, over a 0-0 where we dont even create one clear cut chance - everytime, so long may it continue.

Playing with the same mentality we beat Derby 3-0 and Blues 4-2, Forest just took every chance they had, would have won 6-2 to on another day the way we played. Its very rare you see teams have 5 shots and 5 goals so I for one am not going to let it bother me as much as others obviously have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

just an observation.

I find it intriguing how one fan can say Shambolic defence and you say pretty good.

The contrast is significant........just how we all see the game so differently.

@TRO I guess I was referring to the individual efforts of our defense as opposed to the defensive performance of the team. Even though they kind of go hand in hand, the way both teams played the game, notably on the front foot, was more cause for the game seeing 10 goals go in than any particularly bad or "shambolic" mistakes from players.

As I said, I didn't see the first two Forest goals and so can't comment, but aside from Hourihane allowing Lolley time to set himself for his shot and Nyland allowing Grabban's tame effort between him and the near post, the game was filled with moments where the defenders were put to the test, and I saw numerous occasions where our defenders (Tuanzebe and Hutton mostly) put in commendable efforts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well I bloody loved it, I'd take a 5-5 draw where we were the much better side, over a 0-0 where we dont even create one clear cut chance - everytime, so long may it continue.

Let's agree to disagree then.

For myself i will never find it acceptable to concede 5 goals at home. Maybe if it were Man City or Liverpool, but this was Forest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What I really liked about last night was how we played the same way throughout, no panicking after conceding, even at 2 down (though it didn't last for long).

We've been so reactionary for so long, long before and during Bruce's reign. 

Was thinking the same myself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

For myself i will never find it acceptable to concede 5 goals at home. Maybe if it were Man City or Liverpool, but this was Forest.

Do you not think we were the better side and had many more clear cut chances we should have scored from? would you genuinely have preferred a 0-0 where neither side created a chance?

Our previous 6 games under Smith have shown conceding 5 is an exception and not the norm, but yeah you can take one crazy game and find it unacceptable if you want. So yeah lets agree to disagree

Absolutely. Conceding 5, questions have to be asked. Putting it down to a freak result and saying the keeper wasn't bad is just as much of a weird thing to say. 

Why not say the amount t of goals we scored was a freak one off? Forest are solid at the back. 

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Do you not think we were the better side and had many more clear cut chances we should have scored from? would you genuinely have preferred a 0-0 where neither side created a chance?

Our previous 6 games under Smith have shown conceding 5 is an exception and not the norm, but yeah you can take one crazy game and find it unacceptable if you want. So yeah lets agree to disagree

Yes i think we were clearly the better side but it's still a disgrace to concede 5 goals at home

1 hour ago, TRO said:

we will see?

you can quote stats Terry, but the game and its spectacle reveals all.

Dean Smith himself declared his frustration at their 5th goal.

We could easily have gone 2 down against Blues in the early exchanges and then we go 2 down in 7 minutes against Forest, its not a one off.

watching the game, there is a clear problem, when teams attack us.

These things can't be just dismissed or swept under the carpet....they are legitimate issues.

we have conceded 30 goals so far this season....with Middlesbrough's 10.....that suggests an issue to me.

We have issues.

My point is ours are being exaggerated and those of other teams ignored.

I’ve shown the goals Conceeded since Smith joined.

”you can quote stats but the game reveals all “ ? 

The stats show since Smith joined we’ve conceeded pretty much the same as all but 2 rivals.

Thats not Trump stats, or Brexit stats.....it simply shows what has been the case.

If there is a “clear problem” how come we’ve had 3 clean sheets in that period ? How come our record is the same as, for example, Derby’s ? Have they a “clear problem” ? Etc etc.

You refer to goals Conceeded this season.

So you take one game and all games but not just all of Smiths games? Which is by far the relevant one.

You then mention Boro - managed by Pukis ! They are thrilled if they score a goal !

I hope our goals Conceeded total is nowhere near theirs all sthe Aston...there is only one way to conceed so few and it’s unwatchable.

Why compare us to them yet when I compare us to ALL teams since Smith arrived that’s just a “statistic”.

At this stage of Bruce’s best season, when he was described by some as ‘ making us hard to beat” etc, we Conceeded 7 goals in 7 games. With last nights freak result we’ve conceded 10. 

One was a big achievement, the other is a big problem.

Id almost call it hysterical !

• Like 3

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Absolutely. Conceding 5, questions have to be asked. Putting it down to a freak result and saying the keeper wasn't bad is just as much of a weird thing to say. 

Why not say the amount t of goals we scored was a freak one off? Forest are solid at the back. 

Already explained this - we had 20+ chances.. 12 on target - so showing 5 goals for it is an acceptable ratio - you could say we could have scored more, perhaps should have - certainly deserved at least 5. 

Whereas they scored with every shot on target 5/5. Hence their 5 goals are freaky and ours weren't as we only scored a quarter of our chances. 

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How many is “ acceptable” ?

None ?

One ?

Two ?

Three ?.....or is that becoming unacceptable ?

Is 3 acceptable if you Win 5-3 ? Is it acceptable if you lose 3 - 0 ? 

Is it purely the number that matters, or is it, like so much else, far more nuanced than that ?

Ok, 4 then......surely totally unforgivable, unacceptable, disgraceful .......or is it ? We’re Forest a disgrace ? They Conceeded 5.

I was at Sheffield earlier this season when we Conceeded 4......unacceptable ? I don’t realky know how that word applies to a football result but it was certainly an awful performance and an awful outcome.

But I was at Ipswich when we only Conceeded 1 and that performance was far worse. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Playing with the same mentality we beat Derby 3-0 and Blues 4-2, Forest just took every chance they had, would have won 6-2 to on another day the way we played. Its very rare you see teams have 5 shots and 5 goals so I for one am not going to let it bother me as much as others obviously have.

Indeed

Bruce has a lot to answer for, leaving such a shocking defence. Smith will sort it out in January, there's no doubting that. 

In the meantime, I'm sure we all agree on one thing, seeing Villa become prolific scorers is a truly magical thing. We all knew we had one of the best, if not THE best, attacking line-ups in this league. Now they're showing what we knew all along - they can score goals for fun! 

I'm convinced we are going to trounce some poor buggers by 7 or 8 goals this season. Look how many chances we missed against Derby, Blues and Forest. We could easily have scored 6+ goals in each of our last three games. 

Question our defence all you like but, it's going to take opposition with nerves of steel to try to throw the kitchen sink at us. They all know now that we can score freely and teams will start to think more defensively when they play us from now on. 

I’ll put it another way.

BEFORE last nights game, only Boro and Forest had conceeded LESS than Smiths Villa.

Just 2 Clubs.

And we’d played Derby, Norwich, etc in that time. No slouches at scoring.

Which would mean - for anyone who prefers facts to feelings - that at that stage, under Smith, defence was not a problem.

Yet 90 minutes later it is ?

• Like 3

Â