Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Smith doesn't need a free pass from anyone, he's averaging 2 points per game.

He get's a free pass from me because none of these are his players. A couple of transfer windows in and i will start to criticize if he does things wrong.

Edited by villalad21

56 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Will be interesting to see how long Smith continues to get this free pass from Villatalkers. 

Anything good is down to Smith, anything bad down to Bruce?

That’s a no-lose situation for him for sure.

I think Smith got the midfield wrong yesterday if that helps?  I also think he shouldn’t be starting Nyland. 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He get's a free pass from me because none of these are his players. A couple of transfer windows in and i will start to criticize if he does things wrong.

He's got to start getting things wrong first though :D

• Thanks 1

Do rules state you have to start with a keeper? Something for Smith to consider. Going in with 11 outfield players might give us even more goals and we'd not be conceding any more than we are currently 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well Bruce got 2 years of blind support and endless excuses and lowering of expectations.

Not sure why smith needs a free pass. He has done more than I expected from the new manager at this point. 

In fact he has done so much, it has now made a mockery of all those fans that insisted Steve Bruce needed years and needed certain players before he could be judged. 

If we had done the right thing and sacked the useless manager in the summer as we should have done then we'd be right up there. 

Whilst I agree with everything you say we never conceded 5 goals in one game under Bruce.  (Although shef United should have won by 7 or 8). 

Smith will be hurting by that stat.  it will  never happen again whilst he is in charge.

Bruce came in and steadied a sinking ship. Most sensible fans can agree on that. Beyond that, he didn't achieve anything of note. An overpaid, old squad, where he banked everything, almost including the club's entire existence, on beating a team who were eminently better than us (Fulham) by trying to bore them off the park. With the amount he spent and the players he inherited (Grealish, Chester, Kodjia etc), we should have been promoted in 2nd last season, behind Wolves. Wwe should have comfortably finished ahead of Fulham and Cardiff. But he couldn't out-Cardiff Cardiff (with their defensive football and almost unbelieveable run of 1-0s) or get close to Fulham (with their positive, attacking brand of football).

I wanted him to stay over the summer because with the Xia mess I thought we'd be in a relegation battle, and once again he could steady the ship and keep us afloat for another year. But every performance this season was poor, even the handful of wins we had were fortunate.

The long and short of it is Bruce didn't have an identity for his side. He built his teams around players he got on well with and liked coaching, but his team never had style. What were we? Were we a long ball team? Probably not even that. What was the point in signing players like Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan when they would never in a million years fit into the kind of team he played. There was a reason he would always sign Elmohamady and there was a reason Elmo would always get the most touches each match under Bruce. It's because he is a hard working, likeable, competent professional who has a good cross. But not ever one to build a system around (if you can even call it that).

Smith has come in and already we have a style. The crap defence is going to be an issue, I suspect even after January. Nyland has probably cost us 10 goals this season already solely down to individual errors, which is utterly unacceptable and frankly baffling. But for me Smith'a style is changing the culture of the team, on and off the pitch. And this is a clear long-term vision that Bruce never had - we aren't just trying to buy the league and throwing on 5 strikers when we are a goal down (which is a metaphor for Bruce's time, as well as his frequent tactic). I'm a fickle fan, no doubt I'll say things against Smith in the heat of the moment when the chips are down. But we have to back him, and back him long term. I certainly will be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Will be interesting to see how long Smith continues to get this free pass from Villatalkers. 

After 2yrs, 4 Windows and a completely new squad people (yourself included) were defending the shit Bruce served up because he inherited a mess.

A couple of months in and Smith is getting a free pass?

Dear oh dear. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I agree with everything you say we never conceded 5 goals in one game under Bruce.  (Although shef United should have won by 7 or 8). 

Smith will be hurting by that stat.  it will  never happen again whilst he is in charge.

We also never scored 5 in a match. 

If you instruct 9 men to sit on the 18 yard line the team would be hard to break down, it doesn't mean you are good at organising a defence. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

We also never scored 5 in a match

If you instruct 9 men to sit on the 18 yard line the team would be hard to break down, it doesn't mean you are good at organising a defence. 

Lee Johnson wishes this was true ;)

• Like 2

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Lee Johnson wishes this was true ;)

I think the pre match fireworks maybe clouded my memory of that game 😉

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Says the number one member of the Steve Bruce fan club, comical input at times, you seem to be willing things to go badly.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I will know when the free pass is over when the cabbage falls from the heavens.

Until the coming of that omen, I’m Staying in the Smith conga line.

• Like 1

Â