Dean Smith

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You got the odd Bruce lover questioning Smith. In the main the concern is our defence and keeper in general.

This is something Smith will need to address and will need time and money to do this. Everyone accepted that when he took over. 

We conceded 2 to Norwich due to errors. 1 to  QPR due to an error. Derby missed 2 one on ones due to errors, Bolton had one amazingly cleared off the line. 

Birmingham scored one due to an error and missed an open goal. 

A more clinical team was eventually going to take these guilt edge chances that we keep letting teams create. It’s a massive concern for some fans and I’m sure it is for Smith too.

its not complaining, moaning for sake of moaning or being ungrateful. It’s an understandable concern. 

You are correct.

But it’s the same for ( pretty much) every team in the country and always has been.

Why wouldn’t we make errors ? We are a Championship side.

Making errors, conceding goals, making mistakes.....it’s all perfectly normal, for every Club.

Ive watched the Championship for years in preference to the Premier League and I’ve seen just a handful of sides that make few errors.

45 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well I bloody loved it, I'd take a 5-5 draw where we were the much better side, over a 0-0 where we dont even create one clear cut chance - everytime, so long may it continue.

Playing with the same mentality we beat Derby 3-0 and Blues 4-2, Forest just took every chance they had, would have won 6-2 to on another day the way we played. Its very rare you see teams have 5 shots and 5 goals so I for one am not going to let it bother me as much as others obviously have.

If we had a half decent goalkeeper at least two of last night's goals wouldn't have been conceded. Put a decent keeper between the sticks and we'll win more games - no doubt! 

Which would indicate the bigger problem ?

Beating Boro and the Baggies 4-3 each, or beating them 1-0 each ?

If you were Boro and the Baggies, which would you prefer ?

Is there even any difference ? Does it matter ?

If we Win each game have we (even temporarily) ‘ fixed a problem’, whereas if we beat them 4-3 we will “ have a problem” ?

How about two 0-0 draws ? Good ? Two 3-3 Draws ? Bad ?

Nah.

Its a big big big red herring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Derby, Baggies, Sheffield United, Swansea.

Are they regarded as teams that can’t defend ?

Conceeded same us last 7 games ( ie under Smith).

Leeds and Forest ? 

Regarded as teams that can’t defend ?

Conceeded just 2 less than us - with easier fixtures.

Under Smith we’ve conceeded 0-2-1-0-0-2-5

3 clean sheets, and in 2 of the other games we’ve conceeded 3 goals in total Away from Home at 2 of the Form sides ( Norwich And QPR).

Im far more worried that the myth that we are significantly poorer defensively than other sides in this League takes hold than I am at the reality.

Yep, last night was a freak game, from start to end, how we didn't win is a mystery considering the chances we missed on top of scoring 5. 

I'm gonna hedge my bets that we don't concede 5 goals at home again all season. 

• Like 2

Untracked players running from deep positions hurt us last night . Pressing high up the pitch and losing the ball cheaply is a risk with a high press. Smith has already mentioned this. 

The worrying part about last night is that our oppositions managers will see this and try on capitalise on our lack of experience playing this type of game. 

Stop losing the ball cheaply when we're in possession and learn to track runners when we do.

Nyland wasn't great but we all knew that anyway.Chester is better on the right side and we need another defenders.

Smith is a better manager than anything I have seen since MON.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Which would indicate the bigger problem ?

Beating Boro and the Baggies 4-3 each, or beating them 1-0 each ?

If you were Boro and the Baggies, which would you prefer ?

Is there even any difference ? Does it matter ?

If we Win each game have we (even temporarily) ‘ fixed a problem’, whereas if we beat them 4-3 we will “ have a problem” ?

Nah.

Its a big big big red herring.

I am as excited with the new found ability to score goals, hope it continues at Boro.

However, i think your apparent trade off is something i could not agree with. Scoring loads is great, but to then dismiss conceding as acceptable in the grand scheme of things is not something i subscribe to.

Goals against are a very important part of the game and something i find difficult to ignore.....it gives credence to controlling the game.

I am absolutely sure Dean Smith, will not dismiss what he has witnessed in 2 home games conceding 7..... he will be working on it.

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

Untracked players running from deep positions hurt us last night . Pressing high up the pitch and losing the ball cheaply is a risk with a high press. Smith has already mentioned this. 

The worrying part about last night is that our oppositions managers will see this and try on capitalise on our lack of experience playing this type of game. 

Stop losing the ball cheaply when we're in possession and learn to track runners when we do.

Nyland wasn't great but we all knew that anyway.Chester is better on the right side and we need another defenders.

Smith is a better manager than anything I have seen since MON.

MON is overrated. Forest funnel worked for a while then we lost players and couldn't sustain his ridiculous spending on past sell by date players and he left us in the lurch. Did the same at Sunderland and look where they're at 

On a side note...

What are peoples thoughts on the whole front three moving around?

I saw bolassie up front briefly, and Abraham out wide.

An then Kodj up front.

I'm not sure about the tactical reasoning behind this.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

MON is overrated. Forest funnel worked for a while then we lost players and couldn't sustain his ridiculous spending on past sell by date players and he left us in the lurch. Did the same at Sunderland and look where they're at 

Agree.

Mad some crazy decisions whilst he was here.

He was very well backed and did ok as a result.

53 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You are correct.

But it’s the same for ( pretty much) every team in the country and always has been.

Why wouldn’t we make errors ? We are a Championship side.

Making errors, conceding goals, making mistakes.....it’s all perfectly normal, for every Club.

Ive watched the Championship for years in preference to the Premier League and I’ve seen just a handful of sides that make few errors.

We’re not talking about the odd error. That’s normal. It seems to be costly errors every game! 

If you don’t think we have a problem at the back and are conceding too many soft goals Im them happy for you. 

Thankfully Smith doesn’t feel the same way otherwise we’d be stuck in this league for a very long time. 

49 minutes ago, terrytini said:

How about two 0-0 draws bad, two 3-3 draws bad. 

We need wins. Doesn’t matter how they come.  Poor defending/keeping cost us 2 points yesterday, a least a points against qpr and at least a point against Norwich. 

We’re conceding very soft goals that shouldn’t be happening. There’s no red herring. We just can’t defend. 

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am as excited with the new found ability to score goals, hope it continues at Boro.

However, i think your apparent trade off is something i could not agree with. Scoring loads is great, but to then dismiss conceding as acceptable in the grand scheme of things is not something i subscribe to.

Goals against are a very important part of the game and something i find difficult to ignore.....it gives credence to controlling the game.

I am absolutely sure Dean Smith, will not dismiss what he has witnessed in 2 home games conceding 7..... he will be working on it.

I don’t think you are seeing my point.

Our record under Smith does not require me to dismiss conceding as acceptable.....since it’s on a par with most everyone else’s.

Im not arguing conceding goals doesn’t matter, I’m pointing to the facts that we aren’t out of step with our competitors.

But I guess people will see what they want As always.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

On a side note...

What are peoples thoughts on the whole front three moving around?

I saw bolassie up front briefly, and Abraham out wide.

An then Kodj up front.

I'm not sure about the tactical reasoning behind this.

I like whatever we are doing in the attacking third as it’s seems to be working!  We’re running defenders ragged.

I’ve never seen us create so many chances in games before. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

we will see?

you can quote stats Terry, but the game and its spectacle reveals all.

Dean Smith himself declared his frustration at their 5th goal.

We could easily have gone 2 down against Blues in the early exchanges and then we go 2 down in 7 minutes against Forest, its not a one off.

watching the game, there is a clear problem, when teams attack us.

These things can't be just dismissed or swept under the carpet....they are legitimate issues.

we have conceded 30 goals so far this season....with Middlesbrough's 10.....that suggests an issue to me.

Bolton... in 23rd place on 17 points.. have conceeded 12 (TWELVE) fewer goals than WBA in 4th with 34 points.

Infact, they have conceeded fewer goals than 12 (TWELVE) teams above them in the table.

Their fans must be well chuffed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I like whatever we are doing in the attacking third as it’s seems to be working!  We’re running defenders ragged.

I’ve never seen us create so many chances in games before. 

Oh I totally agree, as you will see from my previous posts.

Just wondered what the thinking behind it all was.

Just now, terrytini said:

I don’t think you are seeing my point.

Our record under Smith does not require me to dismiss conceding as acceptable.....since it’s on a par with most everyone else’s.

Im not arguing conceding goals doesn’t matter, I’m pointing to the facts that we aren’t out of step with our competitors.

But I guess people will see what they want As always.

Teri it’s not just the goals we are conceding it’s the nature of them. Teams aren’t having to work hard enough to score against us. Surely you can see this?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’re not talking about the odd error. That’s normal. It seems to be costly errors every game! 

If you don’t think we have a problem at the back and are conceding too many soft goals Im them happy for you. 

Thankfully Smith doesn’t feel the same way otherwise we’d be stuck in this league for a very long time. 

How about two 0-0 draws bad, two 3-3 draws bad. 

We need wins. Doesn’t matter how they come.  Poor defending/keeping cost us 2 points yesterday, a least a points against qpr and at least a point against Norwich. 

We’re conceding very soft goals that shouldn’t be happening. There’s no red herring. We just can’t defend. 

This simply does not equate to the facts.

Debating based on facts is clearly going out of fashion.

Ive done it with Trump fans, I’ve done it with Brexiteers, I’m not going to waste time doing it on here.

Our defensive record under Smith does not warrant “ we can’t defend”, but please yourself.

• Like 1

Teri it’s not just the goals we are conceding it’s the nature of them. Teams aren’t having to work hard enough to score against us. Surely you can see this?

How hard did Derby work to score theirs ? Oh...hang on.

Or free scoring Norwich ?

Or Swansea ...oh.... 

Or Bolton ?

Or 2nd in the Form Table QPR ?

Between those teams, 3 goals scored .

Surely you can see this ?

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

This simply does not equate to the facts.

Debating based on facts is clearly going out of fashion.

Ive done it with Trump fans, I’ve done it with Brexiteers, I’m not going to waste time doing it on here.

Our defensive record under Smith does not warrant “ we can’t defend”, but please yourself.

Our defensive record under Smith is slightly better than what it was under Bruce.  That’s a fact. 

I’m trying to have what I felt was a reasonable discussion about where we could improve.  But you’ve clearly got a bee in your bonnet about something and now have started chatting crap about trump supporters and  Brexiteers.  So you’re right, it’s a probably a waste of time continuing it. 

its football mate. Lighten up.  

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

How hard did Derby work to score theirs ? Oh...hang on.

Or free scoring Norwich ?

Or Swansea ...oh.... 

Or Bolton ?

Or 2nd in the Form Table QPR ?

Between those teams, 3 goals scored .

Surely you can see this ?

As I said. Thankfully Smith has admitted it hasn’t been good enough and there’s big areas for improvement at the back. Maybe you should give him a call and tell him about the facts. 

Our defensive record under Smith is slightly better than what it was under Bruce.  That’s a fact. 

I’m trying to have what I felt was a reasonable discussion about where we could improve.  But you’ve clearly got a bee in your bonnet about something and now have started chatting crap about trump supporters and  Brexiteers.  So you’re right, it’s a probably a waste of time continuing it. 

its football mate. Lighten up.  

Ha that’s just pathetic !

Its me that IS happy about things, not you. I’m very very happy.

Hikarious,.

And all you’ve done is fail to counter the facts....hence the reference to the other issues - about which I can assure you I’ve no bee or bonnet.

Our defensive record under Smith is equal to a Derby and the Baggies, promotion contenders.

Its marginally worse than Forest and Leeds. Promotion contenders.

Yet you insist we can’t defend.

Â