Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Where Smith differs from Howe and Dyche is pure and simple imo, game management. Incredible how naive we've been at times this season and we've lost countless points from it. Stuff like not putting a DM on at Arsenal when we were 2-1 up and instead we just let Guendozi run through the gaps in our midfield to win penalties and free kicks.

Burnley at VP were cynical and time wasted their way through the second half. Picked up a good point. Howe took off Billing when he was doing all he could to get sent off in the first half at VP.

It's little things that grind out the away points. Hopefully Dean will pick up that knowledge for when we start playing again but it's pretty lacking atm.

Don’t forget it’s Smith’s first season in the Premier League as a manager, he is learning and he will become a better manager 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Burnley have reaped the reward of sticking with Dyche even after he got them relegated.  It would then be odd to not give Smith the same opportunity.

I think you are correct, chopping and changing manager does no club any favours, stick with Smith and we’ll reap the benefits eventually but we need to be patient 

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct, chopping and changing manager does no club any favours, stick with Smith and we’ll reap the benefits eventually but we need to be patient 

So Newcastle should have kept Pardew?

Problem is i don't think Smith is fit at this level. Championship coach. He look so clueless at times

59 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Problem is i don't think Smith is fit at this level. Championship coach. He look so clueless at times

Well they got relegated just after sacking Pardew so they probably should have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smith has only been in the Premier League for 7 months, why do you think he looks clueless? Just give him time. Didn’t Newcastle give Pardew an 8 year contract? They clearly had faith in him, I think he’s an excellent manager, according to Wikipedia, he’s at Ado Den Haag now, I didn’t know that, thanks for educating me

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Smith has only been in the Premier League for 7 months, why do you think he looks clueless? Just give him time. Didn’t Newcastle give Pardew an 8 year contract? They clearly had faith in him, I think he’s an excellent manager, according to Wikipedia, he’s at Ado Den Haag now, I didn’t know that, thanks for educating me

Smith has failed to get the basics right any coach at minimum should achieve  it's called  organisation.We look lost at times, can't defend,can't settle on a system ,mistakes after mistakes and of late team lacking fight.

16 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Way too late for April fools day? Dyche? Not a chance. Let me think how the Sean Dyche style of football fits in with the identity that our hierarchy has put in place. It doesn’t. Not even close. That aside, it’s worth remembering that Dyche got relegated in his 1st Premier League season, Burnley stuck with him and they’ve been relatively comfortable in the Premier League ever since, due in part to the experience gained. I’d much prefer we keep Dean Smith and let him learn from the season so far, an experienced Dean Smith is way more preferable than Sean Dyche. Had the headline have been something along the lines of, “Villa eyeing up Bielsa or Nuno”, then I might have sat up and taken notice. 

Thats assuming he does of course....but I agree with your last line.

58 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Smith has failed to get the basics right any coach at minimum should achieve  it's called  organisation.We look lost at times, can't defend,can't settle on a system ,mistakes after mistakes and of late team lacking fight.

58 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

and there lies a big worry.

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

During the early weeks of the season, particularly against Spurs away, we defended well with the back 5 of Heaton in goal with Mings and Engels as the centre backs and Elmohamady  and Taylor as the full backs with Nakamba screening. Hopefully, when the season restarts, we can get back to that defensive form, the break will have done the players good, they can come back refreshed edit- I forgot it was Elmohamady that played at right back and Taylor that played at left back against Spurs, it seems like a long time ago now

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

During the early weeks of the season, particularly against Spurs away, we defended well with the back 5 of Heaton in goal with Mings and Engels as the centre backs and Elmohamady  and Taylor as the full backs with Nakamba screening. Hopefully, when the season restarts, we can get back to that defensive form, the break will have done the players good, they can come back refreshed edit- I forgot it was Elmohamady that played at right back and Taylor that played at left back against Spurs, it seems like a long time ago now

Hopefully that happens would love it,but for me he should have gone weeks before this Premier League season come to a halt.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Hopefully that happens would love it,but for me he should have gone weeks before this Premier League season come to a halt.

I think he’s the right man still, it might just be me, it usually is 

Genuinely don't know why this thread keeps getting comments, we haven't played a game in 6 weeks and Smith has done probably 1 interview in that 6 weeks. Same with the player threads criticising them when no games on 😂

7 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I like Deano, and might have a slight bias in these discussions, but I have to be honest. I don't think we've looked all that disorganised. Especially for a team that was put together over a single summer.  I think in general we've looked organised, but we've looked subpar in quality all over the pitch. We've had one defender that's looked consistent PL quality in Mings, and even him has the occational Beckenbauer moments. We've had one consistent midfielder in Jack (and arguably McGinn) and a good keeper in Heaton. Samatta has been good, but kinda too little data to consider.

When you then add the fact that Heaton got injured. McGinn who is important got injured. Mings has played with injuries. And the rest of the team by large aren't PL quality, then I'm not sure organisation is the issue here. We just don't have the quality. You can surprise with outliers performances from time to time, but over time reality will catch up. I don't think for a second a new manager will suddenly have Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, El Ghazi, Trez, Wesley, Nakamba, Luiz, Guilbert, Targett, Hause, Konsa or Engels to look like solid PL players. Just won't happen. 

We **** up our recruitment and that's clear, but very little to do with organisation. 

If you'd said our collective pressure, fitness, strength and mentality. Yeah there's stuff to improve on definitely. But even then I'd argue the main problem here is quality.  

Guilbert, Targett, Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, they might get some where with time, but there's a whole lot of crap players in there unfortunately. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

As one the elderly fans on here, I am struggling to think of a manger that got us into a mess like this (constant losing and dropping places) and yet survived to turn it around and make us great again. In my experience if a manager cant win games even if he is a  thoroughly nice guy, then normally its because he isn't  quite good enough and doesn't have a plan B. I would like to see Deans love affair over, but agree with many on here. If we do change manager we need to aim for better than Dyche. 

Yet controversial to my above post I would like to see Big Sam on a short term contract, save us and then aim higher. I guess I just want change, as IMO opinion change is a must 

Pardew was saved by the decision to void the Dutch league, Den Haag were 7 points from safety when they did this, I believe Pardew’s contract is up in June so might be available. Let’s do it.

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

As one the elderly fans on here, I am struggling to think of a manger that got us into a mess like this (constant losing and dropping places) and yet survived to turn it around and make us great again. In my experience if a manager cant win games even if he is a  thoroughly nice guy, then normally its because he isn't  quite good enough and doesn't have a plan B. I would like to see Deans love affair over, but agree with many on here. If we do change manager we need to aim for better than Dyche. 

Yet controversial to my above post I would like to see Big Sam on a short term contract, save us and then aim higher. I guess I just want change, as IMO opinion change is a must 

Except the very manager you are talking about, did this exact thing last season. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Burnley have reaped the reward of sticking with Dyche even after he got them relegated.  It would then be odd to not give Smith the same opportunity.

It would make sense to start the managerial merry go round again if it was clear Smith was the underlying problem. But it's absolutely clear to everyone from our club to outsiders, that the problem here isn't tactics or coaching. It's the quality of players. You could bring in SAF, Guardiola, Clough, Shankly and Saunders. It wouldn't make much difference when you are pitching Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Wesley, Trez, El Ghazi, Konsa, etc. up against Silva, Vardy, Salah, Rashford or any other estabished PL player.

You could have Ayrton Senna against me on a racing track. Give him a moped and I'd still hammer him with my M1. 

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It would make sense to start the managerial merry go round again if it was clear Smith was the underlying problem. But it's absolutely clear to everyone from our club to outsiders, that the problem here isn't tactics or coaching. It's the quality of players. You could bring in SAF, Guardiola, Clough, Shankly and Saunders. It wouldn't make much difference when you are pitching Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Wesley, Trez, El Ghazi, Konsa, etc. up against Silva, Vardy, Salah, Rashford or any other estabished PL player.

You could have Ayrton Senna against me on a racing track. Give him a moped and I'd still hammer him with my M1. 

I dont think that is clear to every one from our club that the problem isn't tactics or coaching. Sticking with Wes for so long, playing Jack on the wing cant defend a corner, this is tactics and coaching . This is the argument that we dont all agree on. 

But I do agree you could beat a moped in your M1, there again my mates M1 is always breaking down :)

Edited by Robtaylor200

Â