Dean Smith

Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

just seems strange, because an element like that exist at every club...but hey ho.

Just googled to confirm my memory wasn’t playing tricks and it was very widely reported - a fan was even arrested and banned from the stadium directly for insulting Bent’s mum.

Anyway I was agreeing with your original point!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Just googled to confirm my memory wasn’t playing tricks and it was very widely reported - a fan was even arrested and banned from the stadium directly for insulting Bent’s mum.

Anyway I was agreeing with your original point!

I have no doubt,in  your sincerity of what you wrote.....I was just saying what he said.

We have to both remember, there is probably oodles of things going through their head, when they move to another club fors and againsts.

When the interviewer asked the question on sky, it was probably the first thing that entered his head.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 14:39, VillaChris said:

22 goals conceded since middle of January, 9 games.

Mings coming back did help in the short term but we've slipped into bad habits again, ironically since we've ditched the back 3.

Nothing ironic about that. We ditched the back 3, I think, after the debacle at Southampton, and we were also a back 3 when Man city put 6 past us at Villa park. 

On 10/04/2020 at 20:08, Adam2003 said:

Hmm odd one. I remember at the time he was desperate to get out of the north east as fans were racially abusing his mother (some in the stadium, some in town).

Yep, i remember this. Found one of  articles:-

A football fan was banned from attending games for three years today after he admitted racially abusing the mother of Premier League striker Darren Bent.

Sunderland supporter John Davison, 26, of Chester-le-Street, shouted the word "n*****" as Shirley Bent walked past him on the way to watch her son play away at Wigan Athletic.

Mrs Bent turned round to see a group of men laughing and giving each other "high fives" in the stadium car park, Wigan Magistrates' Court was told.

They returned to a bar where they had been drinking but she was so upset she decided to confront them and pointed the men out to security officials.

Police brought Davison to her where she told him she only wanted an apology. He said sorry and added that the Sunderland and England forward was one of his favourite players and he would get a tattoo of him on his arm.

Mrs Bent changed her mind on not taking further action against him when she told her son about the incident after his team's 1-0 defeat on November 28 last year.

It is understood that shortly after the game Bent wrote on his Twitter page: "So we get beat by Wigan and to make matters worse my mum gets racially abused by a SUNDERLAND fan. I won't stand for that."

Davison handed himself into police after he returned home following the match to learn of media reports of the incident.

He went on to send a bunch of flowers and a letter of apology to Mrs Bent.

Davison, of Avondale Terrace, pleaded guilty to using threatening words or behaviour in a racially aggravated manner.

He was given a three-year ban order from attending football matches, fined £170 and ordered to pay Mrs Bent £50 compensation for any distress caused to her.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/fan-banned-for-abusing-darren-bents-mother-1886950.html

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You don’t know that, that kind of attitude got us relegated back in 2016

What I do know is that negative thoughts/talking, hypothetical questions on where we would expect to finish next season in a lower league, will result in relegation if the management and playing staff employ the same mindset. 

Edited by OxfordVillan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we get relegated what is acceptable next season for Smith to keep his job?

Minimum requirement? Top 6? Is mid table acceptable?

depends on what happens with the squad

in the expectation that there isn't an overhaul but we lose grealish (mings and McGinn im not sure about, cant see anyone meeting our £30m+ valuation of them, Newcastle with mega rich owners will not have steve bruce in charge) I think that we should still be good enough to challenge for the top 2 and do it by playing good attacking football

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well we are in the bottom 3 and the Premier League are showing little signs in wanting to void the season.

With a game in hand, and John McGinn available on the resumption of football. 10 games to go, 6 at Villa Park, where we average more points in home games than any of the other teams around us. Depending on when the football restarts, we might even have Heaton & Wesley back in contention. Players will have had a big break to shake off the clear downturn in morale when football was stopped. All positives for AVFC compared to how things were in March. The break couldn’t have come at a better time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

With a game in hand, and John McGinn available on the resumption of football. 10 games to go, 6 at Villa Park, where we average more points in home games than any of the other teams around us. Depending on when the football restarts, we might even have Heaton & Wesley back in contention. Players will have had a big break to shake off the clear downturn in morale when football was stopped. All positives for AVFC compared to how things were in March. The break couldn’t have come at a better time.

I have no doubt, we can stay up.

but for me its all about the right approach to the game.....so far i have mixed views.

I think we have the talent to stay up......not sure we have the right character to stay up, just hoping we can find something.

Smith was on the verge of losing his job if we failed to get a positive result against Chelsea according to John Percy, something that seems to have been forgotten. If we're relegated just by virtue of the fact that we're currently in the bottom three then maybe he will keep his job as us going down would hardly be his fault in that scenario, but if the season resumes at some point and we fail based on playing 38 games.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If we get relegated what is acceptable next season for Smith to keep his job?

Minimum requirement? Top 6? Is mid table acceptable?

He'd need a good start to the season, none of the 1 win in 10 nonsense that always seemed to be our starts in each of the three seasons. Would certainly be dissent from Holte end if we were mid table and well off the pace in October as there was for Steve Bruce.

It's complicated by not knowing how quick the turnaround will be and also no clue with how the transfer window will work but there's still some decent players who've done fine in the league before so it dosen't mean a huge rebuild like 2016 imo even if there would be a Grealish void.

We should be somewhere in the top 6 and hopefully keep improving as the season goes on.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Smith was on the verge of losing his job if we failed to get a positive result against Chelsea according to John Percy, something that seems to have been forgotten. If we're relegated just by virtue of the fact that we're currently in the bottom three then maybe he will keep his job as us going down would hardly be his fault in that scenario, but if the season resumes at some point and we fail based on playing 38 games.

It would be quite funny if we lost to Chelsea after all this time and they sacked him.

I think this virus has meant he's getting to the end of the season.

15 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Hoping and here to hoping that if the season continues that we change things up. Hoping that Heaton and Wesley come back. Hoping that on a season continue that I hope other teams have that mindset that were a pushover like they have all season  hoping that Smith can learn some new tricks at this time and teach our players some new tricks and plays. Hoping that we are underestimated and catch a few teams off guard early on in this ten games. 

A lot of me hoping on A lot of things at the moment, but here's to hoping they just VOID the season most of all.

23 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

What I do know is that negative thoughts/talking, hypothetical questions on where we would expect to finish next season in a lower league, will result in relegation if the management and playing staff employ the same mindset. 

Yes, I think this is true

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That game in hand is against Sheff Utd.

Don't fancy us against that lot.

At Villa Park I’d fancy us against most, only 2 or 3 that bring any sense of trepidation. Sheffield Utd have had a really good season for them, but they’re hardly a bunch of galaticos waiting to unload on us. We’ll beat them at VP. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

At Villa Park I’d fancy us against most, only 2 or 3 that bring any sense of trepidation. Sheffield Utd have had a really good season for them, but they’re hardly a bunch of galaticos waiting to unload on us. We’ll beat them at VP. 

The crowd, the history, the great club, will not compensate for poor play....its a help sure, but we have to get  things right, and we haven't lately, in recent home games.

I think you have fallen in to the trap already, you don't have to be galatico's to beat us.

southampton and Leicester proved that.

We have no where near the workrate or subsequently belief they have, not to mention the method they employ....they stay busy for the 90 odd minutes, and show aggression....we stay busy for about 10-20 minutes and don't show aggression.

They are a very good side, with an approach much like ours in the late 70's early 80's

They are not fancy, but functional, disciplined and effective...square pegs in square holes etc and everyone is clear of their job and they do it.

No, in a relegation battle, Sheff Utd, we can do with out.

We have the ability to beat them, not the character....thats my opinion fwiw.

Edited by TRO

Â