Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 16/04/2020 at 10:53, OxfordVillan said:

What I do know is that negative thoughts/talking, hypothetical questions on where we would expect to finish next season in a lower league, will result in relegation if the management and playing staff employ the same mindset. 

I think you are right, positive thoughts are key.....but it has to be backed up with substance.

The mind set is key, but it has to transfer to the body and action has to be called for, aggression had to be employed and an ability to scrap and fight for every ball.

The early tackles, the early winning headers,the winning throw ins, set the tone and puts doubt in to the opposition.

Thats what I call, positive thinking, leading to positive action.

The former, is no good without the latter.....we can talk the talk, we have to be able to walk the walk.

• Like 1

Got a hunch Frank Lampard will be our next manager if DS is here for next 18 months.

Even if John Terry has moved on by then he'll obviously put in a good word for us (and could easily recommend Lampard if our board approach him for a reference) and by that time it's a struggle to see Lampard still at Chelsea and he will have 3 years in football management by then. Similar length of time to when we appointed O'Leary after his first job at Leeds.

Feels to me the sort of manager who'd appeal to us given how he's been developing young players this season which is probably the next main improvement needed for us with our youth players.

Just a punt from me but that could be something to watch whenever football gets back to normal.

The sun and Birmingham live saying we are going to make plans to make a play for Sean dyche and replace Smith.

Maybe we do need better than Smith as Smith is very inexperienced and we need that experience now when football resumes. I think we should go for him if we are to stay a premier outfit and if the season does get voided. Chances of that story being true though are slim but it's a nice thought isn't it??

It's not that I don't like the way Smith plays, in fact I enjoy it but it's been said god knows how many times that we do not have the players to play like it. All in all if Smith is to continue down a path of playing football this way we will get crushed again, so yes I'd rather us go for Dyche. 

Edited by Dave-R

No from me I’d rather stick with Smith and hopes he adopts a slightly more defensive approach next season which is highly likely given he should of learnt masses from this season. He can and will only get better as a manager. I don’t see Dyche as a massive upgrade and we need stability at our great club. I wouldn’t be totally against a change but it would have to be a big upgrade and an elite type manager (Poch for instance) for me to change my mind. 

• Like 3

Way too late for April fools day? Dyche? Not a chance. Let me think how the Sean Dyche style of football fits in with the identity that our hierarchy has put in place. It doesn’t. Not even close. That aside, it’s worth remembering that Dyche got relegated in his 1st Premier League season, Burnley stuck with him and they’ve been relatively comfortable in the Premier League ever since, due in part to the experience gained. I’d much prefer we keep Dean Smith and let him learn from the season so far, an experienced Dean Smith is way more preferable than Sean Dyche. Had the headline have been something along the lines of, “Villa eyeing up Bielsa or Nuno”, then I might have sat up and taken notice. 

• Like 2

Hope we aim a fair bit higher and in a totally different direction than Dyche when we get a new manager. 

This season his Burnley is the team with fewest passes attempted and the least number of touches in the league, even behind Newcastle and us. And they are second from bottom in possession and key passes. They lead the league in aerials won thou. 

Granted we could use to improve on some of the things his teams are good at but our squad seem to be the exact opposite of the type of squad Dyche would work with.

Surely we are not going to sign 20 new players again to fit in with Dyche. And you can bet your life Dyche is not going to change.

Edited by sne

Dyche would take two years to get any sort of success here.

There's a limited number of players who can do what he wants across an entire season. Burnley have almost all the best ones right now.

Edens was quoted as saying last month that his aim was for us to become one of the top clubs in the world and play in all the major competitions, also went on to say that the style of play really matters, which makes me doubt we'd want Dyche, feel we'd want a manager with a reputation for playing good football, and probably one with a reputation for giving youth a chance if possible. That said I doubt we've asked Smith to take a paycut along with the rest of his staff for then to only fire him.

Would rather have Eddie Howe than Dyche personally.

Dyche plays a very rigid 4-4-2 and plenty of direct play and gambling on second balls. No doubt he'd keep us up more easily than what DS has attempted this season but ultimately the next managerial appointment we make surely must give us a chance of at least finishing regularly in top half and being in european contention.

Burnley were awful v us on NYD although they've gone on a very good run since.

Again though it's a big wide world out there. Likes of Leandro Jardim and Marcelinho (worked with suso at Valencia) have managed in champions league and won trophies and neither are in jobs currently so if that's still the case when we next need a manager they really should be serious options.

Just going for an alright domestic option would be very Lerner esque imo. I want a little more from these owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Edens was quoted as saying last month that his aim was for us to become one of the top clubs in the world and play in all the major competitions, also went on to say that the style of play really matters, which makes me doubt we'd want Dyche, feel we'd want a manager with a reputation for playing good football, and probably one with a reputation for giving youth a chance if possible. That said I doubt we've asked Smith to take a paycut along with the rest of his staff for then to only fire him.

Well I mentioned Lampard the other day. I can see him being a serious candidate as I doubt he'll still be Chelsea manager in two years time and can see John Terry recommending him to the owners even if he himself has moved on from us by then.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would rather have Eddie Howe than Dyche personally.

Dyche plays a very rigid 4-4-2 and plenty of direct play and gambling on second balls. No doubt he'd keep us up more easily than what DS has attempted this season but ultimately the next managerial appointment we make surely must give us a chance of at least finishing regularly in top half and being in european contention.

Burnley were awful v us on NYD although they've gone on a very good run since.

Again though it's a big wide world out there. Likes of Leandro Jardim and Marcelinho (worked with suso at Valencia) have managed in champions league and won trophies and neither are in jobs currently so if that's still the case when we next need a manager they really should be serious options.

Just going for an alright domestic option would be very Lerner esque imo. I want a little more from these owners.

Burnley are pretty much Stoke 2.0, not saying Dyche is Pulis level but he hasn't shown any sign of adapting 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Burnley are pretty much Stoke 2.0, not saying Dyche is Pulis level but he hasn't shown any sign of adapting 

He's done a fantastic job at Burnley but I'm not convinced at all he can adapt his style to teams higher up in the league. Yes we're not higher up the league just yet but given what Wes Edens has said recently he wants us to be in next five years.

Dyche is actually pretty similar to MON in how he plays.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's done a fantastic job at Burnley but I'm not convinced at all he can adapt his style to teams higher up in the league. Yes we're not higher up the league just yet but given what Wes Edens has said recently he wants us to be in next five years.

Dyche is actually pretty similar to MON in how he plays.

I think you’re right especially the last bit

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Just now, Nabby said:

Not saying I want Dyche but he has kept Burnley safe with a minuscule budget with Ashley Westwood as a first choice CM he deserves credit and respect for that.

Agreed, I don’t think chopping and changing manager is going to have a positive effect on us. Westwood is an underrated player, he just does the simple thing well, it’s rare these days, you notice him when he’s not there

13 hours ago, Dave-R said:

The sun and Birmingham live saying we are going to make plans to make a play for Sean dyche and replace Smith.

Maybe we do need better than Smith as Smith is very inexperienced and we need that experience now when football resumes. I think we should go for him if we are to stay a premier outfit and if the season does get voided. Chances of that story being true though are slim but it's a nice thought isn't it??

It's not that I don't like the way Smith plays, in fact I enjoy it but it's been said god knows how many times that we do not have the players to play like it. All in all if Smith is to continue down a path of playing football this way we will get crushed again, so yes I'd rather us go for Dyche. 

Where Smith differs from Howe and Dyche is pure and simple imo, game management. Incredible how naive we've been at times this season and we've lost countless points from it. Stuff like not putting a DM on at Arsenal when we were 2-1 up and instead we just let Guendozi run through the gaps in our midfield to win penalties and free kicks.

Burnley at VP were cynical and time wasted their way through the second half. Picked up a good point. Howe took off Billing when he was doing all he could to get sent off in the first half at VP.

It's little things that grind out the away points. Hopefully Dean will pick up that knowledge for when we start playing again but it's pretty lacking atm.

• Like 1

Â