Dean Smith

Demitri_C

• 2 months later...

I sometimes wonder what Dean Smith thinks when he looks at what Unai has done at Villa. Does he feel that he could have achieved similar success, given time? Or, as a Villa fan, does he recognise Unai's genius, and take delight in what he's doing, along with the rest of us? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I sometimes wonder what Dean Smith thinks when he looks at what Unai has done at Villa. Does he feel that he could have achieved similar success, given time? Or, as a Villa fan, does he recognise Unai's genius, and take delight in what he's doing, along with the rest of us? 

ill think as a fan he will be delighted and realise he took us as far has he could

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Bit of a cop out answer, but I reckon it’s a bit of both.

I think most, if not all managers, to some extent think “Yeah I could do that.” Maybe not in the same manner, but the end result in ultimately being successful. I think that self belief is kinda necessary to have, however merited it actually is. You gotta back yourself, because if you don’t believe you can why should anyone else? 

That being said, I dare say Dean Smith also recognises what Emery has achieved elsewhere and has sufficient humility to realise the difference in levels they’re operating at.

I imagine it’s a bittersweet feeling. Happy the club is doing well, but wishing it was him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Dean was a big part of the Journey and we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him and the rest of the playoff heroes.  He’s likely absolutely loving our success and also grateful that he was part of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Anyone who has ever met Dean Smith would know that he would just be 100% delighted that the club has progressed after his watch.

He would also very privately take huge pride in establishing the foundations that ultimately proved too strong for Gerard to destroy and that gave Emery such a solid base to build on. 

I suspect we may even see him at one of the European nights. 

He'll be in TV lounge

• Haha 4

On 02/09/2023 at 22:53, Mark Albrighton said:

Bit of a cop out answer, but I reckon it’s a bit of both.

I think most, if not all managers, to some extent think “Yeah I could do that.” Maybe not in the same manner, but the end result in ultimately being successful. I think that self belief is kinda necessary to have, however merited it actually is. You gotta back yourself, because if you don’t believe you can why should anyone else? 

That being said, I dare say Dean Smith also recognises what Emery has achieved elsewhere and has sufficient humility to realise the difference in levels they’re operating at.

I imagine it’s a bittersweet feeling. Happy the club is doing well, but wishing it was him.

DS weakness imo was always taking way too long to change tactics/team shape during second halves when we started to lose control of games.

That to me seems a major weakness with how British managers get developed. Southgate is really poor at it (despite having a very good bench nowadays) and his indecision cost England v Croatia and the Euros final aswell when Italy switched to a false 9 during that second half and overloaded in central midfield. Rob Page isn't good at it either and even with Scotland in amazing form I think there's a few of the Tartan Army saying Clarke sits on his hands a bit second half.

It's a very safety first style of management really to just trust the 11 who start constantly even if some of them are out on their feet near the end (O'Neill and Bruce also read that coaching book).

I can randomly recall us winning 1-0 at Southampton in the lockdown season. We were 1-0 up yet were under siege second half with Emi making two world class saves. Think our first sub that night was in the 89th minute. We got away with it that night (in a period where we were playing every 3 days) but other games around that time we didn't.

Unai's first game, 3-1 up v Man. United but of course with the history that was far from secure and yet we saw out the time very comfortably with him making sub after sub to run down the clock expertly so to me straight away that was a big difference even if we had a better bench compared to DS seasons.

Ultimately though Dean fullfed a lifelong ambition to manage us and no one can take away him getting us promoted and then keeping us up against considerable odds in the end. And 20-21 was a very decent season up to Grealish injury.

He however wasn't the right man for us post Grealish regardless of who we actually replaced him with in the end.

Hopefully he gets a championship job at some point this season.

• Like 3

That Southampton game was one of the embarrassing nights in VT history. The vitriol for not making subs was shameful at a stadium we struggled previously in a game we won

A lot of the hate came from the pro Bruce brigade then the pro Gerrard crew. Bench that night was hardly incredible

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

That Southampton game was one of the embarrassing nights in VT history. The vitriol for not making subs was shameful at a stadium we struggled previously in a game we won

A lot of the hate came from the pro Bruce brigade then the pro Gerrard crew. Bench that night was hardly incredible

There was genuinely a pro Bruce brigade on here? I mean I gave DS stick at times but as said he got us up and kept us up and I'm afraid Bruce simply couldn't do that despite having arguably a more expensive squad the previous season. Football was also night and day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

DS weakness imo was always taking way too long to change tactics/team shape during second halves when we started to lose control of games.

That to me seems a major weakness with how British managers get developed. Southgate is really poor at it (despite having a very good bench nowadays) and his indecision cost England v Croatia and the Euros final aswell when Italy switched to a false 9 during that second half and overloaded in central midfield. Rob Page isn't good at it either and even with Scotland in amazing form I think there's a few of the Tartan Army saying Clarke sits on his hands a bit second half.

It's a very safety first style of management really to just trust the 11 who start constantly even if some of them are out on their feet near the end (O'Neill and Bruce also read that coaching book).

I can randomly recall us winning 1-0 at Southampton in the lockdown season. We were 1-0 up yet were under siege second half with Emi making two world class saves. Think our first sub that night was in the 89th minute. We got away with it that night (in a period where we were playing every 3 days) but other games around that time we didn't.

Unai's first game, 3-1 up v Man. United but of course with the history that was far from secure and yet we saw out the time very comfortably with him making sub after sub to run down the clock expertly so to me straight away that was a big difference even if we had a better bench compared to DS seasons.

Ultimately though Dean fullfed a lifelong ambition to manage us and no one can take away him getting us promoted and then keeping us up against considerable odds in the end. And 20-21 was a very decent season up to Grealish injury.

He however wasn't the right man for us post Grealish regardless of who we actually replaced him with in the end.

Hopefully he gets a championship job at some point this season.

Too true. Even the progressive English managers like Potter and I would classify Howe as one of them struggle to adjust in game. Plan A can be great but Plan B is to keep on keeping on. 

I don’t know where Deano goes from here. Norwich he shouldn’t have taken and Leicester was taking over for the musicians playing on the titanic. 

Hope it won’t be true but I’m not sure he reaches the heights of promoting Villa and keeping us up. For a Villa fan, not bad to permanently have that though. 

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Think many people rose tint dean smith just because he was a villa fan. 

IMO he was bang average and was carried by grealish who was able to mask his lack of tactical depth. 

When grealish didnt play we had no plan B. 

I think the vast majority of people who like Dean Smith don’t massively care he’s a Villa supporter. It was just a nice little bonus.

• Like 3

Â