Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The question I would have then, is if a new manager can't do anything about the square peg, round hole thing until January, why would we sack DS now?

Because he might won 2 or 3 between now and then and we will be back having the same conversation in March, which by that time it would be to late.  

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't think anyone can complain if we replace Smith. He has been great for us in terms of getting us to where we are, and every Villa fan appreciates that so much.

Unless you're a complete tool bag.

But, if he's sacked, it won't be a knee-jerk reaction. It won't be like Spurs have done with Nuno and we bin him off after 10 league games. This calendar year, from Grealish being out injured, all the way to where we are now, has been poor. It has just been offset by the odd highlight. e.g. Last 2 games of last season, the Leon Bailey cameo against Everton, the win at Old Trafford. However, even this season you can counter that with the Watford 1st half performance, the Spurs performance, and the collapse at home to Wolves.

Smith's PPG record, and his overall record without Grealish, is not great and it feels like we're heading back to where we were in his first season back in the PL.

The current manager deserves to go down as a bit of a hero at Villa Park for everything he has done to get us to where we are, but that doesn't excuse him from the same criticism and scrutiny as any other PL manager where things have not been great for a while.

Big clubs make big, sometimes difficult, decisions when needed. Obviously the Spurs decision to replace their manager was an extreme, but they have a plan and are acting on it to get the club to where they feel it needs to be. I won't complain if we do the same now.

Great post, mate. This is exactly where I’m at. The morons on Twitter can debate all they like about a knee jerk reaction having lost 4 on the spin but this goes much deeper than that. Our form both this calendar year, and without Grealish is extremely poor. This has been brewing a while. 

The only thing I will add is, and I apologise for repeating myself several times across multiple threads, the club are not without blame here. I’ve been very vocal on how poor I thought our Summer transfer window was - not addressing central midfield was absolutely criminal and I believe that’s where most of our issues now lie. 

I’m all for Smith turning it around by the way, I just can’t see it. The writing looks to be on the wall and I doubt he’ll be our manager come the International break.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I think the conventional wisdom would be, to give the new manager time to settle in, get to know the squad and coaching staff, and assess the priorities for January recruitment.

2 months to do that? 

Give DS Nov and reassess. If he's not turned it around by then, then at least he's been given a fair crack, which is frankly what he deserves. There would still be 25 games left for a  new manager to turn things around. 

Should be plenty of time given the amazing managers out there. 

Just now, HKP90 said:

2 months to do that? 

Give DS Nov and reassess. If he's not turned it around by then, then at least he's been given a fair crack, which is frankly what he deserves. There would still be 25 games left for a  new manager to turn things around. 

Problem is if he has lost the dressing room it's pointless giving him more time.

And several performances would suggest several players are downing tools.

Whenever that happens at clubs there is only one outcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

2 months to do that? 

You don't feel he's been given a fair crack already?

23 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The question I would have then, is if a new manager can't do anything about the square peg, round hole thing until January, why would we sack DS now?

Maybe my analogy was slightly off but my meaning was that the square pegs (players) are fine but the round holes (formation and what were asking each player to do) is totally off at the moment, my hope is that a new man gets it right.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Problem is if he has lost the dressing room it's pointless giving him more time.

And several performances would suggest several players are downing tools.

Whenever that happens at clubs there is only one outcome.

Sorry but the old lost the dressing room chestnut just doesn't apply here, its pure speculation and shouldn't even be a factor for us looking elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Maybe my analogy was slightly off but my meaning was that the square pegs (players) are fine but the round holes (formation and what were asking each player to do) is totally off at the moment, my hope is that a new man gets it right.

Again it comes back to recruitment though. If we play the best players we have in the system that suits them (pegs holes etc), we'd be playing a 4-1-5 formation with two right wingers and two strikers

I don't necessarily blame DS for trying to play the way we've been playing simply because he's trying to find balance in an inherently unbalanced squad. Which is why I sincerely doubt that any new manager can do any better without the benefit of a transfer window. 

I and many others on here were screaming for a DM throughout the off season. It was a massive mistake to not get someone in midfield. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Five formations in 10 games shows how disjointed the thinking is 

they wheeled out a stat sunday night that konsa was our only ever present so far this season, compared to west ham who had 8! 

and konsa is obviously now suspended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they wheeled out a stat sunday night that konsa was our only ever present so far this season, compared to west ham who had 8! 

and konsa is obviously now suspended

and that's been forced upon us...which is why i think deano will be given time

• Like 3

I have a hole in my roof and the rain is coming in and soaking the loft insulation. I'm going to put a bucket in the loft to catch the rain and see if things get better over the next month or so. If they don't then I'll get the roof fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

I have a hole in my roof and the rain is coming in and soaking the loft insulation. I'm going to put a bucket in the loft to catch the rain and see if things get better over the next month or so. If they don't then I'll get the roof fixed.

So rip off the roof and build a whole new one. 

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Unless he goes between now and Friday there is surely nothing new to be said? No point having circular debates.

We know what he did three years ago, we know the points difference between X and Y positions and I think we all know we needed a DCM. I think someone mentioned injuries…. 😁

I’m out of here and back Friday unless something happens between now and then. 

Wait for me.

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I might have to if the bucket doesn't work.

You are the reason B&Q are b*****ds who won't let me get a screw for my toilet without buying a new one.  

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

You are the reason B&Q are b*****ds who won't let me get a screw for my toilet without buying a new one.  

You've spent tonnes on that bathroom, yet somethings still not right about it.

Probably time to invest in a much better one.

• Like 1

Â