Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I do wonder whether Richard O’Kelly’s departure on the eve of the season might have been related to the fact that Dean was planning to switch the formation? The two of them had been together for a long long time and I wonder whether O’Kelly, who was presumably a key figure in implementing things on the training ground,  just didn’t want to work with such a system?

Pure speculation,, but possible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TimTort said:

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I do wonder whether Richard O’Kelly’s departure on the eve of the season might have been related to the fact that Dean was planning to switch the formation? The two of them had been together for a long long time and I wonder whether O’Kelly, who was presumably a key figure in implementing things on the training ground,  just didn’t want to work with such a system?

Pure speculation,, but possible.

I doubt it was formation related. But the fact that him and JT both abruptly quit suggests that something has happened behind the scenes. Or maybe they knew it would be a struggle without Grealish. But something just feels off with Villa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

He isn’t the one to kick us on. He just isn’t. 

We aren't gonna lose Jack, sign some last minute dot com players and suddenly gonna be peak Barca. What on earth are peoples expectations at this point in the season? Seriously who do people want instead of Smith for that instant gratification? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

Who realistically would be a better option who would come?

It’s tough! The names that have been mentioned in various places I wouldn’t class as better and foreign managers coming here is a massive risk.  We saw how difficult Spurs found it and best Newcastle have come up with is Fonseca so far.

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

We aren't gonna lose Jack, sign some last minute dot com players and suddenly gonna be peak Barca. What on earth are peoples expectations at this point in the season? Seriously who do people want instead of Smith for that instant gratification? 

I think that’s the problem and I agree it’s not a reason to keep Smith because lack of options.  I think Smith is still the right person anyway, yes we are having a bad spell but I’m still on the Smith train and think he’ll kick us on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, birdman said:

Are the only options " peak Barca ", and the likes of tonight?

Is there a spectrum. of levels in between or?

Can the people trying. to make fans with concerns seem like. brainless " ficklites ", explain why most of us were happy after a 0 - 3 loss to Chelsea, if the concerns were so one dimensional and thoughtless?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Grealish leaving just proves to me that we didn’t really have an identity under Smith. It was always just get it to Grealish and take it from there.

The 5-3-2 formation highlights it. Doesn’t really matter how we play, we’ve just got to get Watkins and Ings on the pitch at the same time.

I’m probably overly cynical as still frustrated after the last few games, but I expect Smith to have his own way of playing and the players to adapt to that. Feels like the manager is just trying to keep everyone happy at the detriment of the overall team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Who realistically would be a better option who would come?

Still think Graham Potter would be a good option if Smith goes. Seems very organised and gets his teams attacking.

However, this would clearly still be a risk and I really struggle to think of other managers that would do a much better job.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are the only options " peak Barca ", and the likes of tonight?

Is there a spectrum. of levels in between or?

Don't get your point as we have hit the levels in between. Weve hit high levels against Man U away. We've hit low levels today - general performance - and last last week the collapse after playing well for 70 mins. No need for this Smith out hyperbole. Of course discuss options if you want.... but who is gonna step in and suddenly have the magic formula? 

11 minutes ago, birdman said:

Don't get your point as we have hit the levels in between. Weve hit high levels against Man U away. We've hit low levels today - general performance - and last last week the collapse after playing well for 70 mins. No need for this Smith out hyperbole. Of course discuss options if you want.... but who is gonna step in and suddenly have the magic formula? 

I'm not even at the " considering options " stage of thought yet 

However, let me propose the question like this.

Which of the following do you think upset people most tonight:

A: The result?

B: The lineup/System?

C. : The lack of proactivity, tweaking or change, for a full 50 minutes, in which it was evident to all and sundry, was only heading one way - from about 10 minutes in?

C2. Has there ever been a concern about this before?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think that’s the problem and I agree it’s not a reason to keep Smith because lack of options.  I think Smith is still the right person anyway, yes we are having a bad spell but I’m still on the Smith train and think he’ll kick us on.

The coaches are there, it’s whether they can be pried away from their existing clubs. The realty is the body of evidence isn’t there to warrant Smith being sacked, he has some challenges, but the next 5-6 games are important for his tenure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

C. : The lack of proactivity, tweaking or change, for a full 50 minutes, in which it was evident to all and sundry, was only heading one way - from about 10 minutes in?

He made some progress tonight...he addressed it at halftime instead of the 65-70 minute mark.

• Like 2

Went to the game. That was honestly just so so dreadful. I regret going. Only Martinez and Bailey left with any honour. The rest were truly shocking. No one even bothered until about the 70th minute.

I’m now sure Smith isn’t the one. I didn’t ever want to be in this camp as we’ve done nothing but progress under him but the players now look totally disinterested and we’ve lost two key coaches. Something is up I think and I think we are in the “lost the changing room” phase.

Bailey really looks an absolute class above. He must wonder wtf he has joined. Incidentally any “we will be fine now Bailey is fit” chat is misplaced. Why would that be the only plan? What if he’s injured?

I think he’s gone as far as he can. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I doubt it was formation related. But the fact that him and JT both abruptly quit suggests that something has happened behind the scenes. Or maybe they knew it would be a struggle without Grealish. But something just feels off with Villa.

This. It feels similar to the dark ages again. 

Â