Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

What's the difference between Matty cash not getting close enough to stop the cross at west ham allowing Bowen to score and matty cash not stopping the cross to allow dendoncker a pretty simple tap in from 6 yards?

The only difference is one scores and the other doesn't.

I suppose the questions here will be ignored too.

Or when Grealish tries to chest the ball down on the edge of the area to give them a free shot at goal. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I will actually disagree with TRO here.

We rode our luck this game. Emi MOTM says it all. But I'll take it.

Without disagreeing with the fact they had the better chances I would also just say that that’s why we went out and dropped £20m on a keeper many said we didn’t need... so from that side not luck so much as judgment! But I don’t disagree with your overall point that we could have lost as easily as won.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And there we have it.

No wonder some don't fancy Smith when they see not being as good as Spurs and Chelsea as a reason to criticise him. Farcical.

What he's done is so far beyond what an average performance is from where we were. It's beyond a really good performance!

I’d say he’s achieved more than any manager in my time watching games (since 1990). He’s by no means perfect but no-one else has driven this level of improvement. Obviously I missed GT v1 by a few months.

Edit: any Villa manager I mean obviously, not any manager.

Edited by Adam2003

We played far better against West Ham and lost - Fortunately Wolves didn’t have their shooting boots on. Swings and roundabouts  

Smith has done an outstanding job since he’s been here - we’ve recruited well and are maybe three players away from having a squad that can challenge towards the top end of the table

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So now you're gonna hold that against him. Just like last year its more the daft expectations that cause people to turn on Dean. 

No one is turning on him, I would hardly chant his name out if I was at VP. Just still unsure if he is the man to take us forward in the long run. You are showing big love for Smith, which is fine, but don't get touchy like he's the Mrs, it's all about opinions chap, right or wrong.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one is turning on him, I would hardly chant his name out if I was at VP. Just still unsure if he is the man to take us forward in the long run. You are showing big love for Smith, which is fine, but don't get touchy like he's the Mrs, it's all about opinions chap, right or wrong.

What would convince you?

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Plenty turned on him last year and every no and again you can see the same people desperate to criticise whenever an opportunity comes up. 

You can question it if you want. Just seems mad to me when you compare the position we were in 2 years ago. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Fair enough but I find that baffling. He took over a mid-table championship team a couple of years ago and now if we win our game in hand we’d be 5th in the PL. In your Mrs comparison it would be like if I married an elephant with no IQ but over two years got as fit as a Hollywood superstar and gained a PHD in neuroscience but then you told me I could do much better. 

• Like 2

There's a lot of talk about 'errors' but are errors actually down to the manager?  Take the Southampton game for example, I can almost guarantee Dean spent the days preparing for the game saying 'don't give away free kicks in the centre of goal about 20 yards out' knowing Ward-Prowse pings them in the top corner regularly.  Luiz then makes a stupid foul, which he has cut out from his game largely since lockdown.  Then Cash decides to panic and handball it in the same position, both end up going in the back of the net.  Gameplan completely undone before halftime.  Fair enough if Dean gets selection, tactics or subs wrong on a regular basis he should get criticism but I'd say he has got it about 90% right this season so far.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I make no bones, I am a results first ,man.....yes, I make no apologies.

but what you say is " if my auntie had balls, she would be my Uncle"

Wolves wanted to score.....and without our involvement, they would have....credit has to be given for a gutsy and spirited display, despite the game missing the finer arts.....its not our job, to busy ourselves as to why Wolves never scored....we could have had 2 penalties, if we come from Manchester.

The game is about awarding 3 points for a reason.....you don't get anything for artistic display......we would have lost that game last season.

The fact that you thought, we played better in the 2 games you mentioned, is your call, but extrapolated out, it would result in relegation.

I can't tell other folk, how to evaluate a game.....but winning comes first for me and i was delighted with the mentality.....still probing in extra time, despite many of us, inc me....being happy with a point.

contrary, to your view, i saw stupid defensive errors in the Brighton and West Ham games, that would feature highly in my appraisal......I didn't see such glaring errors yesterday.....hence my view.

UTV

So basically win we played well, lose we played bad. Got it mate 👍🏼

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We didn't do any glaring defensive mistakes but there were a fair amount of luck in winning that.

Wolves could have easily be more clinical with their chances on another day.

I thought we played okay overall but far from a dominant performance.

Liverpool could have been more clinical at Fulham too....but they wasn't, thats football.

We can't keep beating ourselves up, on the basis of what other teams should do....we can only try to stop teams and we did, thats what needs commending....to keep going like we did, needs extra applause.

If we start clinging to luck, we will drive ourselves nuts.....it applies to all teams....crikey Liverpool was lucky tonight, getting away with that penalty that should have been on cavelero......our 2 or 3 would have been given on the basis of Liverpools pen.

I will be disappointed if we are not on at least 22 points come the end of the game against WBA at the weekend. I reckon we have it in us to get a couple of good results, but I also think we can make things difficult for ourselves. Two really good games coming up that can help shape the remainder of our season. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So basically win we played well, lose we played bad. Got it mate 👍🏼

Thats not the case and you know it....but if thats the best you can do....don't try to put your thumb up as if to say, you understand a stance that i am not alluding too. you show a complete misunderstanding of what i am saying and trying to claim you do.

However, winning football, is what I aspire too.....its just that I see qualities in winning that you don't......if we grind one out, you just don't get it do you....we can't always play champagne football, but thats all that pleases you, i guess.

Your line is not what I said, but if thats the narrative you want to follow, to satify your own thoughts, fill your boots.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Thats not the case and you know it....but if thats the best you can do....don't try to put your thumb up as if to say, you understand a stance that i am not alluding too. you show a complete misunderstanding of what i am saying and trying to claim you do.

However, winning football, is what I aspire too.....its just that I see qualities in winning that you don't......if we grind one out, you just don't get it do you....we can't always play champagne football, but thats all that pleases you, i guess.

Your line is not what I said, but if thats the narrative you want to follow, to satify your own thoughts, fill your boots.

Tro if wolves took those chances which they should have you would have blamed our defence and you know it. Stop getting all defensive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

When have I ever said that? I thought we played excellent against West Ham and well against Brighton but got punished by defensive lapses.  I though we played ok against Wolves but didn’t get punished by defensive lapses. 

You obviously saw the games differently. That’s fine. Don’t have to get all emotional about it. 

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So now you're gonna hold that against him. Just like last year its more the daft expectations that cause people to turn on Dean. 

So what your saying is?.....that every game we play there is no room for improvement to talk about on a forum for Aston Villa fans?

Whats daft about driving for a bit more and talking about, what we could do better?

Just now, TRO said:

So what your saying is?.....that every game we play there is no room for improvement to talk about on a forum for Aston Villa fans?

Whats daft about driving for a bit more and talking about, what we could do better?

There's a difference between having a discussion about what could be improved and the same posters who never wanted him,  or wanted him sacked last year, using every loss as a reason to criticise the man and nitpick every little thing. 

• Like 4

Â