Parking Charge Notice

rjw63

Need a bit of advice from anyone that's received one of these.

The other half got snapped after parking at a KFC for allegedly longer than the 1 hour free period. £100 fine of £60 if you pay quicker.

I've spent the last two hours checking out "Civil Enforcement Ltd" (proper bunch of cowboys) and all relevant forums. Consensus is either;

1. Ignore all correspondence completely as it's not a penalty charge notice, or

2. Write to them, "without prejudice" and inform of your intention not to pay, and see what transpires.

What say ye?

I've had this in the past and elected to ignore them. They sent 2-3 more letters that were increasingly threatening. Decided to ignore them. Nothing came of it and this was a few years ago. 

Clawing back some of the research I did at the time, my understanding is that private companies who do this cannot actually issue fines, instead they amount to invoices, only councils have the legal powers to issue fines (these are penalty charge notices) and pursue further legal action. So whilst I could be wrong and I'm not a lawyer, I'd say do **** all nothing will come of it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Ignore them.

Alternatively, go to the KFC and complain. My mom got stung for one at Sainsbury's in Acocks Green. Went in and complained and they put it in the bin in front of her and told her not to worry about it.

But yeah, they're not enforceable. 
I think technically they could take you to court and win. I remember a story about a woman who had that done to her. But she had racked up dozens and dozens of tickets running to thousands of pounds so it was worth it. They'll never pursue you for one ticket.

Do what needs to be done.

1. Go to somewhere which serves copious amounts of meat. 

2. Eat copious amounts of meat

3. When you're in desperate need of a dump, don't do it. 

4. Wait another 4 days and continue to eat copious amounts of meat products. 

5. On day 5, have a dump.  I filled up 2 Tesco bag for life's.  

6. Let them fester somewhere for 2 days i.e. living room corner or kitchen floor.

7. Take festering dump bags to the KFC in the boot of your car.

8. Wait until the KFC hits peak time.

9. At peak time, run into KFC screaming incoherently. 

10.  Throw one bag at the tills and the KFC staff working around there.  I found that loosening the tops of the knotted bags and throwing the bags like a Disc thrower at the Olympics helped "Spray" accentuate the premises better than a straight throw. 

11.  Empty half of bag 2 into the hot plate area where the ready-to-eat chicken is kept and the other half throw (like a disc) into the fridge room.  

12.  You'll probably have some of the festered shit sprayed upon your person, take your soiled clothes off and throw them into one of the fryers.

13. A lot of people will be vomiting at this point, yourself included.  When you feel the spew coming, run STRAIGHT TOWARDS the acting manager.  Pull their KFC issued tie towards you and throw a line of spew into their faces.  

14.  Declare you think the KFC parking policy is a sham, and you expect a "Free KFC for life" card to be sent to your home address.  

15.  Give the manager your address.

16. Leave quietly, so as not to upset or interrupt the diners.  

17. Get home and leave a complaint to @KFC_UK on twitter.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to give advice as you don't know if the company will bother to take the matter to court. 

Of course would be completely wrong to lie as that can be perverting the course of justice.

If you Google "KFC parking charge" you will find many news articles about excuses that people have used to get these charges cancelled. For instance there are several articles blaming a long queue and/or a delay getting food which lead to KFC cancelling the charge. 

Maybe one of these applies? 

We get this crap all the time. They are forever trying to extort money from taxi drivers for staying over the allowed period. Its especially amusing at supermarkets where we have freephones, drivers can do upwards of 10 jobs a day at the same location but the ANPR camera conveniently only picks up the first entry and the last exit and claims they've been there all day.

Its a huge Con

Mrs H got one and I went down the ignore route , whilst ignoring that one she got a second one at the same place ( she’d oarked there 2 days in a row )

Itwas amusing watching the “fine” go up and up then down then a we will send Baliffs ( not without a court win you won’t ) then a final offer. Followed by another final offer

think it was 9 letters for each fine before they gave up

but , that said , check that money forum as I thought there was a law change a couple of years back and you had to be a bit more careful depending on how’s the cowboy company had worded the letter they sent you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to give advice as you don't know if the company will bother to take the matter to court. 

Of course would be completely wrong to lie as that can be perverting the course of justice.

If you Google "KFC parking charge" you will find many news articles about excuses that people have used to get these charges cancelled. For instance there are several articles blaming a long queue and/or a delay getting food which lead to KFC cancelling the charge. 

Maybe one of these applies? 

Nah, she wasn't even going to KFC, taking her mother to the opticians next door :)

It's a free car park for an hour, so you go over and they expect one hundred pounds? They can **** off. There was even a blue badge on display but ANPR didn't even show the car when parked, just entering and leaving.

58 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but , that said , check that money forum as I thought there was a law change a couple of years back and you had to be a bit more careful depending on how’s the cowboy company had worded the letter they sent you 

Mr H is right, I think.  I'm 99% certain there was a law change a couple of years ago and it's not a case of just ignoring them now.

Whilst they can't give you a Penalty Charge Notice, effectively it's breach of contract.  So long as there are big enough signs - particularly at the entrance - you're deemed to be entering into a contract with them.  That being that you won't stay for more than an hour.

£60 seems excessive, so if they DID take you to court you could argue that and offer to pay less.

TL;DR  Do a bit more research, and discount anecdotes that are more than a couple of years old.

44 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Nah, she wasn't even going to KFC, taking her mother to the opticians next door :)

Read between the lines.

It's illegal to lie but there are easy to find excuses that have succeeded in the past. ?

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats

Â