Parking Charge Notice

rjw63

I got one from asda afew years ago as they accused me of parking there for 3-4 hours and I was onky 2 and i came on this forum as I was unsure what to do.

@bickster told me to ignore them and they send letter after letter and the fines go up and down.so I did and they gave up. I think someone told me if you respond to them your taking repsonsbility for the fine. So just ignore and they will give up eventually.

Sorry if I'm being dumb here but where do they obtain a driver's home address from ? DVLA ? Isn't that a bit dodgy if so, sharing confidential information from looking up a number plate to a private business ?

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Sorry if I'm being dumb here but where do they obtain a driver's home address from ? DVLA ? Isn't that a bit dodgy if so, sharing confidential information from looking up a number plate to a private business ?

in the case of Parking companies they have to be registered members of the BPA  .. though I believe anyone can pay the DVLA to get the owner details ,if they have reasonable cause 

Edited by tonyh29

Another vote for ignore it.  The missus got a similar one recently, and just ignored it.  After three or four letters, they just gave up.  I think something like 1% of cases end up with them taking you to court.

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

Another vote for ignore it.  The missus got a similar one recently, and just ignored it.  After three or four letters, they just gave up.  I think something like 1% of cases end up with them taking you to court.

Hopeful Jim Carrey GIF

paul ryan oops GIF

20 hours ago, Risso said:

Even if it went to court they have to argue the high and quite frankly ridiculous fees. The fine shoukd be no more than a tenner for something like that.

23 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

No courts in the UK have gavels. It's one of those TV myths like horned viking helmets and attractive flight attendants. 

Just sayin'

The Inner London Crown Court does:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2014/12/there-is-an-english-court-where-gavels-are-actually-used/

"The campaign against the use of the American gavel in images relating to the English legal system has been dealt a blow after it emerged that there is an English court where gavels are actually used.

In a departure from protocol, clerks at Inner London Crown Court use a gavel to signal the arrival of the judge into the courtroom. At other courts, judges usually bang on the door to announce their entry."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if it went to court they have to argue the high and quite frankly ridiculous fees. The fine shoukd be no more than a tenner for something like that.

Yeah, if they don't have the authority to issue fines, surely they can only sue for damages, which means they'd have to show some sort of loss they were subject to because you'd left your car there.

They'd also have to prove it was you driving the car, which unless there is pretty good CCTV footage, might be really difficult. Even if they're arguing a breach of "contract", they have to be able to prove you were driving and you breached the contract, not just that you're the registered owner of the car.

I'm a Police Officer in South Australia and we have a law that compells people to tell us who was driving their vehicle at a certain time, but if it's several weeks later, and they say "I lend my vehicle out to a lot of people, no idea who had it that day", there really isn't a lot we can do. I doubt they can enforce this effectively.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'm a Police Officer in South Australia and we have a law that compells people to tell us who was driving their vehicle at a certain time, but if it's several weeks later, and they say "I lend my vehicle out to a lot of people, no idea who had it that day", there really isn't a lot we can do. I doubt they can enforce this effectively.

yeah, but you'd remember the fecker that drove a 20,000 mile round trip to Birmingham for a KFC

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yeah, if they don't have the authority to issue fines, surely they can only sue for damages, which means they'd have to show some sort of loss they were subject to because you'd left your car there.

In nearly every case of these Private Parking fines. Firstly it isn't a fine, it's effectively an invoice made to look like an offical parking fine

Secondly, these companies cannot have a material loss iirc because they don't own the land

• Like 2

Â