John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 18/12/2023 at 20:21, Kiwivillan said:

Only Douglas Luiz then daylight

You can't argue with that opinion, tbf, all the more so because he's one of ours. What I would say is McGinn has that swashbuckling style which can't help but absorb a lot of the attention. Hence, my "force of nature" description. Luiz, has  brilliant has he's been, he's less noticeable on the eye. He is far more subtle and neater than McGinn, he has that ability to make the difficult things look easy and sometimes it's only on reflection that you realise just how good of a game he has had. 

I've never heard any ex player/ pundit not admire the qualities McGinn has . For all Steve Bruce's shortcomings as a manager, I think his capture of SJM, and the bargain price we paid for him,  will be remembered has one of the best signings we have made in a very long time, up there with McGrath, especially when you take into account the good few years he still has ahead of him. 

Also the fact that every manager since SB has also understood the importance of what he brings to a team. I've always admired his attitude towards the importance and responsibility of the gift he has been blessed with . That humbleness he portrays is not lost on us supporters, and for that we love him. Hopefully, he spends all his best days with us, and then he can see out the twilight years at his beloved Celtic. Until that day,  let's appreciate the journey he is leading us on and like I said, top 4 at the end of the season, player of the year!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Got done very easily for the goal. A rare blip from him this season.

Carbon copy of the Brighton goal when Fati scored. I agree about how we need him further forward. He doesnt have a chance to maraude in the middle of the pitch. 

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think both him and Dougie suffered tonight not having cover behind. 

yeah, McGinn doesnt look comfortable central and deep, and because of lack of cover Luiz couldnt get forward as much, stifled both of them tbh.

• Like 1

Just got caught by the run across him before the goal, recognised too late and tried to make up for it with the mistimed slide. 

Probably just a case of being rusty with the position since moving wider this year. 

On a side note, his touch is absolutely immaculate now. Some of the control in tight spaces from long/fast-paced passes was sublime. 

On 18/12/2023 at 19:45, sheepyvillian said:

Watching him on Sunday when it all kicked off, brought to mind that famous Kipling poem, "if you can keep your head, when all about you are losing theirs,' that is exactly what a captain should do, he was raging at Martinez and Kamara for their irresponsibility, and rightly so. If this man does  not get player of the season, then it's a fix. Name me a player right now in the Premier League who has been more consistent than SJM?. He's a total force of nature and it's an absolute privilege to have him as the leader of potentially one of the best Aston Villa teams in a very long time.

I am with you, on this sheepy SJM is a special character....His character needs to be replicated in another role further back......John is a further forward player for me, and his style is suited to the final third, where he can disrupt defences.

I would like to see us bring in a CDM to cover for Kamara, with the characteristics of SJM......John is a warrior, we need another one like him, to give the combative players a breather, during suspensions, injuries.

Whenever Kamara is out, SJM is deployed to cover, for him, but he is needed further upfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am with you, on this sheepy SJM is a special character....His character needs to be replicated in another role further back......John is a further forward player for me, and his style is suited to the final third, where he can disrupt defences.

I would like to see us bring in a CDM to cover for Kamara, with the characteristics of SJM......John is a warrior, we need another one like him, to give the combative players a breather, during suspensions, injuries.

Whenever Kamara is out, SJM is deployed to cover, for him, but he is needed further upfield.

For me if Dendoncker isn't able to fulfill that role then we should try and offload him in January. Else what's he there for. A few minutes against arsenal etc is not value for money for whst he is being paid. I 100% agree we need a quality backup to Kamara. We have a lot of midfield players but most of them are no. 8s not no.6s

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Â