John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Big workout for the man again last night. Played the full game against Spain and was made captain after Robertson went off with a shoulder injury. 

Going to need a rest soon. In the last 12 days he's played 4 full games.

Since the season started mid August he's played nearly 14 matches worth of minutes.

Equivalent to a full 90 minutes roughly every 4.4 days. It's actually worse as the stats I'm using don't include injury time. 

Going to be dropping off very soon unless we get chance to give him a break.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Big workout for the man again last night. Played the full game against Spain and was made captain after Robertson went off with a shoulder injury. 

Going to need a rest soon. In the last 12 days he's played 4 full games.

Since the season started mid August he's played nearly 14 matches worth of minutes.

Equivalent to a full 90 minutes roughly every 4.4 days. It's actually worse as the stats I'm using don't include injury time. 

Going to be dropping off very soon unless we get chance to give him a break.

Two seasons ago (or was it three?), he and Doug faded late in the season from fatigue...and they didn't have Europe to worry about then.

11 minutes ago, TomC said:

Two seasons ago (or was it three?), he and Doug faded late in the season from fatigue...and they didn't have Europe to worry about then.

Was that when we had nothing to play for though? That can play a part.

Just chatting at home about Mcginn and asked a hypothetical question would you swap Grealish for Mcginn. It's interesting how thats changed over the last year or so. Mcginn far more valuable to us than Grealish would be now. I didn't appreciate they were the same age. I thought Grealish was younger for some reason. 

9 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Just chatting at home about Mcginn and asked a hypothetical question would you swap Grealish for Mcginn. It's interesting how thats changed over the last year or so. Mcginn far more valuable to us than Grealish would be now. I didn't appreciate they were the same age. I thought Grealish was younger for some reason. 

If we're talking purely about player ability, of course you'd swap them.

36 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. There was a time before he left where Jack Grealish was arguably the best player in the Premier League. Right up there with Salah, De Bruyne etc. He was genuinely world class.

McGinn is good, very good in fact, but there are levels and Grealish is several levels above even McGinn.

I think Jack Grealish is the most talented player to ever wear the shirt. 

• Like 3

No doubt Jack is by far the better player. Saw a video of his Villa highlights the other day and brought back a lot of memories. He hasn’t been that player for several years now. I do wonder whether that just springs back if he moved to another club and was played with more freedom. My guess is probably not. Most players career trajectories go up and then down, can’t think of many rollercoasters although I’m sure it does happen. 

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

out of curiosity, who do you think has been shifted out for not being on board? (as per McGinns comments above).

Can’t be sure, but if we’re talking about “unfavoured” players or those not up to standard, I would suggest the likes of Dendoncker and Chambers… don’t think they have much of a future at the club or will get too much of a look in…

Tielemans must step up and not complain if he wants to be involved too…

Lenglet is not getting much game time but it’s a loan and we should see more of him later… but several players disappointed vs Warsaw for example…

then you have the players we’ve already let go, whether on loan or permanently. Players like Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho… just not up to standard or reliable enough. 

A different case for the youngsters (not ready or need more development) with buyback clauses included.

Glad we shifted the likes of Davis and Wesley who had no future here… maybe Young’s demands were too great to keep him onboard. Only Hause we failed to move on really…

Anyway, I like it. We have to stop “carrying players” as we have done for so many years… Unai needs the best possible tools at his disposal to bring us success. About time we got serious!! Raising the standards has been sorely needed for yonks… it’s also remarkable how Unai has raised the level and form of players such as John too… best to keep everyone on their toes and have genuine competition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

out of curiosity, who do you think has been shifted out for not being on board? (as per McGinns comments above).

Coutinho and Young are the 2 senior players that have left that played much last season under Unai

Unless Jed Steer wasnt able to play the Olsen role 😝

• Like 1

12 months ago heds totally lost his way. 

Gerrard had totally indulged him when he was in mediocre form and then after he left he was actually benched for three successive league games, Brentford, Newcastle and Man. United.

That would be unthinkable now. All credit to SJM as given his form a year ago I gave him little chance of impressing Emery when you add him not being as possession secure as Luiz and Kamara usually are.

However he's adapted very well to what Emery wants and he was superb in the run in last season and has been fine this season and starting to look a serious scoring threat.

• Like 1

Â