John McGinn

PompeyVillan

19 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I mean we have done plenty. Won promotion when we were in danger of getting stuck in The Championship long term. Survived against the odds after a massive (needed) rebuild after half our squad retired or went back to their parent clubs.

Not done anything if you're talking about winning cups/qualifying for Europe etc, but relative to the situations we've been in, we've achieved plenty IMO.

Getting prompted shouldn't be classed as a Villa achievement. In the post play off victory interview Deano and Purslow did, they said the same. Scrapping to stay up the same, we were absolutely woeful that season.

Legends are for the long haul. In one hundred years, people will remember the 1982 lot, some of the 1994 / 1996 players too. Of the current cohort, who do your grandkids kids remember? Maybe Emi for being at Villa when he won the biggest competition in the world as the best player in his position in the world? Tyrone for his off field wonderful-ness, (not a word but I'm taking it anyway).

It's pretty far fetched to think they'll be talking about John McGinn.

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Getting prompted shouldn't be classed as a Villa achievement. In the post play off victory interview Deano and Purslow did, they said the same. Scrapping to stay up the same, we were absolutely woeful that season.

Legends are for the long haul. In one hundred years, people will remember the 1982 lot, some of the 1994 / 1996 players too. Of the current cohort, who do your grandkids kids remember? Maybe Emi for being at Villa when he won the biggest competition in the world as the best player in his position in the world? Tyrone for his off field wonderful-ness, (not a word but I'm taking it anyway).

It's pretty far fetched to think they'll be talking about John McGinn.

Well yeah we were woeful but you're missing the point. When we went up half our squad was dismantled because of retirees/returning loanees. So in the scheme of our situation at that time, it was an achievement. And Mings/McGinn weren't responsible for us being in The Championship, so the promotion and survival were certainly achievements for them.

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well yeah we were woeful but you're missing the point. When we went up half our squad was dismantled because of retirees/returning loanees. So in the scheme of our situation at that time, it was an achievement. And Mings/McGinn weren't responsible for us being in The Championship, so the promotion and survival were certainly achievements for them.

I completely agree, they were achievements. But this conversation isn't about what's an achievement or what isn't, I think. It's about is John McGinn a Villa legend, and a playoff win / last day survival in which he played a team role, doesn't constitute legend status. (It would for Blues). 

Look at the spine of this team, Martinez,  Mings , McGinn and Ollie. Its a top 4 combination and McGinn is a central part of it, his improvement since Emery came is spectacular. Hes played in 3 different roles and performed well in all of them, Scotland are very lucky to have him and so are we..a

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Watkins certainly isn't top four standard. Mings and Martinez yes. McGinn? Not sure either, as outstanding as he's been.

McGinn would be a good squad player, regardless (if we do sign players for his position(s).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I completely agree, they were achievements. But this conversation isn't about what's an achievement or what isn't, I think. It's about is John McGinn a Villa legend, and a playoff win / last day survival in which he played a team role, doesn't constitute legend status. (It would for Blues). 

Don’t really buy this line of thinking. Charlie Aitken was a pretty poor player who played most of his Villa career in the lower divisions but if you’re arguing he isn’t subjectively a Villa legend I am not sure many would agree.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He got battered by Fabinho today. It was farcical.

The ref allowed Liverpool to foul us ,unpunished, when their attacks broke down time and time again. It changes the whole game as they can high press our back 4 and not get punished on the transition.

7 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Ollie is not the main striker in a top four team. Well, not a top four team of this league anyway.

The rest? Absolutely.

I can think of 2 strikers i would have rather than Ollie, one plays for City and the other is a cheat. 

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly don’t see how people fail to see this

Because people spend so much time watching us that they don't always see everyone else, there's a perception of what everyone else is doing rather than the reality

There are 2 top top strikers in the PL, Haaland and Kane, the rest get by mostly with goalscoring wide men and players on around 15 goals a season

McGinn is the same, not top 4 quality, yet utd start games with mctominay and Fred

Edited by villa4europe

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He got battered by Fabinho today. It was farcical.

It was a clear plan to stop him.......He is clearly a threat to teams like them....He has come on leaps and bounds under UE

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Don’t really buy this line of thinking. Charlie Aitken was a pretty poor player who played most of his Villa career in the lower divisions but if you’re arguing he isn’t subjectively a Villa legend I am not sure many would agree.

I would argue the squad of '82 are all Villa legends. There are standouts of course, but they cumulatively worked to achieve our finest moment. 

Which is my point really. If we were a nothing club like Blues, or one with very little historical accomplishment like Newcastle, then I would say what McGinn has achieved would make him a legend. But we're Villa. Our benchmark is higher. The metrics we measure the term legend against should be higher than at other clubs.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago Ming's mentioned in one of his interviews how Emery had spoke to them about the importance of being serious about winning. To me this one of the most important things that has changed about McGinn, he has a determination about him that I don't think we've seen before 

Â