John McGinn

PompeyVillan

22 hours ago, pete101 said:

The word legend is probably thrown around a bit loosely but is mcginn a villa legend at this point?

Huge part of a team that got us promoted

Part of team that stayed up on last day of season

And is possibly about to Captain the side to European football 

Hes not a legend because we haven't done anything. None of the current lot are Villa legends.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:
23 hours ago, pete101 said:

The word legend is probably thrown around a bit loosely but is mcginn a villa legend at this point?

Huge part of a team that got us promoted

Part of team that stayed up on last day of season

And is possibly about to Captain the side to European football 

No, not yet - Mings is quite a bit ahead of him in this respect because of the consistency of his performances. If McGinn keeps up this level, though, then who knows?

We all have different views of what Legends are.  I generally have a second level for a large pot of players which is a term used often which is “Great Servant of the club” which I currently put those two in.  I know Servant isn’t a word that sounds like it’s putting them on a pedestal but to me it means much more than the average player for the club and is appreciation for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Was he already on a yellow at that point? One of the most boneheaded players in the league, just went in two footed for no reason. He's going to injure someone badly one of these days.

I think that was the tackle that finally got Romero the yellow. He should have already been on one for kicking through the back of Watkins leg earlier for the free kick from which Dougie scored.

Edited by NeilS
for clarity after page break

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We all have different views of what Legends are.  I generally have a second level for a large pot of players which is a term used often which is “Great Servant of the club” which I currently put those two in.  I know Servant isn’t a word that sounds like it’s putting them on a pedestal but to me it means much more than the average player for the club and is appreciation for that.

I think the FM tiers of 'icon, hero, legend' is a good way of thinking about it tbf. 

• Like 1

He's been very good in the last few months. I'm not going to forget that he was poor for a couple of years prior, but he's looking the part now.
Needs do it for a long period to be considered anything like a legend. He's nowhere near the level of Ian Taylor, Cowans, Barry etc. Not for me. Not yet.

Emery has got some tune out of him. 

I think if McGinn can win something with us then he’ll be entering into the realms of legend hood, same for Mings too.

The fairytale journey from championship to Europe and our first trophy (even the league cup) will be huge. SJM would/will represent the battling journey for all Villa fans and be worshiped for it. I’d love to see it happen, and I’d love for McGinn to be at the forefront of it. It will mean so much for us all, and he will stand where old Jack could have done, if he hadn’t sold out for plastic success. 

Under Smith and then even more Gerrard, McGinn’s form had dropped. 
I thought his time was up here and he’d move on in the summer. But wow, what a turnaround under Emery, he’s shown why he’s a great pro, taking on everything that Emery says to him. His control of the midfield has been great and he’s taken on numerous different roles with aplomb. Well done McGinn it’s great to see.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 11:49, Don_Simon said:

Hes not a legend because we haven't done anything. None of the current lot are Villa legends.

I mean we have done plenty. Won promotion when we were in danger of getting stuck in The Championship long term. Survived against the odds after a massive (needed) rebuild after half our squad retired or went back to their parent clubs.

Not done anything if you're talking about winning cups/qualifying for Europe etc, but relative to the situations we've been in, we've achieved plenty IMO.

• Like 3

I completely disagree that you need to win something to be a legend.

It's far more about how you play, how long you stay and how you conduct yourself 

Even if you feel you do need to win something he helped us lift a trophy won at the most important game in our modern history. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 13:53, mikeyp102 said:

Under Smith and then even more Gerrard, McGinn’s form had dropped. 
I thought his time was up here and he’d move on in the summer. But wow, what a turnaround under Emery, he’s shown why he’s a great pro, taking on everything that Emery says to him. His control of the midfield has been great and he’s taken on numerous different roles with aplomb. Well done McGinn it’s great to see.

Agreed. Got to be honest, although I've loved his application for us, I always thought that was his limit: running around loads like a mad man. I'd never have thought his level would raise this much with good coaching, I'm having some delicious humble pie seeing how much he's taken to Emery's way of playing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I completely disagree that you need to win something to be a legend.

It's far more about how you play, how long you stay and how you conduct yourself 

Even if you feel you do need to win something he helped us lift a trophy won at the most important game in our modern history. 

Agree re:winning something. I think the four key ingredients are: talent, work ethic, longevity and loyalty. We've had a few threes over the years. 

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wouldn't say he's a legend yet but like Mings he's on the rung just below.

Really want Mings, McGinn, Douglas Luiz and Konsa to get to 200 league apps for us.

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wouldn't say he's a legend yet but like Mings he's on the rung just below.

If he carries on as he has done and gives us another 5 years/the rest of his prime, then I think he'll be up there. He's been a key player in us going up, staying up, and now re-establishing ourselves in the top half. He's done a lot for us. 

On 14/05/2023 at 13:55, sidcow said:

4 pages of love for McGinn on here and totally deserved. 

I genuinely feel like yesterday may have been one of the most complete midfield performances I've ever seen from a Villa player. He absolutely dominated Spurs, was like watching a man play against boys. 

I say a complete midfield performance even though he didn't score or assist, that's how supreme he was. 

Apologies to the Hibbies on here, I had a wobble on Meatball but your boy is every inch a top Premier League player. 

It's brilliant that we've come so far and still have 2 players from that Play Off Final part of it, in fact would easily be 3 if we'd kept hold of Jack. 

Thanks, but no apologies needed, Sidcow, certainly not from reading your comments.  Just delighted that Villa, through Emery, have finally found a way of playing SJM that allows him to come close to showing the form he had at Hibs.  For a while there, as a regular reader of this forum, I just didn’t think you understood (as the song doesn’t quite go!).

I am also aware that some of his critics, while much less vocal in recent months during which SJM has been outstanding, will pipe up again just as soon as he can be interpreted as having had an off day (in fact this has already happened, after the Man U and Wolves games, though that interpretation has been disputed on this forum).  

I get it that SJM isn’t necessarily the kind of player that will appeal to every fan.  Some might even think that anyone who cost just £2.5m can’t possibly be good enough for a side with top 6 aspirations.   Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I am sure all Villa fans would want these opinions to be expressed in a respectful manner.  

• Like 1

Inconsistent under Smith...

Woeful under Gerrard...

Good under Emery...

I'm happy he's playing well, but for awhile there under previous managers he's been in the firing line.

A great manager like Emery will get extra from his players in particular it's how the manager works, he wanted to work with what he had. We are seeing better performances from mostly all of them.

Guess we'll see if McGinn plays as much next year as it seems like reinforcements are incoming.

56 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Presumably SJM will keep the armband?

I'd imagine so yes.

Playing as he is, he should be on the pitch as well but he's up against it.

I think we'll see Mings and Martinez wear the armband plenty next season.

Â