John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I don’t think Emery will be unprofessional and freeze him out we might see him come on to see games out like yesterday again, I don’t think he’s technically good enough to play in this team it seems like the beginning Of the end for him here but it would be nice to see him go out positively it wasn’t his fault that Gerrard   Picked him every week.

He’s the kind of player you want coming on for the last 30 mins in an advanced position, hassling and harrying defenders and the oppositions deep lying midfielders. He’d be a nightmare to play against in that scenario I feel.

I think he’ll probably be one we look to move on in the Summer as he’ll still fetch a decent price and Emery will want to bring in his own midfielders. I can actually see him, Sanson and Nakamba leaving potentially.

Will be fondly remembered if he does leave. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s the kind of player you want coming on for the last 30 mins in an advanced position, hassling and harrying defenders and the oppositions deep lying midfielders. He’d be a nightmare to play against in that scenario I feel.

I think he’ll probably be one we look to move on in the Summer as he’ll still fetch a decent price and Emery will want to bring in his own midfielders. I can actually see him, Sanson and Nakamba leaving potentially.

Will be fondly remembered if he does leave. 

Pretty much this.  He's a top of the Championship/Bottom of the PL player.  Not good enough to be starting for a team with top half/European ambitions.  But he could be useful as a squad player.  With 20-30 mins to go and opposition stating to tire, he's perfect to bring on as he'll not stop running until the final whistle.

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Pretty much this.  He's a top of the Championship/Bottom of the PL player.  Not good enough to be starting for a team with top half/European ambitions.  But he could be useful as a squad player.  With 20-30 mins to go and opposition stating to tire, he's perfect to bring on as he'll not stop running until the final whistle.

The only problem with this is that he won't tire the opposition out as he runs as fast as a post office and his passing is wonky and laborious. Time to say tarrah a bit.
I don't dislike him as a person as others have said, but his personality is almost meaningless to me. I'd sooner have a shithouse who has an impact on the game.

Competition in midfield is about to get intense. Donck has impressed, Sanson is back from limbo, Kamara is back from injury, Doug and JJ are at their best, Buendia may now be used in midfield instead of the forward line...McGinn may not be completely frozen out, but he's going to have a much harder time getting into the side.

That said, I always thought that McGinn's skill set would fit better in a 4-man midfield than a 3-man midfield. He could thrive when Unai plays 4-4-2.

16 minutes ago, TomC said:

Competition in midfield is about to get intense. Donck has impressed, Sanson is back from limbo, Kamara is back from injury, Doug and JJ are at their best, Buendia may now be used in midfield instead of the forward line...McGinn may not be completely frozen out, but he's going to have a much harder time getting into the side.

That said, I always thought that McGinn's skill set would fit better in a 4-man midfield than a 3-man midfield. He could thrive when Unai plays 4-4-2.

We played 4-4-2 yesterday 

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Agreed, it was mostly 4-4-2 yesterday, but Unai has been known to change from match to match or within a match.

Yes we were changing within the match yesterday it was a fluid formation. I don’t know where John fits in though he’s to one dimensional to play most roles, I think coming on as a pressing forward or advanced cam to see games out will be his role for now.

1 hour ago, TomC said:

When he came on against United, the first thing he did was give the ball away.

For a team with ambitions for top half and Europe, he’s at best a back up option.

If we can get a decent price for him, we’d be mad not taking it.

43 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Exactly...but in a four man midfield, you can afford a player like that, because he doesn't need to be a playmaker or carrier. He can be "box-to-box" in the older sense...defend near our box, get in a position to shooot near their box, and do nothing in between. Those are his strengths.

50 minutes ago, duke313 said:

For a team with ambitions for top half and Europe, he’s at best a back up option.

If we can get a decent price for him, we’d be mad not taking it.

100% agree, thats not me being nasty, but if we could get a good price for him i would definitely consider it.

Â