18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

we have to accept that a lot of building is still needed, whoever you chose to blame, we are still under the shadow of FFP and a poor squad that has been supplemented by loans for years.

we should at least try and get into the play offs but even that isn't guaranteed unless we pull off some miracles in the transfer window.

31 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We're gonna be the next Derby/Leeds/Ipswich etc and get stuck down here for years aren't we? 😥

My worst nightmare but one I can definitely see becoming a reality. 

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we should at least try and get into the play offs but even that isn't guaranteed unless we pull off some miracles in the transfer window.

When watching this team playing the last 4 games i don't think we will be anywhere near playoffs.

I'm sorry but that's just my observation.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of changes and it was a cup game so not going to get too carried away. But losing Tammy and also without Jack and Axel for the next 4 crucial games doesn’t fill me with hope. We have to win at least 3 of them really to stay in contention.

Yes it was only a cup game but look at our last 4 games we've played.

The worrying thing is that we've gone backwards. We aren't the freeflowing, goalmachine we were  2 months ago.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes it was only a cup game but look at our last 4 games we've played.

The worrying thing is that we've gone backwards. We aren't the freeflowing, goalmachine we were  2 months ago.

I don’t actually think they were that bad considering the injuries. Leeds scored last kick of the game and f**k knows how QPR scored 2. 

We’ve gone backwards because of injuries.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t actually think they were that bad considering the injuries. Leeds scored last kick of the game and f**k knows how QPR scored 2. 

Every team in this league get injuries. It's no excuse. If the club crumbles to pieces everytime we lose 1 or 2 key players we will never get promoted in the first place.

This team will be nowhere near playoffs this season and Losing Tammy will only spread negativity around the club. Sad times

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Every team in this league get injuries. It's no excuse. If the club crumbles to pieces everytime we lose 1 or 2 key players we will never get promoted in the first place.

This team will be nowhere near playoffs this season and Losing Tammy will only spread negativity around the club. Sad times

We haven’t crumbled too pieces tho, we just dropped points. We lost 1. Yes draws are not good enough but you’re making out we just got hammered in the last 4 games. 

• Like 1

You listen to ex footballers and they talk about having a strong spine.  Nyland has been weak we have now replaced him.  Our best defender this year was Axel he is now out.  Best Midfielder Jack out and it looks like best forward Tammy is out too.  Even the best teams in the world would struggle in this situation.

Our first 11 is equal to anything in this division if we could get them all back fit we would have a chance.   As it stands we will be eeking out points till the end of Jan.

It's a kick in the nads but that is football!  hopefully we sign a couple more to get us firing again.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2019 at 16:58, AVTuco said:

No chance, whether Tammy goes or not. Tammy keeps us respectable, nothing more.

I think you have touched on a very significant point....and a very apt one.

we have been bumping along for a number of seasons now, relying on about 3/4 players to keep us all respectable and interested.....promising loads, but taking us nowhere.

The problem is everyone else is dining out on their performances.....the major issue for me is, these also rans are not being dealt with in a manner that represents an ambitious club....the players that are creating the prime of our successes are also aware and want to go to clubs where the work is shared.

We have to get more ruthless with the fill in players that are contributing to very little of what we do.

We have players who give the odd decent performance and then want appraising on that....the next 5/6 games are dog poo.

It needs a clearout and the 3/4 best players we have at the time,deserve better support from the rest, our balance is out of kilter.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

You listen to ex footballers and they talk about having a strong spine.  Nyland has been weak we have now replaced him.  Our best defender this year was Axel he is now out.  Best Midfielder Jack out and it looks like best forward Tammy is out too.  Even the best teams in the world would struggle in this situation.

Our first 11 is equal to anything in this division if we could get them all back fit we would have a chance.   As it stands we will be eeking out points till the end of Jan.

It's a kick in the nads but that is football!  hopefully we sign a couple more to get us firing again.

I am not sure you are right about our first 11 is equal to anything else in the league.

I think our best 3/4 players are equal to anything else in the league.

I believe the rest are not.....and i think we think they are and its part of our problem.

their form is too up and down.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2019 at 13:21, wilko154 said:

I honestly think it's now all about scraping ourselves into the playoffs.

If we can pick up enough points this month whilst bedding in a few new signings before finally getting Grealish back in February then we should have enough about us to finish in the top 6.

The important part of our season will then be March - May,  with new signings bedded in and Grealish back to full fitness we will need to find some form going into the playoffs. We all know how hard the playoffs are but this team, with Smiths style would be a real force that no one would want to come up against at Wembley.

Not to labour a point, but i think the first 6 games you might be right......the last 6/7 i would think most teams would fancy us.....The defensive capability is far more serious than is actually been said.

unless we fix it, the play offs themselves, will be a pipe dream....Tammy or no Tammy.

On 05/01/2019 at 17:59, Vive_La_Villa said:

QPR scored for the self same reason , why Leeds were the dominant force when we was 2-0 up....and the same reason why we scrambled a win at Swansea, by defying a last minute spot kick....and Blues had us on the ropes in the first 35 minutes, scoring by another perfect example of not tracking you man.....we dropped 2 at Albion again by being out muscled...we give out space against Forest like confetti.

not being rude mate, but you have to watch the game, the answers are all there.

Dean Smith himself said after the Swansea game, i will be having a word with some and ask why the effort was not there......its bloomin clear, we are not competing.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

QPR scored for the self same reason , why Leeds were the dominant force when we was 2-0 up....and the same reason why we scrambled a win at Swansea, by defying a last minute spot kick....and Blues had us on the ropes in the first 35 minutes, scoring by another perfect example of not tracking you man.....we dropped 2 at Albion again by being out muscled...we give out space against Forest like confetti.

not being rude mate, but you have to watch the game, the answers are all there.

Dean Smith himself said after the Swansea game, i will be having a word with some and ask why the effort was not there......its bloomin clear, we are not competing.

We’re not going to brush aside teams with key players missing. We’re just not good enough. It’s naive to think we are and that a bit more effort is all that is needed. 

We need new players or key players back and until that happens games will be tight regardless of how much anyone wants to blame the management. Whether that be Smith or Bruce. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’re not going to brush aside teams with key players missing. We’re just not good enough. It’s naive to think we are and that a bit more effort is all that is needed. 

We need new players or key players back and until that happens games will be tight regardless of how much anyone wants to blame the management. Whether that be Smith or Bruce. 

Brush aside? I am talking about competing and staying in the game....not yielding the initiative without a fight.

I am not blaming either......but whatever the remedy,......the offerings on the pitch are turgid.

if that makes them no good, i am not arguing.....we need a clearout, if thats the case.

and more importantly, the ones coming, must be better.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Brush aside? I am talking about competing and staying in the game....not yielding the initiative without a fight.

How can you say they are not competing and staying in the game when we’ve lost one in 11. 

I’m not defending the performances but you’re making out like we’re getting spanked every week. 

• Like 1

There is a massive overreaction on this forum. We had a bad month and now I'm reading we have no pace , all our players are crap and we are going to be stuck in the league for years. It wasn't a long time ago we were creating goals for fun with these very players everyone seems to be berating. 

We are going through a bad patch, but the season is far from over. Yes automatic promotion is pretty unlikely, but I'm pretty confident of getting into the playoffs and so should you be. Stop being a load of negative bookends! 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1