What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

spacer.png

Part of a 4-bottle gift set.   Tonight, the bourbon barrel aged.   Tomorrow I may try the blueberry espresso version which, if I like it, will make it harder for me to poke fun at the folks who drink beers that are trying their best not to taste like beer.😉

I tried the blueberry coffee one tonight, and it's a little disappointing.   I don't detect any blueberry or coffee flavors.   It's basically a little more acidic and less smooth version of the bourbon barrel version.   Still a nice  quaff, but I suspect the brew itself is more inflential than the what's done with it between brewing an bottling.

Edited by il_serpente
New info
  • Like 1

So first beer of the day is this Danish beer by Mikkeller. Do Stuff Together, A hazy New England Pale Ale. 4.7% Slightly bitter with a grapefruit taste (though I can't see any added grapefruit in the ingredients)

It's ok, not a bad starter to the day

039D0D55-27E3-4DF5-A307-134FABB99C37.jpeg

C301A2C5-9C27-4485-A6A7-28312219016A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 25/12/2020 at 12:38, av1 said:

I'm the same now. I always knew about the recommendation to let whisky sit for a bit, but it was bizarre quite how much this one changes, i literally went from hating it to loving it. 

Let me know what you think of the Deanston mate, I thought it was superb. 

Here's a list of Ralphys ratings, always a good resource when researching a new bottle. 

Ratings

The Deanston is great, probably the best pound for pound I've tried. I like trying new stuff over repeat purchases but I think this style is what I like the most, found it to be very smooth and slightly sweet with a bit of spice. Splendid.

28 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The Deanston is great, probably the best pound for pound I've tried. I like trying new stuff over repeat purchases but I think this style is what I like the most, found it to be very smooth and slightly sweet with a bit of spice. Splendid.

Mate I'm glad you enjoyed it, I loved it myself. 

I've always been a Islay fan but over the last 12 months or so I'm becoming more and more into Highland stuff like this. 

Next on my Highland bucket list is Glengoyne and Edradour. 

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate I'm glad you enjoyed it, I loved it myself. 

I've always been a Islay fan but over the last 12 months or so I'm becoming more and more into Highland stuff like this. 

Next on my Highland bucket list is Glengoyne and Edradour. 

I'm still learning, still very inexperienced, so keep the recommendations coming and I'll let you know when I've gone broke, cheers.

Ps. ARRAN 10?

23 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'm still learning, still very inexperienced, so keep the recommendations coming and I'll let you know when I've gone broke, cheers.

Ps. ARRAN 10?

I've not tried the Arran pal but I know it's very, very highly regarded so it's another on the bucket list.

I know it's not happening atm with current covid restrictions, but whisky conventions are a really good way of trying out different things and narrowing down what you like. I normally go to the Midlands whisky festival and it's great. 

There are literally dozens of distilleries that attend, and all bring and 20 or more expressions from their range.

It's about £40 per ticket. For that you get a glencairn glass to keep, all the whisky is free to try and you also get a dream dram token (I'll explain that in a bit). At the festival's you also have different master classes that you can book for £5, which include regional master classes, and whisky pairing, cheese, chocolate, cigars etc. 

Going back to the dream dram token, I said all the whisky is free to try, that is the core range of each distillery, so bottles ranging from say £40 to about £300. But each distillery also take a couple of "dream drams" 30/40yrs old. And you can use your dream dram token to try one of those. 

I can't recommend festivals enough. 

Edited by av1

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've not tried the Arran pal but I know it's very, very highly regarded so it's another on the bucket list.

I know it's not happening atm with current covid restrictions, but whisky conventions are a really good way of trying out different things and narrowing down what you like. I normally go to the Midlands whisky festival and it's great. 

There are literally dozens of distilleries that attend, and all bring and 20 or more expressions from their range.

It's about £40 per ticket. For that you get a glencairn glass to keep, all the whisky is free to try and you also get a dream dram token (I'll explain that in a bit). At the festival's you also have different master classes that you can book for £5, which include regional master classes, and whisky pairing, cheese, chocolate, cigars etc. 

Going back to the dream dram token, I said all the whisky is free to try, that is the core range of each distillery, so bottles ranging from say £40 to about £300. But each distillery also take a couple of "dream drams" 30/40yrs old. And you can use your dream dram token to try one of those. 

I can't recommend festivals enough. 

Nice one, just had a quick look and will probably go all being well, another pal who is in to his cheeses will be driving (after I've told him it's a cheese festival).

50 minutes ago, av1 said:

Next on my Highland bucket list is Glengoyne and Edradour

Not sure if this is still true but Edradour used to have the contract for supplying the House of Commons with Whisky

It also used to be the last remaining handmade whisky left in Scotland but I'm fairly sure newer ones have now come along and can also boast this

When I drank whisky, Edradour was a particular favourite of mine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Nice one, just had a quick look and will probably go all being well, another pal who is in to his cheeses will be driving (after I've told him it's a cheese festival).

They are great mate. The thing is whisky is so diverse that you could spend £200 on something and hate it, yet like the Deanston find something for £30 that you love. At £40, festivals are a cheap way of understanding your taste and talking to experts in the field. 

If it's on pal we'll meet up and have a dram.

Edited by av1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not sure if this is still true but Edradour used to have the contract for supplying the House of Commons with Whisky

It also used to be the last remaining handmade whisky left in Scotland but I'm fairly sure newer ones have now come along and can also boast this

I'm out of likes today mate, but that's really interesting, I didn't know that. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just checked mate, absolutely spot on. Edradour home page

A Warm Welcome to Edradour, world renowned as the smallest traditional distillery in Scotland and arguably the most unique. Dating back to 1825, Edradour, stands alone as the last stronghold of handmade single malt whisky from a farm distillery still in production today.

Hidden in the very heart of Perthshire, this picturesque ‘little Model Village’ of Edradour is steeped in a history of intrigue to inspire the imagination. And, with matchless commitment to retaining authentic small scale production, Edradour uniquely boasts over 25 distinctive expressions of Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky with their wonderful characters and flavours.

A visit to Edradour is an unforgettably stimulating experience. See whisky being made first hand amidst sights, sounds, smells and most importantly the exquisite tastes you will always remember.

We look forward to welcoming you to Edradour where a wee dram awaits you on the tour…

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

They are great mate. The thing is whisky is diverse that you could spend £200 on something and hate it, yet like the Deanston find something for £30 that you love. At £40, festivals are a cheap way of understanding your taste and talking to experts in the field. 

If it's on pal we'll up and have a dram.

All being well pal🤞

Â