What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

On 01/01/2021 at 01:52, fightoffyour said:

Did you manage to open that can? What the ****! I had to hodge it open with keys !

I actually haven't had it yet.

It came in my monthly box rather than me buying it specifically, but in the UK it costs £13 a can and I'm almost intimidated to open it 😂 What did you think of it?

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I love the Kees stouts, but the barrel aging didn't do much for me either, I'd just as happily have the regular one.

I was given a box of those Sam Smith fruit beers last year, as well as apricot, there was strawberry, raspberry, and I think cherry. I'd never have bought them for myself, but they were all very nice

Yeah, I think I'll try the regular one and give the cognac one a skip.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I actually haven't had it yet.

It came in my monthly box rather than me buying it specifically, but in the UK it costs £13 a can and I'm almost intimidated to open it 😂 What did you think of it?

It’s very good!

Well, if Xela's having one...

HySVyhX.png

Hard label to read, but that's a 10.4% cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg rice pudding stout. It's something special :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Tonight:

generated_file_0.96845500_1603479367_450

A tequila-barrel-aged quadruppel (11.3%). It cost £7.50, so I had been saving it up to 'celebrate' something, but decided that commiserating lockdown v3 was good enough as a reason. Obviously very strong, but the flavours are very strong too. Can really taste the tequila, and also lychee and caramel flavours are prominent as advertised. A lot going on, but quite nice; had to sip very slowly though, because of its strength, its taste and its price.

Very flavourful, but do I actually want to drink it again? Hmm, not sure.

• Like 3

Doing Dry January between the hours of 4 am - 4 pm and most whole weekdays without a Villa match, probably.

More seriously, will be returning to not drinking much midweek, starting from Sunday gone until this Friday. Have got some special Christmas (gifts not flavoured) beers still in ready for the weekend though.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

De Molen are one of the absolute top tier dark beer brewers on the continent, IMO.

I've never tried that one, and I can imagine the tequila might mean it's not to my taste. I'd strongly recommend one of their more standard stouts. Pricey, but just on another level to most. They do a very, very nice smoked imperial porter that you've reminded me I need to buy again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

De Molen are one of the absolute top tier dark beer brewers on the continent, IMO.

I've never tried that one, and I can imagine the tequila might mean it's not to my taste. I'd strongly recommend one of their more standard stouts. Pricey, but just on another level to most. They do a very, very nice smoked imperial porter that you've reminded me I need to buy again.

I'll keep a look out next time I'm in store 👍

Photo1685.jpg.f0ab67acd16674048a829007d741eb7f.jpg    Photo1686.jpg.661cce1f1692a6817a9d01158bae5264.jpg

She bought this yesterday.

Been ok with the Mars bar in a 10% porter project so far, but this one ain't for me.

It's like beer, a packet of Frazzles and a fag in a can.

I took home a Slag (shall we self Kenneth now?) Very nice bottled Belgian lager.

• Like 2

Had two expensive beers this weekend.

The first was my second and final De Molen:

generated_file_0.91414000_1603479322_gra

This one was at the same price point, £7.50. It is a stout aged in gin barrels with a faint taste of chocolate and peppermint. I liked this much better than the tequila-aged one upthread. There was less going on flavour-wise so it was simpler. I would get this again as a treat.

Second:

mikkeller-lilleo-william-pear-ale.jpg

This is a 'wild ale' (dunno what that means) made with pears by Mikkeller and Lilleo-with-an-o-with-a-line-through-it. I like nearly everything by Mikkeller, so I was prepared to splash out on something I hadn't tried before. It was £10, so it was saved for a special occasion (tonight is the last night of my festive break). Would never normally pay that much for a beer, guess I went crazy. Anyway, it was perfectly pleasant, nice pear taste but not overwhelming. However, I liked the Vault City pear and vanilla sour much more and it was significantly cheaper (though still expensive) so I will stick to that in the future.

• Like 3

That means they incorporate wild yeast, @HanoiVillan. I've only ever tried a couple of them, and I didn't finish either of them, they were both Brett beers that had a bit of a...funk to them, to be blunt, they smelt like a horse. I might need to try a different variety to see if it's just those I can't stand rather than anything with wild yeast.

Glad you liked the other De Molen, you have me wanting to go shopping now!

Tonight's drink, smells delicious, perfectly drinkable and I'd have it again, but not a patch on the rice pudding one from last week.

dDEWRJR.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That means they incorporate wild yeast, @HanoiVillan. I've only ever tried a couple of them, and I didn't finish either of them, they were both Brett beers that had a bit of a...funk to them, to be blunt, they smelt like a horse. I might need to try a different variety to see if it's just those I can't stand rather than anything with wild yeast.

Glad you liked the other De Molen, you have me wanting to go shopping now!

Thanks! That's interesting. I can't say this one had a weird smell or anything like that, it was just a slightly subdued taste.

You should definitely try the De Molen!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not one for me, but it sounds interesting I'll give it that :D 

I thought that too, there's more interesting sounding stouts in the box but that one didn't require chilling and I thought I'd get it out of the way first.

But I really was pleasantly surprised. It really does work well and the spicing is quite subtle.

• Like 1

Â