Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

This, along with pretty much every conflict in the ME recently is a dumpster fire of historic magnitudes.

The West talks about peace but arms Israel to the teeth, the Arab league/Iran talks about peace but arms Hamas, Hezbollah, Muslim Brotherhood and PIJ to the teeth. Everyone does everything bar helping the civilians in Gaza who are used as pawns by some serious evil idiots to build hate against some other evil idiots.

There isn't a future for anyone in Gaza\WB\Israel unless someone can put Israel's right wing backers and the militant Palestinian cause back in its box. Start with Iran and Lebanon, proceed with Likud, and then look closely at why Egypt is dragging its feet with letting people out and in to Gaza.

The Saudis have a big role to play,  the sooner they can calm relations to Israel's moderates the faster this will end. 

• Like 1

Israel need to put their right-wingers back in their box themselves, tbh. They're about to pass some crazy bill that's cutting the welfare state to pay for the war, and extending the length of conscription, while also increasing funding for the ultra-orthodox Jews to not work and make them officially exempt from military service. One of the more moderate members of the war cabinet went to Washington a couple of days ago and was apparently astonished at just how pissed everyone in the White House was with Israel, too.

At what point do they collapse the coalition and force new elections? Even if you're a patriotic Israeli you should be able to see that many of the policies being pursued at the moment aren't good for Israel in the long term (or even really in the short term).

• Like 2

Lord Snooty confirmed the other day that our arms sales to Israel were so comparatively small it wasn’t worth stopping them. Even though we are very very close to becoming concerned about all the dead children.

19 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Israel need to put their right-wingers back in their box themselves, tbh. They're about to pass some crazy bill that's cutting the welfare state to pay for the war, and extending the length of conscription, while also increasing funding for the ultra-orthodox Jews to not work and make them officially exempt from military service. One of the more moderate members of the war cabinet went to Washington a couple of days ago and was apparently astonished at just how pissed everyone in the White House was with Israel, too.

At what point do they collapse the coalition and force new elections? Even if you're a patriotic Israeli you should be able to see that many of the policies being pursued at the moment aren't good for Israel in the long term (or even really in the short term).

So who puts the misery that Likud thrives on back in its box? I.e Iran, the Muslim brotherhood and perennial attacks on Israel since it’s re-inception?

34 minutes ago, omariqy said:

What's a re-inception BTW?

Presumably referring to the ancient kingdom of Israel (and possibly the ancient kingdom of Judah) vs the modern Israel. Hence the re-inception of Israel

23 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

The Israeli electorate is perfectly capable of electing a more moderate government without any help from Iran or external factors. 

Which I’m sure they will. I just don’t see how anything outside Israel changes, its neighbours have a habit of invading it every 7 or so years on a Jewish holiday of some sort.

Likud is there for a reason, just like Hamas is. Unless we deal with the factors that brought us where we are it’s entirely blue-eyed to put this down to the Israeli electorate.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Which I’m sure they will. 

How can you be sure given what’s happened already and the lack of protest compared to the protest against reforms of the judiciary oversight pre October? I don’t see a country wanting to change course. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How can you be sure given what’s happened already and the lack of protest compared to the protest against reforms of the judiciary oversight pre October? I don’t see a country wanting to change course. 

War time legislation, just like in most countries, prohibit people from large protests. Add to it that most of the young people that protested against Benny before this war are now conscripted and must follow every rule of an enlisted individual (no political protest, no open political support etc) 

I might be naive, but I think Benny was toast the day Hamas got through so easily and Benny decided to play politics with the hostages rather than come to an agreement.

• Like 1

Children, like your own, have died, because they have been denied food by Israel. When is this going to be understood? 

Edited by Jareth

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Children, like your own, have died, because they have been denied food by Israel. When is this going to be understood? 

You seem to think people don’t understand, it’s more that they don’t care

14 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Which I’m sure they will. I just don’t see how anything outside Israel changes, its neighbours have a habit of invading it every 7 or so years on a Jewish holiday of some sort.

Likud is there for a reason, just like Hamas is. Unless we deal with the factors that brought us where we are it’s entirely blue-eyed to put this down to the Israeli electorate.

Nah, I don’t believe that. The Israelis are buying a fantasy if they think they can vote for a government that wants to settle Palestinian land, actively sabotage a two-state solution, empower the ultra-orthodox minority and pursue maximalist war goals. There’s no long-term way any of that works out in Israel’s favour.

They’re getting a preview of how it’s going to play out right now, and thankfully it looks like people have realised it’s a bad idea.

A more sensible government would be better able to protect Israel from external threats, and would be much less likely to antagonise the allies Israel needs to survive. And perhaps finish the reconciliation with the Arab states that was on the table before the attack. This war could have been conducted very differently if it wasn’t being carried out as political theatre.

Electing Netanyahu is entirely on Israel, just as electing Trump was on America and Brexit was on us. You can’t blame every act of self-destruction on external factors; sometimes people just vote for bad ideas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

You seem to think people don’t understand, it’s more that they don’t care

They probably mostly do care in a "oh how sad, someone should do something" way. But short of being a bit sad and angry about it, there isn't really much that anyone actually can do. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

Â