New Manager Speculation

maqroll

28 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

He has no actual managerial experience. That's the absolute minimum we should be looking for at this stage. This situation has the potential to go so wrong if we don't go up this year and we need to take it seriously. Its not the time for a wild experiment.

Because actual experience has brought good times to this club over the last 10 years?

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

WTF does Redknapp know about Henry? Get ****, Bagpuss.

Spent most of last night with Terry at an awards event. He's probably got as much of an idea as Terry has.. Which is probably more than John Percy or Alan Nixon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Because actual experience has brought good times to this club over the last 10 years?

MON was experienced and I enjoyed his spell in charge very much. Finishing 6th 3 years in a row and making it to Wembley a couple of times.

Houllier was experienced and got us a 9th place Premier League finish.

I'm not sure what your point is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

WTF does Redknapp know about Henry? Get ****, Bagpuss.

Don't know.

But when a rumour gets that a manager isn't interested - its often correct.  TBH I don't see Henry not being interested - that would surprise me - But if he isn't the villa boards choice that would less surprising.

I agree Henry is a massive gamble. But at this point, I would like to see us roll the dice. We have done years of mediocre "stable" managers, experts at promotion and safe pairs of hands. I would like to see what a left field, outrageous appointment could achieve. Tired of trying the same old same old. Where has it gotten us?

Plus, every time I have hear Henry speak about football it has been a breath of fresh air, none of the tired platitudes and soundbites from old fashioned managers on the merry-go-round.

Ultimately, as others have said, every manager has started somewhere. I am happy for him to have the chance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

MON was experienced and I enjoyed his spell in charge very much. Finishing 6th 3 years in a row and making it to Wembley a couple of times.

My point is that bringing in a manager with lots of experience at this point, is just as much a gamble as bringing in Henry. When hiring a manager you never know what you get.

10 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Spent most of last night with Terry at an awards event. He's probably got as much of an idea as Terry has.. Which is probably more than John Percy or Alan Nixon. 

Alan Nixon, in an obvious attempt to prove me wrong, just tweeted that he's expecting Henry to make his decision today, but he doesn't think he'll come to Villa. 

Edited by Sam3773

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't know.

But when a rumour gets that a manager isn't interested - its often correct.  TBH I don't see Henry not being interested - that would surprise me - But if he isn't the villa boards choice that would less surprising.

Maybe the board have decided he isn't the man for the job. Maybe the feel that now isn't the time for a huge gamble and they want to employ someone they feel is more likely to get us into the play offs this season.

I can't see Henry turning us down so if he isn't coming then it's because the board have decided against it. 

Or that they have decided to accept Arsene Wengers application that is sitting on their desk marked "urgent". ;)

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

My point is that bringing in a manager with lots of experience at this point, is just as much a gamble as bringing in Henry. When hiring a manager you never know what you get.

I have to disagree with you here.

I'm all for going with an inexperienced manager at this stage. So it's not an argument against that.

But OBVIOUSLY if you go with an experienced manager over an inexperienced one then you have more of an idea of what you will get. Not a certainty by any means, but a better idea.
So a manager with an experience is not "just as much a gamble" as bringing in someone like Henry. It is still a gamble, as any appointment is. But a manager with zero experience is quite obviously more of a gamble. 
It's just that the potential rewards of that gamble may also be far greater.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

McLeish was experienced, Bruce was experienced, Lambert was experienced...I can mention just as many experienced managers that "failed" as you can that didnt.

I would rather we went the route of Benitez or Rodgers over Henry, so if he doesn't take the job I wouldn't be too bothered. Both are experienced but not dinosaurs in tactical terms as some of the names previously mentioned are.

I think by the sounds of things Terry is most likely coming in as a coach regardless of the new manager, unless they don't want him. I can't really see a downside to employing him as a defensive coach for the season.