Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

Considering we can only make 3 more loan signings and we need 4 more 1st team positions covering, it really does make the decision to sign a back up keeper even more baffling.

Even if we didn't sign one of the defensive players we could afford to sign snoddy and a younger wing option.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we can get by with three. New CB obviously, another striker and wide option.

Think we'll wait until January for left back position as Hutton can cover it as he did for most of last season.

Not sure that's obvious, Chester and Tuanzebe would be excellent at this level, I think we need a left back more than a centre half right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not sure that's obvious, Chester and Tuanzebe would be excellent at this level, I think we need a left back more than a centre half right now.

This is the question. It's not ideal that one can't be filled.

Reading from what Bruce said when we re-loaned him it appears he sees him as a utility player rather than a CB.

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce says Manchester United loanee Axel Tuanzebe will get opportunities to play in his second loan spell at Villa Park.

The 20-year-old made five appearances for Villa in the Championship last season but his loan spell was hampered by injuries.

And Bruce says there is unfinished business for the defender - and that will be music to United manager Jose Mourinho’s ears.

“It was disappointing for him last year because we only saw little glimpses of him and he got injured twice,” he said ahead of Villa’s game against Wigan.

“It’s really unfinished business. He’s somebody who will fit in anywhere across the back four.

“Right-back, left-back, centre-back, even in the middle of the pitch if you want him to be the defensive one.

“He’s delighted to be back because it’s a bit of unfinished business and we’re delighted to get him again.

“He’s here to play and he will do.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-tuanzebe-aston-villa-15015805

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we can get by with three. New CB obviously, another striker and wide option.

Think we'll wait until January for left back position as Hutton can cover it as he did for most of last season.

I agree with this. We really do need a proper centre half. I know many think Axel will be the next Paul McGrath but from what I’ve seen of him as a player. I’m not convinced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

How do you know Tuanzebe would be excellent at cb?

You can pretty much guarantee that if the man Utd fans think he's good enough for them he will hold his own here once he settles.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with this. We really do need a proper centre half. I know many think Axel will be the next Paul McGrath but from what I’ve seen of him as a player. I’m not convinced.

I think that’s his natural position, it’s where he’s played for Man United’s first team in the Premier League. He’ll do well for us there in my opinion, next to Chester 

Priority has to be a centre back, Jedinak is very poor in that position and Bruce doesn't seem to trust Elphick. Huth might be a possibility for thatnrile.

RW is also somewhere we are desperate fot, I'd like to see Odegaard, would be happy with Snodgrass back too.

Striker, is also a position we need to cover. Kodgia is a long way from his form of 2016\2017, Hogan can't be relied upon in Bruce's system. Davis and RHM have potential (would like to see them play together), but it would be a lot of pressure to make either the main guy. We need someone powerful with a presence in the box (Benteke like). I have no idea who we could get who would fit this role.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that’s his natural position, it’s where he’s played for Man United’s first team in the Premier League. He’ll do well for us there in my opinion, next to Chester 

It may well be but it’s also a very important position. If he is struggling positionly at right back the same could happen at centre half although it would be more costly. 

It was Jedinaks mistake that cost us. Not his defending. 

I would like to see someone else play at centre half. I just think it’s too easy to say Axel should have been playing there and we would have been fine. Nobody knows that. 

If the transfer window closes without Bruce bringing in another centre half then I’ll be annoyed with both him and the club. But I can’t be angry at his decision to play Jedinak there over a player that has never played in that position at this level!  Especially against the team that put in a lot of crosses.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Axel is unproven but I was more going by him being injured for much of his loan spell last season so that happens again and we're back to Elphick or Jedinak.

If, big IF we have brought in a reserve keeper and a utility defender with our 2 loans.

Then it's a strange way of using the limited number (5?) of loans we can make. Considering we have obvious holes in the squad and reserve GK and 6th RB are not among them.

Early days yet so I'm sure the thinking behind it will be explained when we see who else comes in and how the players will be used.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The club is allowed 8 loan players with a maxmum of 5 in the match day squad.  So we could still bring in players fpr all our empty slots.

Is it 25 registered players over 21 squad size rule?

If so we really can't bring in that many unless they are under 21 y.o.

50 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You can pretty much guarantee that if the man Utd fans think he's good enough for them he will hold his own here once he settles.

Unproven is unproven. Put him out there against Yeovil and we'll have a look. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Unproven is unproven. Put him out there against Yeovil and we'll have a look. 

Yeovil will be a start but it will be unfair to judge him on this game. He will need a good run, as will most players we bring in.

However his potential is better than most alternatives! 

Â