Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

On 4/17/2018 at 08:47, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would loves us to go for Sergi Canos if we are still in this league. Looks a player and would probably cost about 5M.

I would agree.....but Brentford players are notorious for not doing it elsewhere.

8 hours ago, choffer said:

I’m not sure the same system is capable of being replicated. At Brentford, the manager fits into the system and is just another part of it. (Warburton threw his toys out of the pram when he began to believe his own hype and started wanting to operate on his own initiative).

I don’t want to diminish Smith as he is clearly a significant part of the current operation but much like the players, he is just another cog in the machine. I genuinely couldn’t tell you if he could be a success elsewhere but I am certain that the exact Brentford operational model would be extremely difficult to replicate. For that, you’d need a multi-millionaire owner who had such a belief in his own abilities and in the abilities of statistical modelling that he’d ignore much of the usual footballing norms. 

I’m not saying Benham is the second coming here but it’s hard to overstate by how much Brentford are overachieving in the last 7 or 8 years and the one constant in that period is his analytic approach (oh, and the millions he’s pumped into the club while he builds sustainability). 

so if its not Smith, who's the brains behind the tactics?   to pass to a teammate and control the ball rather then send it long in hope? 

maybe the system/strategy of the club might not be transferrable, but surely the tactics on field is?    

and yes apologise for going off topic but its an interesting topic

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Would love to see good, young players like these two snapped up before bigger clubs get wind of them.

Agree 100%. We need to be looking at the best local talent such as these lads at Coventry along with those further afield such as Pearce and Peacock-Farrell of Leeds who I mentioned in my recent player match ratings. I hope that we are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skills said:

so if its not Smith, who's the brains behind the tactics?   to pass to a teammate and control the ball rather then send it long in hope? 

maybe the system/strategy of the club might not be transferrable, but surely the tactics on field is?    

and yes apologise for going off topic but its an interesting topic

There's a whole team of staff involved in the on-pitch analytics. They have scenarios outlined for every situation and the players are well-drilled in what they are and what their place is within it. I bit like a gridiron playbook. Sure, Smith is the one who during the 90 minutes, decides what to change and when but the changes are well rehearsed and everyone involved understands what they are. I know on the face of it, most teams have such a set-up but at Brentford, it's all driven by analytics and there are a team of staff in the stands as well as on the bench who guide Smith on how things are going and what options there are. Smith is largely well accepted among the fans but most operate in the belief that the Head Coach is just another piece of the puzzle. a fact borne out by how interchangeable the Head Coach position has been (with one or two notable exceptions).

This is all way off topic so I'll leave it there for now but if you want to ask any further questions either PM me or tag me in a more appropriate thread.

• Like 1

Stephane Bahoken linked again with Brighton, Stoke and few others  apparently interested for bosman move in summer his scoring record is abysmal.

He was at my club (St Mirren) on loan for season in 2013 and scored 0 goals in 5 games and had attitude issues so club send him back to France at Christmas 2013. Couple of my colleagues say he was really shocking on loan and the St Mirren fans can't believe he is being linked to teams like ourselves.

Edited by Villan4Life

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

If we stay in this league I wouldn't mind is taking a look at Barkhuizen (I think) at Preston. When we played them this season he seems to be their best player. Looks a decent player. 

Yeah I rate him good suggestion mate. not hundred per cent sure but think his contract runs out this summer I’ll check wyscout app to have a look.

Edited by Villan4Life

On 19/04/2018 at 07:17, John said:

Agree 100%. We need to be looking at the best local talent such as these lads at Coventry along with those further afield such as Pearce and Peacock-Farrell of Leeds who I mentioned in my recent player match ratings. I hope that we are.

I was in Leeds on a stag recently so a few of us decided to watch them against Wednesday in the snow rather than having to suffer rugby in a pub. Anyway Peacock-Farrell looks like a proper good goalkeeper, you would not have thought he was so inexperienced. Could have been a future England number 1 if he didn't declare for Northern Ireland.

Tom Pearce looked a very limited footballer, no attacking threat whatsoever and put a couple of simple passes down the line straight into touch. He got a standing ovation when taken off though so maybe is rated locally but it was his debut also. I missed the Villa Leeds game so maybe he was  better that day.

As squad filler if we don't go up I'd like to see us sign Ronan Curtis from Derry City. Portsmouth linked with him today but he is good enough for the championship and would cost the usual LOI peanuts.

• Like 1

Pearce scored a screamer for Leeds yesterday. I guess we won't really be looking seriously at bringing players in before the playoffs are over though.I hope we're actively looking though.

If we’re In this division next season, and with Gollini’s loan finishing at the end of the season, i’d like to see us use the free transfer market to sign a keeper rather than blow a large fee on Johnstone.

i see Vorm (Tottenham) and Robles (Everton) and Krug (Brighton) are out of contract and useful.

Edited by dukes
iPad Autocorrect
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dukes said:

If ee’re In this division next season, and with Gollini’s loan finishing at the end of the season, i’d like to see us use the free transfer market to sign a keeper rather than blow a large fee on Johnstone.

i see Vorm (Tottenham) and Robles (Everton) and Kruger (Brighton) are out of contract and useful.

Exactly, save money where we can and at least then we might be able to afford 1 or 2 big signings when the right opportunity arises. Of course if we can get Johnstone for a reasonable fee we should, maybe allow Man Utd a big sell on clause or a buy back clause and save a few million in the short term.

HITC always seems to pop up with stories but they look like a poor version of goal .com. They said we had scouts at Porto vs Benfica last week

They then linked us with Hector Herrera :crylaugh: :crylaugh::crylaugh:

On 22/04/2018 at 07:51, dukes said:

If we’re In this division next season, and with Gollini’s loan finishing at the end of the season, i’d like to see us use the free transfer market to sign a keeper rather than blow a large fee on Johnstone.

i see Vorm (Tottenham) and Robles (Everton) and Krug (Brighton) are out of contract and useful.

Said similar myself.

I wouldn't be dead against Johnstone. But there were rumours linking him with Spurs to be their number 2. If Vorm came the other way then that would be a good result for us imo.

• Like 1

Everytime ive seen him, which granted is only a handful - Kasey Palmer has really impressed me............ hes at Derby now - I didnt know till I looked that he was a loanee from Chelsea........... 

Â