Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

2 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Id bust the bank for Shaqiri from Stoke

i've not seen him much, but when I have his most striking feature was his selfishness.  He passed or didn't pass based on what gave him personally, the best opportunity to shoot and then screamed at teammates if they took a run designed to give themselves a chance.  (even if it was a better chance).  If he's as good as you think, maybe the few times I've seen him were not representative of his overall play.

Didn’t he also get Diame and Hernandez to Hull too... not bad acquisitions. Still, not sure how much managers actually pick players these days. Is it more “I need a striker that’s quick” and the club say what about “Hernandez” or whatever?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Didn’t he also get Diame and Hernandez to Hull too... not bad acquisitions. Still, not sure how much managers actually pick players these days. Is it more “I need a striker that’s quick” and the club say what about “Hernandez” or whatever?

Manager makes final decisions on players unless It’s West Ham owners who choose majority of players. Number of Scouts work for a clubs Head of Recruitment and Make lots of suggestions to the Head of Recruitment then upto Manager and Head of Recruitment normally who they will go for sometimes even managers own targets.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

It's perhaps been asked already in different threads, but what would you think about bringing back Benteke if we go up? I read some rumours that Palace would be happy to let him go for £20M.

I think he would fit in perfectly and would love to have him back. I have no grudges that he left and that's very few players I'd say that about. 

28 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It's perhaps been asked already in different threads, but what would you think about bringing back Benteke if we go up? I read some rumours that Palace would be happy to let him go for £20M.

I think he would fit in perfectly and would love to have him back. I have no grudges that he left and that's very few players I'd say that about. 

Honestly I am ambivalent. Good player for us no doubt. But I also never ever want to see again the poisonous attitude we saw in the Villa squad and managers that got us relegated. Tekkers was there at the time. So bringing back any of the players from the bad old days makes me pause. Just in case thats the tipping point back to the piss poor team spirit we used to have. Bruce & Wyness & Xia have worked VERY hard to finally erase that crap. I would hate to see their work undone.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

29 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Have thought about this and I'd be in favour. He's having a poor season but we know what he can do and he'd have the crowd right behind him. At his best he was the best striker we've had in the last 20 years and for 20m in today's market it would be well worth it IMO.

34 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Honestly I am ambivalent. Good player for us no doubt. But I also never ever want to see again the poisonous attitude we saw in the Villa squad and managers that got us relegated. Tekkers was there at the time. So bringing back any of the players from the bad old days makes me pause. Just in case thats the tipping point back to the piss poor team spirit we used to have. Bruce & Wyness & Xia have worked VERY hard to finally erase that crap. I would hate to see their work undone.

That's a good point, I didn't think of it that way. I don't really know how his attitude was or if he contributed to a bad team spirit or not. He scored a lot of goals of course, but he was at the same time constantly linked away and at least his agent gave the impression that he wanted to leave several times. I also remember that I thought he often complained and gesticulated on the pitch, something I've seen him do at Palace too lately. Not sure if he is much different to others, but I agree with you, if he would bring back the memories of the bad team spirit, then I'd hesitate as well. Though without knowing anything about it really, wasn't it the last season when we were relegated that the team spirit really deterioated, with the Gabby antics etc? Or was it there also the season before when Benteke & co was here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We have a feel good factor at moment and lot players working hard why would we want ruin it that by bringing back Benteke when the key to doing well next season if we did go up is hard worker and team spirit. That ship sailed when he went and rarely does a player work out that returns to the club.

He has become a bit of s mercenary and He is apparently off to China for big money.

I bet some fans will want Milner or Barry back in summer too.

Lets just leave these players as hero’s of the past and move forwards finding some new hero’s on the way

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

I've gone off benteke since he took that penalty of the Palace midfielder in the last minute and then missed, shows he's more about himself than the team. The fact his wages will be in the 90k area and his goalscoring record has gone pants doesn't help either. Would rather give kodjia a chance. 

Benteke was excellent for us, has been decent since he left (overall). For that money I'd probably rather sign someone fresh.

I might get shot down for saying this, but I'd see Delph back as happily as I'd see Benteke.

As said, we could give Kodjia a go, he's scored some good goals, quality in any league.

Shaqiri was very good for Basel, not so sure about his time at Stoke.

Benteke left us because he wanted more money and a bigger club. His goals may well have kept us up against the odds had he stayed. He is at Palace now and the goals and international caps are not flowing as freely as they did for him at Villa Park. Sometimes the grass is not always greener away from Villa Park. He might want to come back if the money was right but how many players come back as good as they were first time around? For me, sadly he has made his choice. 

On 3/13/2018 at 08:13, Demitri_C said:

id sell hogan off and try get gayle in if we wnet up. if we went down again i would be confident we would be straight back with gayle. he was a animal at this level 

Hell no, this kid is not a premier league striker, no need to stock up for a return to the championship.

Â