Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

You couldn't start a car without pulling out the choke then gradually pushing it back in. 

Or. In the case of my first car pulling out the choke then putting your finger into the fuse box at a very particular angle to somehow make a connection with a fuse in a previously blown out socket. 

Having read this post back through I urge you to resist posting a picture of Kenneth Williams thank you. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

You couldn't start a car without pulling out the choke then gradually pushing it back in. 

Or. In the case of my first car pulling out the choke then putting your finger into the fuse box at a very particular angle to somehow make a connection with a fuse in a previously blown out socket. 

Having read this post back through I urge you to resist posting a picture of Kenneth Williams thank you. 

3316720.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

The conversation continues:

“Of course,” continued the older woman, “after we were done patting ourselves on the back for saving diapers and razors, we belched coal dust into the air from our homes and factories. We put phosphorus in our detergent and lead in our paint to make our things shinier, and sprayed DDT on our fields and orchards to rid us of bugs and birds. Our industrial and agricultural waste we dumped in the river to let nature wash it away.

“We threw our garbage in dumps and landfills, and when those grew too big or too noxious, we loaded that garbage onto barges to be dumped in the ocean. Out of sight, out of mind, am I right?
We invented celluloid, Bakelite and other synthetic materials because we were running out of animals whose horns and bones we could carve into billiard balls and hairbrushes. In fact, it was my generation who invented the whole artificial, disposable culture of convenience I was just crabbing about. From frozen foods to chemical preservatives to spray cans that put a continent-sized hole in the ozone layer, we cheerfully bought into anything “new and improved” that relieved us of the drudgery of cooking, cleaning, daily grocery shopping and having worn-out things repaired.

“We turned our prairies into pavement, our rolling hills into strip mines and our green forests into factories and mills. Then we went abroad and razed the rainforests to make rubber tires and fan belts to keep our machines running.
“When someone like Henry David Thoreau or John Muir or Theodore Roosevelt or Rachel Carson implored us to conserve our land and our water for future generations, many of us laughed and said, let those future generations fend for themselves, we’ve got railroads and highways to build, oil wells to drill and toxic waste to dump. To us, if you were overly concerned with how we were polluting the earth and sky and water, you were not ‘green’, you were a damn hippie.

“I guess what I’m saying is that every generation could have done - and still can do - a better job in preserving and protecting our environment and that no generation has a monopoly on virtue.”

To which the young cashier replied, “Now you're getting it, Grandma. Have a nice day!”

And we all thought Prince Charles was mad as a box of frogs. 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

You couldn't start a car without pulling out the choke then gradually pushing it back in. . 

My first car I purchased in 1998 had a choke! (it was a 1988 Metro)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

My first car I purchased in 1998 had a choke! (it was a 1988 Metro)

Must have been made on a good day. Any Metro that lasted ten years was nothing short of a miracle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Must have been made on a good day. Any Metro that lasted ten years was nothing short of a miracle

It only lasted 6 months with me. Got rear ended by a Montego and written off!

If I mention my C reg beige Maestro have we won Austin bingo?

Or do we need an Allegro an MG and a Maxi still?

Austin%2520Maestro%252013%25201983%2520f

I had a blue one later on too, not because it was good or anything, but because it was about £200 :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

If I mention my C reg beige Maestro have we won Austin bingo?

Or do we need an Allegro an MG and a Maxi still?

I had a blue one later on too, not because it was good or anything, but because it was about £200 :D

My Dad at various times owned a Maxi (orange) an Allegro (beige) and the piece de resistance... a red Austin Princess

I shout House :mrgreen:

He owned some shite cars but at least he never bought an Allegro Estate, the car that every tow truck company refused to tow because towing it buckled the chasis. Breakdown in that and it was a low loader

• Like 2

Â