• Grabban
    • Hogan
    • Taylor (Hutton 51)
    • Davis (Onomah 60)
    • Jedinak (Hogan 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/18 at 23:00

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

From when you quoted a poster who wanted Cardiff to win and you said you followed the same train of thought, perhaps?

I was defending the poster wanting Fulham to beat Wolves.  He's on his own wanting Cardiff to win however, that doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Worth noting that nearly 70% of people who have voted have Bruce at average/good. Maybe a 'lot' of people were just sharing how they viewed the game in their eyes.

Happy with win :D

Yes, I’ve just been looking at that. I was reacting to the first crop of comments but clearly people have been returning from planet despair and thinking more about how this was actually a handsome win. If we can be “poor” and win like that, we are laughing.

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, I’ve just been looking at that. I was reacting to the first crop of comments but clearly people have been returning from planet despair and thinking more about how this was actually a handsome win. If we can be “poor” and win like that, we are laughing.

To be fair mate, I think you are overstating it equally in the other direction. 

I will give great credit to SB and the team for an inspired 2nd half and the fact that the players clearly never gave up chasing a win.

However I do think not even SB himself would call it a handsome win.

Nevermind how each of us views the game/result. One thing is for certain, we have abother 3 points in the bag, and with Derby drawing and Fulham winning it's a very important 3 points.

UTV!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I agree that the sign of top side is the ability to win ugly and I do hope we end up laughing in May.  I also posted in support of Bruce given his recent personal loss but I equally feel losing Grealish and Adomah disrupted us more than it should have given our squad depth.  For the life of me I can't see what he does in Onomah either as he has totally gone off the boil.

The man divides us but the team are playing for him despite some strange team selections. A great recent run of victories and then a wobble before today doesn't mean much unless we can build on latest daylight robbery. I am just pleased to see so much fight in the team after the number of ambivalent years that saw us relegated. I still feel onwards and upwards is where we are heading.

Hope this brings balance to the debate, if not the force!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

To be fair mate, I think you are overstating it equally in the other direction. 

I will give great credit to SB and the team for an inspired 2nd half and the fact that the players clearly never gave up chasing a win.

However I do think not even SB himself would call it a handsome win.

Nevermind how each of us views the game/result. One thing is for certain, we have abother 3 points in the bag, and with Derby drawing and Fulham winning it's a very important 3 points.

UTV!

Maybe he’s just not as poetical as me. He did however describe us as “worthy winners” in his post-match comments.

He also praised the team’s resilience, which was the first thing he said we lacked when he took over ( the second being fitness).

SB wanted to create a team with more resilience, that could fight back from losing positions and defend winning ones. To be fair to him, that is exactly what he has achieved.

Much as many Villatalk contributors despise Glenn Whelan, for example, he is exactly the sort of battle-hardened pro who can pop up and score a crucial goal like he did today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Definitely not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Maybe he’s just not as poetical as me. He did however describe us as “worthy winners” in his post-match comments.

He also praised the team’s resilience, which was the first thing he said we lacked when he took over ( the second being fitness).

SB wanted to create a team with more resilience, that could fight back from losing positions and defend winning ones. To be fair to him, that is exactly what he has achieved.

Much as many Villatalk contributors despise Glenn Whelan, for example, he is exactly the sort of battle-hardened pro who can pop up and score a crucial goal like he did today.

Well, well..... we're finding common ground :) I am a fan of Whelan despite his detractors, by no means my favourite player but he has a role to play that I think some undervalue. I also agree that Bruce has definitely made us a harder to team to beat and one capable of a comeback. Two things that we haven't been for a while. 

I know you're a big fan of his and you're baffled by some of the criticism but I give you this comparison,

My daughter has just turned 16 and I'm being faced with lots of headache giving scenarios. I've had a hand in her upbringing and so therefore I must give her trust and start to let her do her own thing a bit more and see if she can handle the responsibility.

Bruce has raised this team from its infancy, he has overseen the crucial forming years. The only criticism I still have, misguided or not, is that sometimes I wish he would let this team go to a party and have fun and back us to be home on time without getting arrested.

I feel he is still a little bit over protective of us as a team and doesn't really trust us to go out and swagger a team into submission. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not being a knob but i think that was whelans first goal in 2 or 3 years :lol:

He's hardly likely to pop up with a key goal, today was very much a one off.. typically against a former club! Which always seems to be us!

I only saw the 1st half due to the stream going offline, but he was having a bad game and two instances led to two very good opportunities for Wednesday, luckily neither went in.

But I agree he's not been woeful, he's been pretty good for us on the whole!

21 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well, well..... we're finding common ground :) I am a fan of Whelan despite his detractors, by no means my favourite player but he has a role to play that I think some undervalue. I also agree that Bruce has definitely made us a harder to team to beat and one capable of a comeback. Two things that we haven't been for a while. 

I know you're a big fan of his and you're baffled by some of the criticism but I give you this comparison,

My daughter has just turned 16 and I'm being faced with lots of headache giving scenarios. I've had a hand in her upbringing and so therefore I must give her trust and start to let her do her own thing a bit more and see if she can handle the responsibility.

Bruce has raised this team from its infancy, he has overseen the crucial forming years. The only criticism I still have, misguided or not, is that sometimes I wish he would let this team go to a party and have fun and back us to be home on time without getting arrested.

I feel he is still a little bit over protective of us as a team and doesn't really trust us to go out and swagger a team into submission. 

Last time I responded to a metaphor it was about eggs and we had an eggstravagansa of responses. So I’m reluctant to reply with reference to your daughter. Who knows where it might end? :lol:

However, we are both Glenn Whelan fans. I agree he is not the fanciest player on the park but he never knows when he is beaten. I think that is the type of player Bruce was keen to get into the squad.

And it is the most misunderstood part of Bruce’s squad building in my view.

Sheff Wednesday fans adamant the match was fixed (here)

Now while I know what its like be on the wrong end of a highly suspicious officiating (Kevin Friends 'performance' QPR at home at home a few years back), its still funny that they think we would choose a game against a relegation threatened team to risk everything.

Come on guys, you were unlucky, it happens; but use your brains!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

During the match it was stated as 10 out. Seems to be going up!

I have watched as much of the match as is available for fans in this crappy league. So I saw Sheffield Wednesday “outplay” us 2-4.

I think of this as the “Villatalk fallacy”, valuing “performance” over result. If we had “outplayed” them but lost 2-4, would you be happier?

The aim of a team in a football match is to win. We did that, quite royally in the end. There really isn’t anything more complex or sophisticated to it than that.

RDM’s teams played a lot of fancy football but couldn’t win. Bruce’s teams play football that clearly drives a lot of Villatalk regulars to great heights of despair and anger and yet he wins a lot of matches.

I know which I prefer.

If you can't accept we played bad then thats your prerogative, the first half performance was as bad as any in the last 18 months. Whether they had 10 injuries or 14, the point is the team they had out was basically their reserves of probable league 1 standard. They are in terrible form but watching the game you wouldnt have believed either of these things.

Of course I'm happy we won, but like I said, we wont get lucky every game playing like that - especially in the playoffs. To get out of this league takes more than luck.  If you want to pretend everything is rosy just because we won, then don't go complaining if we get battered in the playoffs. The performance was similar to the last 2 games but the difference being SW didnt take their chances, for me 3 shit performances in a row is concerning, you obviously want to ignore that fact so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or alternatively if we played like we did when we won 7 on a spin, we would be top. Its a 46 game season with ups and downs. Villa have picked up 4 points in 2 games having not played that well. I will take that every single time.

Its 4 points in 3 games actually.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Not being a knob but i think that was whelans first goal in 2 or 3 years :lol:

He's hardly likely to pop up with a key goal, today was very much a one off.. typically against a former club! Which always seems to be us!

I only saw the 1st half due to the stream going offline, but he was having a bad game and two instances led to two very good opportunities for Wednesday, luckily neither went in.

But I agree he's not been woeful, he's been pretty good for us on the whole!

I think his last goal was actually in 2011!

Wasn’t suggesting he’s a regular goal machine of course. Just that he always steps  up when needed, like today.

• Like 1

Â