Formula One - 2018

BOF

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I believe some teams have an automated system.  So there's no-one controlling the decision.  This is what causes the problems.  Introducing a human element allows for thinking on your feet, instead of blindly following a lighting system which could kill someone.  As I said earlier, Red Bull seem to have stayed more old school where others have evolved it to within an inch of someone's life.

Ok, then yes that's different. 

In that case you're right, a lollipop man with the power to overrule the system would definitely be the best short term fix.

Paint a yellow box on the ground, defined by the 4 wheels of the car. Any toe ventures on that line is a 5s penalty, inside the line equals a stop and go. Guy screwed up by standing there. A systems failure highlighted and exponentially amplified by an individual error.

I think people are forgetting how heavy those tyres are. Likely you physically can't lift a tyre off if you're not stood where the guy was. Certainly not safely.

Saying he screwed up is incredibly harsh. I don't think you can blame him for assuming the car isn't going to go before he's even got the wheel off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Saying he screwed up is incredibly harsh. I don't think you can blame him for assuming the car isn't going to go before he's even got the wheel off.

I expect he was doing exactly as his training told him to do, i.e. stand exactly here and complete this action to assist removing and/or installing wheel(s). It not his job to be ready to jump out of the way of an accelerating F1 car that has been illegally released (more than one tyre type is not permitted at the same time).

If all the mechanics had to be positioned in places where they weren't in danger if the car moved unexpectedly, I expect the pit stops times would increase dramatically.

Could they not just have a button on each corner a la the end of a Ninja Warrior course which is pressed on the tyre being successfully changed and everyone being clear and the green light can't activate until all 4 buttons have been pressed?

Horrible accident. Hope the guy makes a speedy recovery.

(We should arguably have a thread for brutal sports injuries like that)

There seems a few viable options but, for me, to keep the excitement of pit stops (which have already been reduced with no fueling) you can't change them too much. Perhaps there should be a 2 or 3 second wait period after the last mechanic has touched the car - would still mean teams are racing to do quick stops but the two second window of not touching anything (like stop and go penalties) would practically nullify any risk created by trying to have a car pull away milliseconds after a change of parts.

Edit; actually a way easier method came to mind when I pressed 'post'. Why not just have a box, highlighted in yellow, mechanics do their stuff as they need, as quick as they can, but must be outside the box before the car can be released. Doesn't rely on communication or computers etc just need the lollypop guy to see everyone is visibly clear.

Edited by jackbauer24

Yeah he really does, mind you though I'm not going to complain to much because I can't stand Vettel.

First 3 parts if the race was terrible, no action at all, great strategy from red bull when the safety car came out, Mercedes and Ferrari were caught napping big time.

I'm well pleased for Ricciardo, he' a good character and doesn't seem to get any luck at all, considering he was 2 minutes from not racing today it's a cracking result for him.

17 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Year 4 of his F1 career and Max still hasn't worked out you need to consistently finish races to collect enough points to win titles

He's so impatient.

He was clearly miles faster than Vettell, who admitted he wasn't even going to bother resisting.

If he'd waited literally 15 seconds he'd have blasted past Vettell on a straight.

23 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah he really does, mind you though I'm not going to complain to much because I can't stand Vettel.

Oh absolutely. I was loving it :D 

Great to see someone actually delighted to have won a race .... Watching the after race program on Sky F1 Danny walking around without the shoe & the start of the post race press conference hiding behind the trophy ...pure quality 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Great to see someone actually delighted to have won a race .... Watching the after race program on Sky F1 Danny walking around without the shoe & the start of the post race press conference hiding behind the trophy ...pure quality 

I think I read that was his 6th win? Hard to believe he's been in F1 for so long and had only won 5 races up to this weekend, no wonder he was delighted.

Just shows how hard it is for anyone but the top teams to win and red bull have been thereabouts since the Vettel domination days.

9 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I read that was his 6th win? Hard to believe he's been in F1 for so long and had only won 5 races up to this weekend, no wonder he was delighted.

Just shows how hard it is for anyone but the top teams to win and red bull have been thereabouts since the Vettel domination days.

Crap regs bought and paid for by Merc, with Ferarri happy to take the dollars and sit back, as long as they were given a win or two.

I read earlier that Ricciardo will only consider a 2 year contract because of the uncertainty of the sports future (talking about the engine regulations)

I've only just started getting into my F1 again after a loooooooooong long lay off, and when I followed it before I never really bothered about the drivers contracts etc, is it unusual for someone to just have a 2 year contract or are they normally tied down to longer ones?

Must say I'm really enjoying the season so far.  Only 3 races in and they've all been great in their own different way.  Not at all the boring F1 that people have been accusing it of from the outside for years.  Moar please.

Early observations on the front runners.  I think any of the top 3 teams could take the titles.  I'm still not convinced that Mercedes are not the fastest.  Hamilton must have broken a mirror over a black cat under a ladder to have somehow conspired not to have won at least one of those races.  Bottas is showing that he's not quite up to the level required to lead a top team, but he's a perfectly serviceable backup.  Vettel was obviously incredibly lucky to have won in Oz, but China showed chinks in Ferrari's armour, although they will continue to develop.  They may hamper their own WCC efforts by compromising Kimi on strategy.  The Red Bulls still haven't been able to show us their true race pace for one reason or another, but the glimpses we have seen show us a potentially extremely quick car.  I'm hoping these early season calamities will be the making of Max in the long run.  He wasn't even this erratic in his early days.  His pace is certainly not in question though.

Agreed, the signs are looking good so far.

I said as much back in March :)

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:24, AVFCDAN said:

The pack was always going to close up on Mercedes sooner or later, that jump they got on the hybrid engines wasn't going to last forever and it looks from last year that Red Bull and Ferrari have got just as good of an aero package.

Have a feeling this could be a good year, its certainly overdue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Must say I'm really enjoying the season so far.  Only 3 races in and they've all been great in their own different way.  Not at all the boring F1 that people have been accusing it of from the outside for years.  Moar please.

I thought Australia was really dull, but the other two have been really good. Although China took a while to get going.