Formula One - 2018

BOF

In case you don't visit the youtube thread I'll stick it here (semi relevant).

This is utterly mental and awesome.  A 5m19s lap of the Nordschleife.  Porsche have just knocked almost a minute off the old lap record.  A record which Stefan Bellof had held since 1983.

• Like 1

BBC reporting that Charles Leclerc has agreed in principle to join Ferrari from next season on a 2 year contract. 8 races into his F1 career. Kid is special. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

In case you don't visit the youtube thread I'll stick it here (semi relevant).

This is utterly mental and awesome.  A 5m19s lap of the Nordschleife.  Porsche have just knocked almost a minute off the old lap record.  A record which Stefan Bellof had held since 1983.

Holy shit. He's doing speeds at some points of that they I wouldn't do in a game.

Also his brain must have been like it's been in a washing machine after that, his head was bouncing all over the shop through that lap.

• Like 1

No comments on Austria?  I thought it was one of the better races.  Plenty of action and excitement.  It was nice of Lewis to close the championship back up, and Max continues to show impressive form after his sloppy start to the season.  Fun fact.  17 of the 20 drivers moved either up or down in the WDC standings after that race.  The only 3 who didn't budge were Sirotkin (who is now the only driver not to have scored a point this season), Leclerc who stayed 14th (but got 2 pts) and Alonso who stayed 8th (even though he moved above Hülkenberg, but was himself displaced by Magnussen).  Everyone else moved, which is quite the anomoly.  Grosjean finally getting on the board, and in some style.  Max only 3pts behind Danny now.  Sauber with a double points finish.  Haas moving above McLaren & Force India into 5th and Ferrari going top.  And now we're straight on to Silverstone.  I'm liking this triple header :D 

And in Formula 2, McLaren's protégé Lando Norris has been knocked off top spot for the first time this season by reigning GP3 champion and Mercedes F1 reserve driver George Russell.  Russell has won the last 2 feature races and also managed 2nd in yesterday's sprint race.

This is an interesting race. I went last year and could have gone this year as guests of Pirelli but couldn’t make it. 

If Lewis can get 3rd/4th after his incident it’ll be a fantastic recovery.

On 08/07/2018 at 22:50, Genie said:

It’s hard not to dislike Lewis when he pisses off at the end of the race rather than speak to the fans. 

It’s harder not to dislike him when he’s an absolute grade A word removed. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Danny Rick is leaving Red Bull.

tenor.gif

Yep.

He's joining Renault for 2019.  He's replacing Carlos Sainz and partnering Nico Hulkenberg.

"It was probably one of the most difficult decisions to take in my career so far, but I thought that it was time for me to take on a fresh and new challenge. I realise that there is a lot ahead in order to allow Renault to reach their target of competing at the highest level but I have been impressed by their progression in only two years, and I know that each time Renault has been in the sport they eventually won. I hope to be able to help them in this journey and contribute on and off track."

Red Bull are evaluating their options but Pierre Gasly is currently the favourite to partner Verstappen.

Sainz is likely to join McLaren but is also an option for Red Bull.

Pretty mental decision but I can't blame him given the obvious favoring of Max at RB. Hopefully, they leave the engine regs alone now and maybe we can get to having 3-5 teams capable of challenging.

16 minutes ago, villakram said:

Pretty mental decision but I can't blame him given the obvious favoring of Max at RB. Hopefully, they leave the engine regs alone now and maybe we can get to having 3-5 teams capable of challenging.

I think Red Bull moving to Honda must have had some influence on the decision too.  Maybe the final straw.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I think Red Bull moving to Honda must have had some influence on the decision too.  Maybe the final straw.

Ya, I guess we don't really know how tight he has been with Renault. Really hope they can step it up and allow him to challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45188028

Fernando Alonso: McLaren's Spanish driver to retire from Formula 1 at end of season

Shame, but not surprising I suppose. If he can't get a proper drive with a non rubbish side, I'm not surprised he's packed it in, it's been so depressing seeing him trundle round the back of the grid like this.  Don't know how much this is McLaren incompetency versus the regulations to blame

Yeah he has quite clearly been bored for a few years now.  Participating in Indy and Le Mans was indication of that.  I've no doubt he wants out before he becomes yesterday's news.  He can go somewhere and win a title straight away.  It'll be interesting to see which series has piqued his curiosity.  Probably the Le Mans endurance series if it has enough races.

Sainz takes the now vacant seat.

Carlos Sainz will race for the team from the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Carlos, 23, from Madrid, Spain, has signed a multi-year deal with the team, replacing Fernando Alonso. Carlos will enter his fifth season of Formula 1 when he joins the team as a McLaren driver in 2019. He currently sits 11th in the drivers’ championship standings with 30 points.

:snip:

• Like 1

Good move for all concerned I think.  Still looking like Gasly to Red Bull too.  With that McLaren seat gone, it looks less likely that Norris will be moving up next season.  I wonder will George Russell be the one to take the 20th seat.