Formula One - 2018

BOF

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

So Monaco was pretty dull. As usual.

It seems the general concensus was that it was even worse than Monaco usually is.  Alonso suggested fans should get a refund.  The hypersofts were the problem.  Track position was so important that no-one dared pit.  So they all tippy-toed around on the same awful tyres, hoping they wouldn't burst.  Monaco has never ever been an overtaking track, but the tyres made a bad thing painfully worse.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:21, BOF said:

It seems the general concensus was that it was even worse than Monaco usually is.  Alonso suggested fans should get a refund.  The hypersofts were the problem.  Track position was so important that no-one dared pit.  So they all tippy-toed around on the same awful tyres, hoping they wouldn't burst.  Monaco has never ever been an overtaking track, but the tyres made a bad thing painfully worse.

The "circuit" is the problem, as it always is. I hate that it seems to have this untouchable feel to it, is it still the only circuit that doesn't have to pay to be on the calendar? One of those "if I ruled the world" things would be to drop this like a hot potato and replace it with a proper race track.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

The "circuit" is the problem, as it always is. I hate that it seems to have this untouchable feel to it, is it still the only circuit that doesn't have to pay to be on the calendar? One of those "if I ruled the world" things would be to drop this like a hot potato and replace it with a proper race track.

I can't agree more. It only gets in on tradition in my opinion, and the organisers are too scared of the uproar if it were dropped from the calendar. In truth It is just a procession , they may as well just do the formation lap, and call it the result. A prime example was Verstappen trying to get past Sainz (I think), clearly faster by about two seconds a lap and on fresh tyres, and only just managed to make the chicane after the tunnel in his overtaking manouvre. I wouldn't miss it if it were not on next years race calendar!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It is untouchable.  But at least in previous years the cars were going balls to the wall, which meant drivers were under pressure from behind for 78 laps and concentrating much harder, meaning on a track like that mistakes could easily happen.  Even if overtaking was still very difficult, drivers were kept honest by the guy behind.  That was the key difference this year and it's why the drivers found it as boring as the spectators did (drivers usually find Monaco anything but boring). 

We need to get back to that next year, so Pirelli will probably choose a different set of compounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Reporter: Max, why do you think you've had so many accidents this season?

Max Verstappen: I don't know [long pause]. I said at the start of the press conference I am fed up of these questions, if I get a few more I'm going to headbutt someone (and he wasn't joking).

I bet Red Bull are delighted with him. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Reporter: Max, why do you think you've had so many accidents this season?

Max Verstappen: I don't know [long pause]. I said at the start of the press conference I am fed up of these questions, if I get a few more I'm going to headbutt someone (and he wasn't joking).

I bet Red Bull are delighted with him. :lol: 

This is my first season of really watching him and I think he's a **** nightmare.

I mean it makes it exciting to watch.

But to me he just appears to do whatever he wants. Most of the time the only reason he doesn't crash into whoever he is overtaking is because they get out of his way. Prime example was the race (Azerbaijan?) where he was battling Ricciardo. Every time he went for the pass it was an accident waiting to happen, and it was only because Ricciardo took evasive action every time that they didn't crash sooner.

I think it's a very arrogant way to race.

I can see him getting binned off before the end of the season if he doesn’t change his style.

He looks like a prick out of the car too.

Edited by Genie

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is my first season of really watching him and I think he's a **** nightmare.

I mean it makes it exciting to watch.

But to me he just appears to do whatever he wants. Most of the time the only reason he doesn't crash into whoever he is overtaking is because they get out of his way. Prime example was the race (Azerbaijan?) where he was battling Ricciardo. Every time he went for the pass it was an accident waiting to happen, and it was only because Ricciardo took evasive action every time that they didn't crash sooner.

I think it's a very arrogant way to race.

Hamilton was a bit like that in his debut season with Alonso, he was their golden boy as well and probably one of the reasons Alonso promptly moved onto pastures new.

I firmly believe you need to have that edge to be the best. Most of the greats of the last 30 years have been like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Hamilton was a bit like that in his debut season with Alonso, he was their golden boy as well and probably one of the reasons Alonso promptly moved onto pastures new.

I firmly believe you need to have that edge to be the best. Most of the greats of the last 30 years have been like that.

No they haven't.

There's a difference between having an edge and being reckless. 

Having an edge is going for the smallest gaps when they appear. 
Verstappen just tries to create a gap, and fails.

He'll never be a great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No they haven't.

There's a difference between having an edge and being reckless. 

Having an edge is going for the smallest gaps when they appear. 
Verstappen just tries to create a gap, and fails.

He'll never be a great.

I'm not defending him per se and I agree that he's definitely leaning too much towards reckless at the moment but its not helping that he's always starting on the grid down in 4-6th place.

Hamilton and Rosberg had their fair share of incidents and they weren't even having to battle through a pack at the start of races, these were incidents later in the race when they were just fighting each other and not giving an inch.

If he does make it to Ferrari or Mercedes I think you'll see him winning world titles for sure. Depends how you definite a great I suppose.

22 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm not defending him per se and I agree that he's definitely leaning too much towards reckless at the moment but its not helping that he's always starting on the grid down in 4-6th place.

Hamilton and Rosberg had their fair share of incidents and they weren't even having to battle through a pack at the start of races, these were incidents later in the race when they were just fighting each other and not giving an inch.

If he does make it to Ferrari or Mercedes I think you'll see him winning world titles for sure. Depends how you definite a great I suppose.

Verstappen seems to drive like he is playing an F1 game on xbox/Playstation. You can pretty much overtake anywhere on those games where it just simply isn't possible in those gigantic real life cars. They look small on tv but they are 2 meters wide and over 5 meters long, measure that out and you'll see that they are much bigger than your average family car and trying to fling them up the inside of a random corner simply will not work most of the time.

Anyway it's Canada which usually means an exciting race but would expect nothing other than Hamilton completely dominating the whole weekend

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Verstappen seems to drive like he is playing an F1 game on xbox/Playstation. You can pretty much overtake anywhere on those games where it just simply isn't possible in those gigantic real life cars. They look small on tv but they are 2 meters wide and over 5 meters long, measure that out and you'll see that they are much bigger than your average family car and trying to fling them up the inside of a random corner simply will not work most of the time.

Anyway it's Canada which usually means an exciting race but would expect nothing other than Hamilton completely dominating the whole weekend

I'm sure Verstappen will have an accident at some point, through no fault but his own, and blame someone else.

He has not been at fault for all of his accidents.  That takes nothing away from the justified criticism of the ones where he has though.  I've been as vocal as any, but we can't go all Daily Mail on him either.

And as for the difference between having an edge and being reckless.  I'd use neither of those words.  I'd say ruthless.  Utterly ruthless.  Schumacher & Senna were ruthless.  They'd often play the 'let's have an accident' game where you had to pull out or both of you were out.  Many times it didn't work.  Many times it did.  But over their careers, other drivers learned not to play that game with those 2.  People are learning that with Max now too.  Whether we like it or not, he has a little extra that most other drivers don't have.  Sure it needs refining.  But as Horner quite rightly pointed out the other day.  Max is learning in public.  Most drivers his age are making those same mistakes in the junior formulae away from the public.  Max doing it in F1 has everyone chipping in with their expert views.

• 2 weeks later...

With Alonso winning the 2 horse race that was Le Mans this weekend (only 2 cars in the LMP1 Hybrid class, both from the same team and the nearest other car was 12 laps behind so basically all they had to do was actually finish) i imagine he will just properly buger off and do a whole season of indycar next year rather than just going for the indy 500

17 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

With Alonso winning the 2 horse race that was Le Mans this weekend (only 2 cars in the LMP1 Hybrid class, both from the same team and the nearest other car was 12 laps behind so basically all they had to do was actually finish) i imagine he will just properly buger off and do a whole season of indycar next year rather than just going for the indy 500

"winning", an embarrassing Toyota PR event this year, such a shame.

yep it was simply a "can we keep this car running for 24 hours" competition, whilst that isn't to be taken for granted at le mans it wasn't really a race but i guess a win is a win in the history books. Just a bit shit for Anthony Davidson really,  booted out of his car so Toyota could get some extra publicity.

To be fair to Alonso his overnight stint was very good with him lapping 4/5 seconds faster per lap than the other toyota, not bad considering he wasn't far off putting it in the wall on his first stint.

He is a very good driver but i guess anyone driving an F1 car for a living is too and unless every driver was in exactly the same car it will always be the car that makes the real difference rather than the driver.

Edited by LakotaDakota

I don't think you can blame Toyota for being the only ones willing to compete in the LMP1 category.  By all accounts it's too expensive, and there are plans to scrap it and make the new top category more appealing and more feasible.  When the likes of Porsche don't want to bother attempting to win Le Mans then you know something is badly wrong with your series.  Fair play to Alonso though.  That's 2 of the 3 done.  First since Graham Hill.  It'll be interesting to see how he goes about winning the Indy 500.  Will he abandon F1 altogether and do a season over there as @LakotaDakota suggests ?   The way his McLaren is running at the moment I wouldn't put it past him.