Formula One - 2018

BOF

Is the pressure of being the best up and coming driver getting to Verstappen? he spun his car in the first race, crashed out in Q1 yesterday and pushed it so hard against Hamilton on the first lap that he ended up hitting him and getting a puncture and having to retire from today's race .

Tough on Ricardo again, his doesn't seem to have much luck with his car.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

**** hell. That was gruesome!!

Someone is going to be in trouble

Just seen reply of it on YouTube, looks like the poor guy has a horrible leg break.. 

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just seen reply of it on YouTube, looks like the poor guy has a horrible leg brake. 

Yep. I kinda missed what happened so rewinded it and I guess because I knew where to look I saw it straight away. Horrible. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I kinda missed what happened so rewinded it and I guess because I knew where to look I saw it straight away. Horrible. 

I didn’t think to rewind :-) Knew someone would have uploaded to YouTube.

... it did seem like a bit of a silly place to be standing, especially with his back to the lollipop. Wonder if he was inboard of where he should have been?

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

I didn’t think to rewind :-) Knew someone would have uploaded to YouTube.

... it did seem like a bit of a silly place to be standing, especially with his back to the lollipop. Wonder if he was inboard of where he should have been?

I guess he just trusted the traffic light system to work. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I did the same (well, I rewound it ;)) and it was minging.  Surely getting the leg mangled by a Formula 1 car is pretty unfixable so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to chop it off.  It was a decent finish to the race anyway.

Yeah it was a good race actually. The start was really good and a tense finish.

Shame Bottas couldn't get past him though. I **** hate Vettel the boring word removed.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it was a good race actually. The start was really good and a tense finish.

Shame Bottas couldn't get past him though. I **** hate Vettel the boring word removed.

I did think at the end he might have not have got away with it if he had Hamilton hunting him down.

Really enjoyable race though.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess he just trusted the traffic light system to work. 

4 times it's failed (for different teams) in the last 2 races, isn't it? 

The poor blokes leg looks completely wrecked in a couple of stills I've seen. There's going to need to be a change to how this works.

The traffic lights are automated aren't they? How doesn't it pick up that one of the wheels hasn't even come off?

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

4 times it's failed (for different teams) in the last 2 races, isn't it? 

The poor blokes leg looks completely wrecked in a couple of stills I've seen. There's going to need to be a change to how this works.

The traffic lights are automated aren't they? How doesn't it pick up that one of the wheels hasn't even come off?

On the commentary they seemed to suggest that the lights are automatic. They go off when the wheel nut is loosened and goes back on when the wheel nut is tightened.

In this case, because the wheel never came off the light stayed on which may have caused the confusion.

I think maybe they should think about reintroducing re-fuelling. To me these incidents are happening because the car is just there for 3 seconds. So there's no time to spot a mistake before the car has gone.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think maybe they should think about reintroducing re-fuelling. To me these incidents are happening because the car is just there for 3 seconds. So there's no time to spot a mistake before the car has gone.

I would consider bringing back refueling just to add to the excitement, it means cars end up on slightly different strategies a bit like what we saw today. Also a few seconds can be gained or lost in every pit which can reduce deficits as well. It will never happen just based on safety issues I reckon plus even less likely in this hybrid era.

If it was Hamilton chasing down Vettel, I’m almost certain he would’ve got past (he would’ve been closer than leaving it to the last lap as well). Bottas just doesn’t seem to have that aggressiveness needed to get that little extra out of the car, or to make that extra overtake.

Edited by mikeyp102

I used to love refuelling as it was so random. You used to get some really mixed up grids with people going light on fuel and gambling on an early SC. With the cost cutting set to continue I can't see them bringing it back anytime soon.

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

I used to love refuelling as it was so random. You used to get some really mixed up grids with people going light on fuel and gambling on an early SC. With the cost cutting set to continue I can't see them bringing it back anytime soon.

I've been watching F1 for about 13-14 years now and the best races for me were mid-late 2000's before it was banned.

Well that was fun.  Props to Gasly.  He came of age this weekend, and will be one to keep an eye on for the bigger teams now.  A stunning drive from Vettel aswell.  Getting those tyres to the end and keeping it on the black stuff without suffering a failure is absolute top notch.  I thought the Mercs had it in the bag when they came out on the harder compound and were clearly going to the end.  Verstappen needs to knuckle down and start finishing races.  He doesn't want to become his father, but failures are becoming more regular than finishes now.  As for the poor Ferrari mechanic.  Webber made a salient point in Channel 4's post-race analysis.  There's currently an arms race happening around pit stops.  In an attempt to squeeze tenths of a second out of the stop, shortcuts are being taken, and that is affecting safety.  The FIA need to step in there and I suspect they will soon.  Unsafe releases have become too common and that jeopardises everyone, not just mechanics.  A loose wheel could go into the stands and kill a lot of people.  But anyway, apart from that it was an enjoyable and unpredictable race right up to the very end.  Good to see Ericsson break his duck too.