The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

55 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder whether it would be better if each team had a couple of reviews per game to use when they think there has been a wrong decision, rather than letting the refs and his video assistants look at pretty much anything.  It's then that they are over-cautious and check too much, which sucks life out of the game.

A nice idea ... Won’t happen though....in my view.

Itd ADD to the drama ....” use your review you prat “ etc......and, whilst it might or might not result in more correct decisions it would take away the ability for Managers to complain about key decisions afterwards

....Trouble is.... there will be too many.....football is a  cynical old world....” ha ! they’ve used up their reviews we are back to normal, kick Grealish to hell lads”......see, unlike cricket, where most things DONT need a Review ( a good shot, a dot ball etc) in football there could be loads. And teams would quickly devise ways of giving opposing managers early reasons to review.

Then there’s the fact that it takes control, management, and decision making away from the Ref.

I think what they’ve come up with is the right idea overall......some thought still needed though.

• Like 1

I'm just dreading this.  It will kill the game.  It's best to have a few wrong decisions (which will probably even up either way) than destroy the instant hit of euphoria of a goal. 

Imagine the future of football where goals are greeted in silence before a warm round of applause a few minutes later when the goal is given a green light, or a few groans with the expected denial. 

It's not what the game is about. 

Attendances will plummet if this goes ahead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Germany U21s keeper sent off for jumping to claim a cross with his one knee raised and clattering a player, reviewed by VAR and red card stood

That's one that VAR won't fix, different ref team sees that differently and he stays on 

For things like that they need to examine a series of videos watching how a keeper jumps for a ball when not near an opposition player and see if a knee raised is normal (which I suspect it will be) 

If there is no obvious unnatural movement it's no foul. 

I think a lot of elbows are given now where it's just a normal part of jumping up.

You need tk see clear unnatural movement into the other player for a foul to be given.

It's pretty easy to get a load of refs to watch a series of videos of players jumping and for contrast some with deliberate knees and elbows surely. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Germany U21s keeper sent off for jumping to claim a cross with his one knee raised and clattering a player, reviewed by VAR and red card stood

That's one that VAR won't fix, different ref team sees that differently and he stays on 

The Guzan one on Dyer was disgusting. Should have been sent off though him getting outjumped by a midget was probably bad enough

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Keeps get away with it too much, especially if it's a goal. The Bradford keeper in the first leg for Weimann's goal should've been a red. 

They really do. Lead with knees and fists and should be penalised for mistiming them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Imagine the future of football where goals are greeted in silence before a warm round of applause a few minutes later when the goal is given a green light, or a few groans with the expected denial. 

I just don't think this will happen. It doesn't happen in any tournament or league that already use VAR.

Or any other sports that use similar technology.

If anything you just get two celebrations

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Keeps get away with it too much, especially if it's a goal. The Bradford keeper in the first leg for Weimann's goal should've been a red. 

I think it's weird with keepers. I agree they get away with too much in the air (this is coming from someone who plays in goal!). Someone touches a keeper in the air and it's foul. But on the ground it's the complete opposite.

How often do you see players go in studs up on a keeper or generally go in really hard and get nowhere near the ball. It's rarely a foul and always gets explained away by "the ball was there to be won" or "He had every right to go for that". That's not an excuse when a player misses the ball in a normal challenge.

It's pretty dangerous when keepers can, legally, go for a ball head first. Look at the Petr Cech incident for example. Yet they get very little protection on the ground. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just don't think this will happen. It doesn't happen in any tournament or league that already use VAR.

Or any other sports that use similar technology.

If anything you just get two celebrations

We will see.  In tournaments people have not got used to the inevitable delay yet. When it happens time after time after time in a long season they will soon start to curb the celebrations. 

I think the whole thing will be a disaster, but we will see. 

I think it could be the first step to football becoming a non contact sport potentially.

If penalties and free kicks are going to be five every time contact is made then surely players will eventually end up afraid to make any contact?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We will see.  In tournaments people have not got used to the inevitable delay yet. When it happens time after time after time in a long season they will soon start to curb the celebrations. 

I think the whole thing will be a disaster, but we will see. 

But it's already being used in major leagues around the world. It hasn't been a disaster in the Bundesliga or Serie A or La Liga. Why would it suddenly be a disaster for us?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think it could be the first step to football becoming a non contact sport potentially.

If penalties and free kicks are going to be five every time contact is made then surely players will eventually end up afraid to make any contact?

from what I saw last night so do I, VAR will show them that there is contact, the refs aren't looking at where that contact is and what that contact did to their body position (I wouldn't have given either of the yanks penalties) 

expect to see a fair bit of hand on the shoulder or shirt pulling resulting in some magical knee buckling resulting in a penalty

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But it's already being used in major leagues around the world. It hasn't been a disaster in the Bundesliga or Serie A or La Liga. Why would it suddenly be a disaster for us?

because our refs are shit and we love the drama

expect a VAR incident to blown way out of proportion within the first couple of games

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It hasn't been a disaster, it has been hit and miss..

Just like on VT people are divided on it.

You like it, I don't like it. We both see pro's and con's with it.

Think most agree that for whatever reason it worked much better in the men's WC than it has in the women's WC.

Hopefully this is down to ref's and unclear instruction and not because this is the direction FIFA want's to take VAR.

Because IMO VAR has been a disaster in this women's WC.

Edited by sne

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How do you measure the disaster?

Yes, VAR is correcting some decisions that would otherwise go unpunished. Its just this subjective chip away at that euphoric moment, or risk of it that it will just dampen the moment (imo).

The implementation of VAR in this WC has been shambolic. They always say that with the best referee's you don't know they are there. VAR is putting the officiating front and centre which is the problem.

My personal view is that I don't agree with the argument "if it gets more decisions correct then it HAS to be a good thing". Its about the price to pay for the improved success rate of decisions. Currently its not there, and I can't see a way where it will be without being too intrusive (but maybe I'll be either 1) proved wrong or 2) I'll forget how it used to be and get used to the robotic refereeing stopping and starting the game).

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

2) I'll forget how it used to be and get used to the robotic refereeing stopping and starting the game).

Sadly I think this is how it'll end up.

You get used to it being crap and slowly lose interest.

That's the way football is going in general for me anyway (Villa excluded of course).

It's the same with F1, Ice Hockey, Cross country skiing and loads of other sports.

More and more rule changes making a simple sport more and more complicated and boring.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

VAR in La Liga has been a disaster. Think it was Levante lost about 10 points from VAR decisions that were actually incorrect 

How many points have Villa lost to Liverpool/Man U because the referee decisions were actually incorrect?

Just now, Mic09 said:

How many points have Villa lost to Liverpool/Man U because the referee decisions were actually incorrect?

versus how many we gained across all teams... fans will always remember where they've been hard done by more than when they got away with something.

• Like 1

Â