The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I think the penalty was so obvious there was no need for the time taken to decide upon it or the ref coming over to check it. that's what I don't like. it shouldn't be up to the ref once it goes to VAR. it isn't in cricket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i didnt see the decision last night (or any of the others in this world cup) but what i'm telling myself is that european refs in rugby, are crap at using the video ref. british refs in rugby use the video ref much, much more effectively than their european counterparts. wayne barnes or nigel owens take i reckon a fifth of the time to make a decision than romain poite does so it's my opinion that we just wont see these 6/7/8 minute long decisions in the prem next season, and as the season progresses then it'll only improve. and they need to scrap this 'keeper off the line' cobblers...not once in the history of the game has the keeper gained an advantage by being 2 inches off the line when the ball is kicked

VAR is a replacement for common sense, it won't encourage it.

Give it 15 years and games won't even be played any more, they'll just be run through a simulator so that the fair and correct result is always reached.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm not the biggest fan of VAR, but I'm really not sure about how it's being used for penalties for keepers. I appreciate it's upholding the letter of the law but that law seems overly harsh when VAR is applied. There has to be something preventing keepers charging down the penalty but penalising a keeper for being marginally in front of the goal line when the kick is taken is stupid. An official would usually allow a keeper to act in the spirit of the law, but not strictly adherent to it (you can't take the piss basically), whereas VAR is doing keepers for being a millimetre off the line.

The implementation is still awful as well.

100% agree and its a point I made a few weeks back (and got roundly hounded upon).

It'll be disallowing a goal for being a pixel offside. It'll chip away at the emotional spontaneity of the game, we'll "accept" it eventually but the game will be worse off for it.

I would rather have some decisions that are wrong in the eye of the law, knowing they'll even out anyway than VAR being always right (which it still isn't anyway).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

100% agree and its a point I made a few weeks back (and got roundly hounded upon).

It'll be disallowing a goal for being a pixel offside. It'll chip away at the emotional spontaneity of the game, we'll "accept" it eventually but the game will be worse off for it.

I would rather have some decisions that are wrong in the eye of the law, knowing they'll even out anyway than VAR being always right (which it still isn't anyway).

I really don't get this point. How will decisions even out?

How will Madonna's handball even out? How will Henry's hand ball goal even out? Isn't a pixel offside still an offside?

If we have no VAR, refs will make the wrong decisions. That's a fact. With VAR, they can have a look at it again, in slow motion. They might still get it wrong, but the chances of a correct decision increase.

Why is this so bad? Because it sometimes takes 3 or 4 minutes? 

If it took 60 seconds, would people still be against it?

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

the problem is that they don't even out. and say they do, the bad decision could be in the last min vs a relegation rival to lose the game, and the one that 'evens out' is our consolation 1 of a 6-1 defeat to city. it's bizarre acceptance of bad decisions to then assume 'oh well, we'll get one our way in a few weeks'

it will be used for game changing decisions, as it should be. the premier leave have today confirmed it will not be used for keepers coming off the line.

and a pixel offside is still offside. just like the ball a with a pixel touching the line is still not a goal...or do you think that should be? we have the technology to now evaluate an offside (for example) basically automatically. no, it's not as quick as a ref's watch beeping, but it's the first step

VAR should not be used for 50:50 or grey area decisions anyway. it's for clear and obvious errors. it's not the system/technology's fault if refs are using it wrongly

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I really don't get this point. How will decisions even out?

How will Madonna's handball even out? How will Henry's hand ball goal even out? Isn't a pixel offside still an offside?

If we have no VAR, refs will make the wrong decisions. That's a fact. With VAR, they can have a look at it again, in slow motion. They might still get it wrong, but the chances of a correct decision increase.

Why is this so bad? Because it sometimes takes 3 or 4 minutes? 

If it took 60 seconds, would people still be against it?

I reckon that evened out when she fell off the stage at the Brit awards a few years back..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I reckon that evened out when she fell off the stage at the Brit awards a few years back..........

Damn you AutoCorrect

• Like 1

The idea that VAR shouldn't be used because it doesn't pick up every single decision referees miss doesn't really make much sense. 

Why even have referees, or linesman, if they don't get everything right? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The idea that VAR shouldn't be used because it doesn't pick up every single decision referees miss doesn't really make much sense. 

Why even have referees, or linesman, if they don't get everything right? 

Nobody is saying that. It's not all or nothing. It's like 98.5% right like it was, or 99% with VAR but it comes with a load of baggage.

Wait till someone gets a serious injury chasing a long ball who was offside but the linesman didn't flag because VAR would rule it out if he scored. It'll happen sooner or later.

The interpretation and common sense is being eroded. Sometimes being right is not the best, ask any married man! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

About time a keeper gets punished for clattering a player without getting the ball, they always get away with that rubbish.

Didn't get punished in the end though. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Premier League say they wont be enforcing VAR for keepers coming off line for penalties

and rightly so. its a nonsense really and why hasn't one been called when a player scores? 

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody is saying that. It's not all or nothing. It's like 98.5% right like it was, or 99% with VAR but it comes with a load of baggage.

Wait till someone gets a serious injury chasing a long ball who was offside but the linesman didn't flag because VAR would rule it out if he scored. It'll happen sooner or later.

The interpretation and common sense is being eroded. Sometimes being right is not the best, ask any married man! 

Where do you get these stats from?

Because it seems to be that when there is a tough call, i.e. referee has blocked view, they have to make a call; was it a pen, or was it not.

If it's impossible for them to call, they need to make a decision and it's always 50/50 in that case. VAR will show them that replay so that they can make an informed decision. Yeah they might still get it wrong. But no way is that situation 50/50 anymore.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Premier League say they wont be enforcing VAR for keepers coming off line for penalties

I think they should. Honestly. Or if not VAr then have the linesmen strictly enforce it

It seems ridiculous at the moment because people aren't used to it so keepers will get penalised a lot. But once people get used to the rule actually being enforced they'll stick to it.

It's another example of a law being made in football and the authorities being too scared to actually enforce it. Either have the rule and enforce it, or don't have the rule.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they should. Honestly. Or if not VAr then have the linesmen strictly enforce it

It seems ridiculous at the moment because people aren't used to it so keepers will get penalised a lot. But once people get used to the rule actually being enforced they'll stick to it.

It's another example of a law being made in football and the authorities being too scared to actually enforce it. Either have the rule and enforce it, or don't have the rule.

I think in the past we've benefitted from common sense refereeing, where there has been no obvious advantage gained then play is allowed to continue. This is vanishing.

I was wondering if free kicks and throw ins will be next. Play is generally allowed to continue if the set piece is taken quickly from the somewhere in the vicinity of the correct location. Will these come under scrutiny? We have the technology now to pull the game back and make sure its exact.

I think next year in the PL it'll cause massive uproar. I really do and could even see it scrapped before the end of the season. Papers will be dominated by high level managers going nuts about it (rightly or wrongly, but still it'll take away the spectacle of the sport). I've said it before, but I think a big player will be needlessly injured chasing something because linesmen have been told not to flag.

I expect will VAR will improve over time, but it'll still make the sport worse overall than it was before it was introduced.

Â